Author Topic: Best Ice Fishing Tip-ups  (Read 6002 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Ice Fishing Tip-ups
« Reply #30 on: Oct 22, 2020, 03:04 PM »
Wildlife sports outfitters sells the roland patry traps
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 23, 2020, 02:24 PM »
Just throwing this out there to get some conversation going.  What is the best Tip-up out there?  I have been using the Heritage Laker tip-ups for a while.  It's a good Tip-up for the money but it could be better. 

Recently I have been looking at Jack's Traps and most recently Forest City Traps.  Both traps appear to be better quality than Heritage Laker tip-ups.  I'm interested in hearing from people who have used these traps.  I would like to know about durability and functionality.

Cheers,
Arctic Addict, As you can see the Jack Traps have a well deserved popularity and reputation. A lot of guys in northern New England and elsewhere fish big baits for Togue and Pike etc. including Tim, the owner of Jack Traps.
Here's a couple options that can be bought from KTP and/or Jack Traps:
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geKeeTI5NfnjMAdQ1XNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzMEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1603507220/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.kitterytradingpost.com%2ffishing-marine%2fice-fishing%2fice-clothing-accessories%2fjack-traps-big-bait-band---6-pk.-1011807.html/RK=2/RS=8FtEiAkHDcGQ6foJ10ZJl..rHtc-

https://youtu.be/fZpMTwYM4OQ
The kid in this video has no relationship to Jack Traps. He posts DIY ice fishing related projects from time to time.
If I was doing the project in the video, I'd prick punch where I wanted the wood insert and then remove the reel to do it. BTW, the oversized bit works for a countersink, but I'd use a countersink bit. I'd also use the appropriate size allen wrench. I happen to have both on hand.
All that said, I'd just screw on an OR 10 planer board release with a stainless steel screw, but I have both of those too. Not sure if that would work with the large spools? My Jack's have the smaller spools.
If those rubber bands held up, I'd probably go that route.
Another option is to replace the spool bolt with one 1/2" longer and put your own reel drag on.
Good luck with your tip up decision. 

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Oct 23, 2020, 03:04 PM »

Jibbs my Patry tip ups are my favorites also. I put heritage laker aluminum spools on mine recently to replace the originals. Is Roland well?

PS, I have a pair of Indian hills that are great also, I use them on the  2 trap lakes.
John

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 23, 2020, 03:33 PM »
Arctic Addict, As you can see the Jack Traps have a well deserved popularity and reputation. A lot of guys in northern New England and elsewhere fish big baits for Togue and Pike etc. including Tim, the owner of Jack Traps.
Here's a couple options that can be bought from KTP and/or Jack Traps:
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geKeeTI5NfnjMAdQ1XNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzMEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1603507220/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.kitterytradingpost.com%2ffishing-marine%2fice-fishing%2fice-clothing-accessories%2fjack-traps-big-bait-band---6-pk.-1011807.html/RK=2/RS=8FtEiAkHDcGQ6foJ10ZJl..rHtc-

https://youtu.be/fZpMTwYM4OQ
The kid in this video has no relationship to Jack Traps. He posts DIY ice fishing related projects from time to time.
If I was doing the project in the video, I'd prick punch where I wanted the wood insert and then remove the reel to do it. BTW, the oversized bit works for a countersink, but I'd use a countersink bit. I'd also use the appropriate size allen wrench. I happen to have both on hand.
All that said, I'd just screw on an OR 10 planer board release with a stainless steel screw, but I have both of those too. Not sure if that would work with the large spools? My Jack's have the smaller spools.
If those rubber bands held up, I'd probably go that route.
Another option is to replace the spool bolt with one 1/2" longer and put your own reel drag on.
Good luck with your tip up decision.

