Author Topic: Scouting trip 1-9/1-11  (Read 1940 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Scouting trip 1-9/1-11
« on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:07 PM »
Made the annual scouting trip to the Gorge to scope out some ice conditions and get an idea of where to go for the BB. From what I had been gathering from the web confluence point was the furthest south we would go. Road 11 is not the worst road we've been on around the gorge but it did push the boundries for fishon1 towing and me riding. Doubt that trailer will ever get that close to the water on that road. We arrived around 10am friday morning after a sleepless night and a what seemed like never ending drive there. Along the way Sinker Seeker passed us on the freeway and then we passed him at the Ace in Green River. Me, Fishon1, Sinker Seeker & Prospector all made it on the ice about 12ish and started fishing in shallower looking for some bows

Ice here was around 10in and seemed a bit spongee, so we left the bikes on the shore until our nerves got their steel coating. It didnt take long for our drilling to head to deeper water and not much happened. Woofy arrived and our party was at 5 now. Fish were for the most part non existant till we got to around 40-50fow and the ice stayed pretty consistant to atleast 8in. Then some started to show but they were pretty lock-jawed. As the night approached we all decided we should move in and start setting up for some burbs. We got set up and slapthefish and hoofish showed. Everyone made it up safe and we were at 7 now. The night went on and 4 burbs were caught with this one being the most remembered

It gave Prospector a big surprise  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I don't think it got much on him but yes they are apparently still in spawn mode. As the night progressed Prospector followed a buddy down to the ice and I put him out to save for some bait later but never got to it. Looks like he's doing some spawning himself on this burb

Not too good for the burbs as everyone has been stating all over the web. We missed about 6 hits and all called it  to get some rest and get back out early. We rose to a cloudy morning and no breeze at all. GREAT way to start it. Everyone got out to do some fishing and I stayed back to get some breakfast cooked up. Usually fishon1 hooks us up but i figured it was about payback time. When it was all cooked up everyone had their fill, I was told it was not to hot of fishing where we had left off the day before in 50fow. I had looked at some of my maps the day before and found a spot I wanted to give a shot, so out to 70fow I trecked. Ice was 7in and still just as solid as in closer. We still didn't have the nerves to bring the bikes out. I did like the way the new rod box worked out as a set-up space on my sled & you can see everyone in the background in shallower

I started marking fish imediately and was having a hard time just getting another rod out. The fish were willing to chase it around but would not connect. Most were pups by the signal colors I was getting but a few big red marks did rise off the bottom more than once to just settle back down without even a nibble  :-\ As usual the flag was flying, I even found a new place to stand it up

Fishon1 was the 1st to join me out deeper

It didn't take to long and we were able to put a few on the ice

Now by far were these toads and gave every bit of the word "PUP" full meaning. I did hook up on the burbot rod

And on my way to the rod I took a good fall  :%$#!: :%$#!: :whistle: MAN that ice is slick. I did get the fish so it was not all a loss. After seeing that hustle for rods more came to join us out deeper. 1st was woofy and he hooked up with this lanky pup

After awhile everyone made it out and we were officially a cirlce jerk, just not so much jerkin. Oh and after watching some people cruising around on machines, we or should I say Sinker Seeker got some nerves and drove the bike out. It was just fine where we were, now don't think this means everywhere. It took alot of drilling holes and walking before we felt good about this

We ended with a dozen or so pups out there and most called it for the night to head in for some burb action. I just had to stick it out for the big one and think about what a great day it had been before packing it in

As i got back to where everyone was setting up for the burbs my knee had taken all it could take as I was really strugling to get rods set-up, so I called it early and headed off to bed. I don't think it was very good that night for the burbs either, I believe maybe 1 was caught before everyone else called it quits. prospector and woofy woke the earliest and headed out for the deep spots to try for some more lakers. The rest of us just milled around and sipped coffee until it was time to start packing it up. We did get some good parting group shots but just wished we would have done it earlier before Sinker Seeker left

Next time I'll get my timer figured out and we will only need one shot. After we dropped the trailer we headed over to RD8 to check the ice there and found there is some open water about 70-100yds off the point heading into big bend. Not good. There was one hole drilled off the west side of the point and it was only about 2-3in of solid ice. The ice in big bend did not look good. We headed over to the north side and this is what it looked like outside of buckboard bay

We drilled some holes and found pretty consistant 4in of clear solid ice. There were people fishing all around in the mouth of the bay, along the shores north and there was one group way out in deep water so I'm guessing the ice there was about the same maybe 3-4in. What a great trip to the gorge again, it was great meeting a new shanty brother Sinker Seeker and we will be back in 2 weeks for the BB. For everyone wanting to hook up there in 2 weeks send me a PM and I'll get you a map of the spot we scoped out. It will work great for quite a few trailers including yours Sinker Seeker  @)

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Scouting trip 1-9/1-11
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Post up some pics of the trip if you guys have some, I know there are more than i took
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:25 PM »
I have a few pics and soon as I can I will put them up. I had a great time this weekend it was good to see everyone and get some fish can not wait for our next trip hope to meet some other people from shanty be safe everyone

here  this one

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:34 PM »
Nice report! Atleast you guys got on sum pups! Ling fishing is the worst it's been in yrs but that's a good thing! I still enjoy fishing for them and I really enjoy eating them cooked up fresh in peanut oil! I have several friends who fish ling at the Gorge often and the best I've heard of was 14 in 1 night this ice season.. Hopefully you can locate a spot that has better numbers for the Derby!

