Author Topic: Best Ice Fishing Tip-ups  (Read 6001 times)

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Best Ice Fishing Tip-ups
« on: Oct 19, 2020, 09:14 PM »
Just throwing this out there to get some conversation going.  What is the best Tip-up out there?  I have been using the Heritage Laker tip-ups for a while.  It's a good Tip-up for the money but it could be better. 

Recently I have been looking at Jack's Traps and most recently Forest City Traps.  Both traps appear to be better quality than Heritage Laker tip-ups.  I'm interested in hearing from people who have used these traps.  I would like to know about durability and functionality.

Cheers,

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Best Ice Fishing Tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2020, 06:14 AM »
This topic isn't as controversial as it seems, it's simple... Heritage Lakers are the best tip-up out there!  ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2020, 07:19 AM »
Bart, I agree that the Heritage Laker is a good trap but it is not the best.  I have fished these traps for decades and have repaired and modified them every year. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Can't say if they are the best but I like and have always used HTE's  ETU-10's.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2020, 08:00 AM »
Best shallow water tipup is beaver dam and for deep water its heritage lakers.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2020, 08:07 AM »
I have to admit that I don't do a lot of tip-up ice fishing anymore, it's probably 80% jigging and 20% tip-ups. But haven't had to do any repairs. And a paint job, reflective tape and a trap tag are the only modifications I have made.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2020, 08:30 AM »
Can't go wrong with Jack Traps, the quality is as high as it gets...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Iceblack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2020, 08:32 AM »
It doesn’t matter as long as they catch fish

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2020, 08:41 AM »
its all in the eye of the beholder i have and use the older heritage lakers with the metal spools and love them. but usually use my jaw jackers most of the time just love fighting the fish on a jig rod rather than hand lining.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2020, 09:12 AM »
For me, I throw tip ups in while I am drilling out all my jig holes so I am immediately fishing my spot.  My Heritage Traps are good but over the years I've had to replace wing nuts with stainless steel once the originals start to rust.  The plating flakes off the flag spring and rusts.  I use my traps A LOT and I can't say that I go easy on them.  Maybe it is me.  The Jack Traps look like good quality materials but not sure if they have an adjustable drag on the spool.  I am leaning toward a set of Forest City Traps anyone use them?

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2020, 09:47 AM »
I started with 4 Frabill Arctic Fire tip ups back in 2006 and they are still going strong 14 years later. I will admit that I have only used them 1-3 times a season for the last 5 years since I primary jig. I have used a handful of other "inexpensive" tip-ups over the years but I've never used any of the high-end ones.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2020, 02:37 PM »
I've used Heritage Lakers for a while but now that I have Jack traps they will probably be dust collectors in the garage unless I have a crew with me

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2020, 04:42 PM »
I recently upgraded to jack traps, I used 40 ups my whole life, finally bought the jack traps. I think they are the best , very well built traps, ss hardware, and no windflags ever. If the flag pops there is a fish there. They are works of art but meant to be used hard. I also own a custom "Snow Leopard" Trap built by someone on this site, they are not publicly available but are definitely in the same class. I would say jack traps.
Salmonemia

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2020, 06:49 PM »
Ever since I “upgraded” to Heritage Lakers (from my dad’s old collection of whatever his were) over the years they started to fail more and more. I am not one to spend a lot of time frigging with traps except for line and leaders, hooks etc. but I found that the little nails used I the Heritage traps loosened up over time causing a few problems with false flags etc.
I replaced all the nails with tiny screws and they worked better. Never having owned any if the other name brands I can’t say more except I believe there are better made ones than Heriitage.

Offline TrackerScout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2020, 07:30 PM »
I recently upgraded to jack traps, I used 40 ups my whole life, finally bought the jack traps. I think they are the best , very well built traps, ss hardware, and no windflags ever. If the flag pops there is a fish there. They are works of art but meant to be used hard. I also own a custom "Snow Leopard" Trap built by someone on this site, they are not publicly available but are definitely in the same class. I would say jack traps.

I would also throw my hat in for Jack Traps. I have been using mine for 10 years with no issues at all. They have been fished hard all those years and have stood up very well. As SALMONEMIA mentioned, no wind flags ever. I find that they are very sensitive to strikes which has also been helpful. Lacking that "pop" that some tip ups have when they go off.  I go to my Jacks over my heritage every time.