Since you mentioned him CD... For those that don't know, Tim passed a couple weeks ago after a battle with cancer. RIP
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:59 PM »
Thanks for the info CD and Stealth.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #35 on: Oct 24, 2020, 12:19 PM »
Jack Traps are the way to go, like others have mentioned...I went from 40ups to Heritage then back to my trusty 40’s.
Never liked or had any luck with the plastic spool that came on my Heritage Traps.... I pulled the trigger and got a set of Jack’s and used them all last season with out an issue...
What it will come down to is your preference and money.
The Roland Patry tip ups look very good

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 24, 2020, 04:16 PM »
Since you mentioned him CD... For those that don't know, Tim passed a couple weeks ago after a battle with cancer. RIP
Thanks for the heads up, Stealth! I had not heard that. I met and visited with Tim at his place of business, several years ago. He was quite a guy. Pretty sure he had at least one son and maybe a daughter working with him? Lots of good ME folks involved!
I hope the business continues.
I always had a thing about those Patry traps and wanted to try them. Nice to know they're available down south, now. Roland must be fairly long in the tooth by now to wholesale traps???

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 25, 2020, 09:42 AM »
Very sad about the owner of Jack traps.
That's too bad. Hopefully his family continues the Legacy.
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:09 PM »
Very sad about the owner of Jack traps.
That's too bad. Hopefully his family continues the Legacy.
After Stealth mentioned Tim's passing, I read that maybe 6 years ago, after his first bout with cancer, he hired a young fella to manage the business. That young fella bought the business, maybe a couple years ago? So, it's safe to assume the business will continue.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 26, 2020, 11:40 AM »
Like many things related to ice fishing, its all comes down to personal preference. I use Heritage tip ups but last year i was fortunate enough to test out a Forest City Trap Tip up.
They are a "hybrid" of a Heritage tip up. They are much more well built than the Heritages without a doubt. Quality is top notch and has a feature so not to get wind flags. Definitely worth a look if you haven't pulled the trigger yet. 
Keep in mind, heavy duty / well built quality = a bit more heavier (weight) than the Heritages.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #40 on: Oct 26, 2020, 12:04 PM »

Jibbs my Patry tip ups are my favorites also. I put heritage laker aluminum spools on mine recently to replace the originals. Is Roland well?

PS, I have a pair of Indian hills that are great also, I use them on the  2 trap lakes.
ya the spools on his traps are really cheap aluminum ... I change mine out to plastic heritage spools..same hardware
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 26, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Wildlife sports outfitters sells the roland patry traps
google his name ..Berlin nh..turned 91 I think this year ..lol cote and west Milan store sells them too..best to call his house and pick up there
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: Oct 26, 2020, 08:42 PM »
Like many things related to ice fishing, its all comes down to personal preference. I use Heritage tip ups but last year i was fortunate enough to test out a Forest City Trap Tip up.
They are a "hybrid" of a Heritage tip up. They are much more well built than the Heritages without a doubt. Quality is top notch and has a feature so not to get wind flags. Definitely worth a look if you haven't pulled the trigger yet. 
Keep in mind, heavy duty / well built quality = a bit more heavier (weight) than the Heritages.

Thanks Jiggin for the input.  I've been talking with Bill from Forest City Traps about some "custom factory mods" I want done on my next set of traps.  Even though he is a one man band, he was super responsive to my inquiries and as a fellow ice fisherman he gets it. 

Once I finish up my mod list, I think he's the man to build them.  For me, trap weight is a non factor as I always pull my gear with a machine.  Performance and durability are my concerns. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Oct 27, 2020, 08:03 AM »
Roland Patrys ..New Hampshire made

That's all I've ever used.  Some of mine are thirty years old.
Heavy duty but fold into tight bundle for storage in my  pack basket.  They came out of Berlin, NH.  Spools are a little small and flag springs are a little too strong.  You don't want to lean over the top when the flag goes up.   Too late for me to change now.
Dick