Offline delement87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:56 PM »
if you look in the back ground you can see our blue and red tent towards the big cliff. i stopped and talked to a few of you guy when we left. that burbot set up was kick butt!  we iced around 50 macks and 2 burbot. biggest mack was 26 and the biggest burb was 28". i was gonna venture out the the "circle jerk" but the fishing was to consistent to leave. glad to see you guys had a good trip!

Offline Mac daddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Musky as always enjoyed your pics.

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:41 PM »
Well you can truly teach old dogs new tricks. Was really great putting faces with names . I can't thank you guys enough for the lessons and great time. Looking forward to the B B , see you there.

Offline snakeriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:39 PM »
Awesome report guys, can't wait to go myself this weekend.  I am hoping we can get into some fish while there.  Wish the Burbot fishing was a little better but love catching some Macs. 

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:25 PM »
LOL I forgot about that one tying up 2 of your rods joe. Looks like you were sewing with that thing

Nice report!  I have several friends who fish ling at the Gorge often and the best I've heard of was 14 in 1 night this ice season.. Hopefully you can locate a spot that has better numbers for the Derby!

Thanks persona, them burb #s are down for sure. We'll see at the BB, we just go for a good time and if we get into them or get a hog then its even better

if you look in the back ground you can see our blue and red tent towards the big cliff. i stopped and talked to a few of you guy when we left. that burbot set up was kick butt!  we iced around 50 macks and 2 burbot. biggest mack was 26 and the biggest burb was 28". i was gonna venture out the the "circle jerk" but the fishing was to consistent to leave. glad to see you guys had a good trip!

I was watching you guys over there as I was soaking in some of that sun in between fish marks. You guys weren't far from that other leaky crack. I think you guys had some kids pushing sleds around enjoying the afternoon also. Wish I could have said hi. Good you guys hooked some up over there  :thumbsup:

Musky as always enjoyed your pics.

Thanks mac daddy, maybe we'll catch up with you out there one day

Well you can truly teach old dogs new tricks. Was really great putting faces with names . I can't thank you guys enough for the lessons and great time. Looking forward to the B B , see you there.

It was a great time sinker, I'll get a map to you for where we'll be on the 23rd

Awesome report guys, can't wait to go myself this weekend.  I am hoping we can get into some fish while there.  Wish the Burbot fishing was a little better but love catching some Macs. 

Thanks snakeriverman, I'll be looking forward to your report  @)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline delement87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:54 AM »
those people were a little more north of us. i walked over to that open water and that was pretty scary, cant believe they had kids over that close to it.

Offline Ton_Def

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:03 AM »
Looks like a great trip! What made you guys decide to haul the trailers down that nasty road instead of Lost Dog??

Offline delement87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:23 AM »
cool pics dude

Offline RANDAL801

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:04 AM »
Great pics, hope to see or meet up with you guys at the BB.
GOT ICE?

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:54 AM »
Looks like a great trip! What made you guys decide to haul the trailers down that nasty road instead of Lost Dog??

the road was not that bad so I said wth let's go, are you going up at all?

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:08 PM »
Great bunch of pics and people!  Sorry I'm having major computer problems and can't get the pics to resize for Shanty.  As soon as I figure it all out I will get some up!  Seeing all these fish makes me truly believe I'm doing it wrong, but I guess more effort is required.  I was just so damn happy sitting in my chair enjoying the sun on Saturday, I couldn't bring myself to get to crazy with it.

See most of you in a couple of weeks!

Offline hooffish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:46 PM »
Great Pics and even better times!
FISHING TIME!!!!!

Offline mtjp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2015, 10:53 AM »
I'm headed out to Lost Dog/Confluence Monday looking for bows, lakers and kokes. Any tips on lures/bait and spots to try?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2015, 02:55 PM »
Up there we are mainly focused on burbs and lakers. Kokes are a rare occurrence there in my opinion. For burbs we just use glow plastics on lead heads with sucker/carp/chub meat at night. For laker the 3/8oz & 1/2oz  pk flutter fish in reddot glow has been the best for me. I did get one last weekend on a pumpkin pepper tube with sucker meat but that was the only dead stick I got a laker on. The rest I had to work them, up and down with most hook ups coming on the drop
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline mike182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:24 PM »
hows the ice guys

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:31 PM »
i would say not good just be careful if you go out