As long as the tip up holds your line, and is dependable, you are good to go.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2020, 12:02 AM »
Can't go wrong with Jack Traps, the quality is as high as it gets...
Totally agree with Stealth!
but not sure if they have an adjustable drag on the spool.
Sincere question, why would you want or need an adjustable drag on your spool unless you're using real big bait? If that's the case, there's at least a few things you can do to amend the jack traps.

Where it's just preseason, I'm going to have the kernels ready for all the different answers to come.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2020, 06:20 AM »
Totally agree with Stealth!Sincere question, why would you want or need an adjustable drag on your spool unless you're using real big bait? If that's the case, there's at least a few things you can do to amend the jack traps.

Where it's just preseason, I'm going to have the kernels ready for all the different answers to come.

I resent the implication that I resemble Michael Jackson (even though my name is Michael)  ;)2 ;D. As far as the popcorn goes, I usually save mine for when the conversations turn a bit snarky. These threads don't usually get that way but each one is a new chance. Standing by...  :P
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2020, 06:29 AM »

Yeah Wayne, that "snow leopard" is a really nice trap. I keep saying I'm going to build some like it or pony up for jack traps but then I keep "investing" my money back in jigging gear. I still run heritage lakers and they work fine, but as other folks have pointed out, they send really hard. Who know's if fish can actually feel that trip wobble but I've convinced myself that they can. I'm also a big fan of jaw jackers but i've found they range out. Can't wander too far from them or I start losing fish when they start bouncing tension on and off themselves. Tip ups still have a time and place and for commercially available ones i'd say the jacks are the best i've seen.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2020, 01:54 PM »
I have 40ups and they work ok, but recently acquired 2 jack traps and the quality and build on them seem superior to all others

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2020, 04:05 PM »
The original polar tip up is really a good , versatile , tip up at a very reasonable price. Light & easy to pack up also

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2020, 04:27 PM »
The original polar tip up is really a good , versatile , tip up at a very reasonable price. Light & easy to pack up also

I almost always carry two Polar tip-ups, take up next to no space and adds another option on them slower days.
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2020, 07:04 PM »
Totally agree with Stealth!Sincere question, why would you want or need an adjustable drag on your spool unless you're using real big bait? If that's the case, there's at least a few things you can do to amend the jack traps.

CD, you hit the nail on the head.  Fishing BIG baits.

Offline Maineguy93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2020, 08:52 PM »
Ever since I “upgraded” to Heritage Lakers (from my dad’s old collection of whatever his were) over the years they started to fail more and more. I am not one to spend a lot of time frigging with traps except for line and leaders, hooks etc. but I found that the little nails used I the Heritage traps loosened up over time causing a few problems with false flags etc.
I replaced all the nails with tiny screws and they worked better. Never having owned any if the other name brands I can’t say more except I believe there are better made ones than Heriitage.

That’s interesting, I have never seen any built with nails. Only blots and wing nuts.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 22, 2020, 06:23 AM »
That’s interesting, I have never seen any built with nails. Only blots and wing nuts.
Mine have the bolts and wing nuts that hold the main “cross” togethertoo. The nails are what held the other small metal pieces  to the wood. Small nails less than a half inch long.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2020, 08:32 AM »
I like Heritage Lakers. Jack Traps are also good
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 22, 2020, 08:39 AM »
Kind of an interesting thread, I feel like in WI when this question is asked everyone suggests Beaver Dams being as they are made in the area. I don't really hear people talk about the Heritage Laker or Jack Traps much.
Da Pack!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 22, 2020, 09:57 AM »
Kind of an interesting thread, I feel like in WI when this question is asked everyone suggests Beaver Dams being as they are made in the area. I don't really hear people talk about the Heritage Laker or Jack Traps much.
Both are made here in Maine, and are distributed throughout New England
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Both are made here in Maine, and are distributed throughout New England

Yeah I saw that. Just interesting how the different areas vary based on what's available. Growing up beaver dam was just the go-to. I'll definitely be looking into some of these other companies if/when I need some new tip ups.
Da Pack!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #28 on: Oct 22, 2020, 11:35 AM »
Roland Patrys ..New Hampshire made

when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 22, 2020, 12:49 PM »
Roland Patrys ..New Hampshire made

I've heard of those, any idea where a guy would go to get a couple?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.