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Oct 27, 2020, 11:37 AM »
That's all I've ever used.  Some of mine are thirty years old.
Heavy duty but fold into tight bundle for storage in my  pack basket.  They came out of Berlin, NH.  Spools are a little small and flag springs are a little too strong.  You don't want to lean over the top when the flag goes up.   Too late for me to change now.
Dick
i have like 60 of them now but my first pair came for Christmas when I was 8 ..almost 40 years ago ..I suggest the shorts over the tall ones ..tall ones tend to fall over but they are killer traps for under 20 dollars

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 27, 2020, 11:57 AM »
I've got 2 of Roland's traps that my uncle gave me a few years ago, probably 30+ years old.. I don't use them but they look really nice on the wall in my den. If they weren't unc's old traps I'm sure I'd use them but now they're just for memories...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Oct 27, 2020, 05:37 PM »
i have like 60 of them now but my first pair came for Christmas when I was 8 ..almost 40 years ago ..I suggest the shorts over the tall ones ..tall ones tend to fall over but they are killer traps for under 20 dollars

That suggestion to go with the shorts is the same advice my buddy from Jefferson gave me about 20 years ago, Glad I listened . I remember paying $ 14 per trap. Money well spent.
John

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 29, 2020, 12:54 PM »
After Stealth mentioned Tim's passing, I read that maybe 6 years ago, after his first bout with cancer, he hired a young fella to manage the business. That young fella bought the business, maybe a couple years ago? So, it's safe to assume the business will continue.

You're correct CD, Shawn Norton went from running the show to owning it last summer... Should be business as normal this winter.

Offline A. Moss Bunker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Oct 29, 2020, 06:28 PM »
I skimmed through this thread, and I did not see Indian Hill Ice Traps mentioned at all. They are a great quality trap made in Worcester, MA.
The charm of fishing is that it
is the pursuit of what is elusive
but attainable, a perpetual series
of occasions for hope.  - John Buchan -

Offline A. Moss Bunker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Oct 29, 2020, 06:28 PM »
I skimmed through this thread, and I did not see Indian Hill Ice Traps mentioned at all. They are a great quality trap made in Worcester, MA.
The charm of fishing is that it
is the pursuit of what is elusive
but attainable, a perpetual series
of occasions for hope.  - John Buchan -

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Oct 29, 2020, 07:16 PM »

Mr. Bunker you missed this , I agree they're quality traps
John

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Oct 29, 2020, 07:38 PM »
jack traps or heritage lakers

Offline Birchbeard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The tug is the drug
« Reply #52 on: Oct 31, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Hi, I’ll be happy to answer that question. I had 12 heritage Lakers, shelled it out bought them all at once. I have 8 that haven’t broken 4 years later but frequently deal with the crapty reels failing to pop the flag. The hardware is cheap. I bought 5 frabil artic fire tip ups and love them. I had a crap experience with the heritage Lakers that I did not expect at that price point. Frabil artic fires: cheap, functional and reliable.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #53 on: Oct 31, 2020, 02:42 PM »
Hi, I’ll be happy to answer that question. I had 12 heritage Lakers, shelled it out bought them all at once. I have 8 that haven’t broken 4 years later but frequently deal with the crapty reels failing to pop the flag. The hardware is cheap. I bought 5 frabil artic fire tip ups and love them. I had a crap experience with the heritage Lakers that I did not expect at that price point. Frabil artic fires: cheap, functional and reliable.

I have tip-ups that are half of what the Heritages are and are over 40 years old. I only had to replace the flags on a few and use them quite a bit. Just curious, how are the Heritages broken?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 01, 2020, 03:30 PM »
I use to use this style and built them form parts out of hard wood for personal use ...see link below for tip ups and parts.

Use good hard wood if you make some your self if not the wood is Luke bass wood or balsa on the ones I have bought lately from 40 up things may have changed?

Till I switched to thermal style my biggest complaint is thermals are to low to ice

https://40uptackle.com/shop?olsPage=products

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.