New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Middle Saranac Lake  (Read 781 times)

Offline wadej223

• IceShanty Rookie
Middle Saranac Lake
« on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:54 AM »
Greeting all,

Going up to the Adirondacks to fish for some pike/perch this weekend. Debating between Tupper lake and middle Saranac. What is the best access point for Middle Saranac Lake?

Thank you
Living the hunt, fish life.

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Middle Saranac Lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Don't believe there is any quick and easy access to Middle Saranac , I would go with Tupper

Offline wadej223

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:51 AM »
It looks like there is parking at the Middle Saranac lake boat launch. Its about 500yds off the lake. I'm wondering if there is a trail from the launch to the lake shore? I dont want to risk walking down the channel and falling through. In an old thread I saw that the channel freezes over enough for ATVs/sleds in some years. Not sure if it is safe now.

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Yes that is the spot that I was referring to which is basically just a little piss trickle of a creek and you would have to walk down that to the lake but can't speak to whether or not the ice on it would be safe though I know it's not deep. Parking could be an issue as well not sure if they plow that out but it's a tight little parking spot with a pretty good incline. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth it if you're also considering Tupper

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:22 AM »
That channel is a far walk, and i would not trust it being safe one bit. Its just as far to walk the trail at the Parking area to hike Ampersand Mountain. However the walk will be long and honestly ive never heard of anyone doing it. Probably some decent fishing to be had for that very reason. Its a 20 30 minute walk in summer without any gear. Probably some deep snow in there to it as well so if your up to the haul it may be rewarding. Otherwise tupper is probably a better bet. Swing in and chat with the guy at Red Top in. Full of info on the lake and always a great guy to chat with. Im sure he will point you in the right direction.

Offline jonnygorgo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2019, 05:01 PM »
You can park at the South Creek lot and either walk or ride the channel. I have done it many times, with no problem. It is only 3 feet deep there.

I have also walked the trail from Ampersand several times. Not a bad walk and we catch a lot of small pike on the beach there.

Offline wadej223

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2019, 06:31 PM »
Thank you for the information everyone. We walked in at the boat launch and put a few fish in the freezer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.