Author Topic: New Season New Gear  (Read 925 times)

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Season New Gear
« on: Nov 05, 2020, 01:02 PM »
Hi all, glad to see some of the regulars posting again already, getting excited for this season! Been very busy this year and didn’t get to open water fish as much as I wanted to even though got a new boat. We bought a new house and now live in Plymouth. Super excited to join up with the folks who fish newfound. So with that said I have been acquiring ice gear like crazy, my setup was pretty basic last year with a popup i3 and basic trap and jigging. This year not only has my lure arsenal been upgraded but I now have a bobhouse which will be a game changer, any basic bobhouse tips will be appreciated haha. I also picked up a vexilar, jaw jacker, new to me snowmobile, and lots of other small goodies to go along. Super pumped to get out there this year and nail some rainbows. Hope the year has been good to all! Would love to hear what new gear others have picked up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New Season New Gear
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2020, 03:13 PM »
Congrats on the new home. Sounds like your stacking up the new fishing toys nicely. Not much new this year for me, bought a bunch of stuff last year though I am going to grab a couple of Pfluger's new president inline reels in the next couple weeks.
Good luck out there, be safe.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Nice I run the smallest president on one of my setups, I didn’t know they came out with a inline, ill have to check that out

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2020, 04:59 PM »
congrats on the new gear! JawJackers should definitely help you put more rainbows on the ice.
Tight Lines!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Sounds like you are ready.. LLP
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2020, 12:07 AM »
I can't wait for ice...... I finally upgrade my 6in. Nils to an 8. My kids are big enough so they won't fall down a hole. I also got an eskimo outbreak. I have a hard side that will be out on my lake this year also, but having the popup is nice for fishing different waters.

As for tackle I bought 15, 3/8 oz bucktail heads to tie up and play around with. Last year I pretty much went exclusively with bucktails and targeted lakers for most of the winter. I also got little tungsten jig heads to tie up for whites brookies and rainbows.

I was getting excited for early ice with the temps we've been having but this warm up and extended forecast isn't promising.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2020, 12:16 AM »
Congrats on the new home. Sounds like your stacking up the new fishing toys nicely. Not much new this year for me, bought a bunch of stuff last year though I am going to grab a couple of Pfluger's new president inline reels in the next couple weeks.
Good luck out there, be safe.

Those pflugers look sweet I just checked them out online. I'm not a fan of inline reels but my only experience with them is a frabil inline I won online not sure of the model off the top of my head but I don't think it was a higher end one. It just wasn't smooth and it broke 4 or 5 trips in. This was a few years ago so I'm sure they've improved a bit. People seem to like them.

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2020, 06:18 AM »
The inline are nice I got my wife one for xmas last year the black Betty by 13 fishing, she likes it a lot. Only thing I noticed is the line has a chance to freeze up more and can stop the free fall from happening, cpl light tugs fix that in a second though

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2020, 06:20 AM »
Digs nils are awesome I have a old hand one that’s a 6, I’ll never get rid of it. Although now I use a trophy strike.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2020, 10:52 AM »
The inline are nice I got my wife one for xmas last year the black Betty by 13 fishing, she likes it a lot. Only thing I noticed is the line has a chance to freeze up more and can stop the free fall from happening, cpl light tugs fix that in a second though

I'll probably give them another try eventually..... And yes the nils are awesome not sure I'll ever change over to a different auger.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Those pflugers look sweet I just checked them out online. I'm not a fan of inline reels but my only experience with them is a frabil inline I won online not sure of the model off the top of my head but I don't think it was a higher end one. It just wasn't smooth and it broke 4 or 5 trips in. This was a few years ago so I'm sure they've improved a bit. People seem to like them.

I'm a big fan of the president line... best bang for your buck in a spinning reel in my opinion, I'm expecting the same from the inline but we shall see.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2020, 01:35 PM »
I'm a big fan of the president line... best bang for your buck in a spinning reel in my opinion, I'm expecting the same from the inline but we shall see.

Totally agree I love my pfluger president reel. Makes me want to give the inline a try again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.