New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Caught a giant gator today...  (Read 3254 times)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Caught a giant gator today...
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:41 PM »
A pike that big would not taste good... release the big breeders. Keep the 25-30”ers.

I’m taking my son back Sunday. Just me and him. Buddy will still be in Disney.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:55 PM »
A pike that big would not taste good... release the big breeders. Keep the 25-30”ers.

I’m taking my son back Sunday. Just me and him. Buddy will still be in Disney.

I think they taste just dandy and have enough meat to make it worth while to keep. There are plenty of pike and big pike in NY lakes and rivers that go untouched without shortage.  All pike are highly predator fish with plenty forage.
I also agree that lakes get overwhelmed with them and you need to take legal size fish if utilized for consumption purposes.
Sadly,  those are the most released.

Like I said I don't target them often.  I did my share and kept our limit for consumption but no matter what,  the processing is far different based on size,  to me the taste is not so much at all.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Honestly, I have never even tried eating one.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:22 PM »
If you've never tried eating one than how can you say the pike you caught wouldn't taste very good ?
We eat a lot of food here that come from our 2 hands . If we like it , we put it on the list of harvest.

Some things we also do for recreation and or moderation consumption.
Like lake trout,  salmon  or most strong flavored fish to us.
While we love panfish for fare,  we do keep in moderation.  It doesn't take a bunch of real size pearch or gills to suit our fancy,  take what you intended to use and leave the rest for next time.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:53 PM »
My father used to eat pike through the ice. I also know other guys that eat them and love them through the ice. I just favor them as a game fish too much so the taste is already sour to me. Just like bass... people like bass, but I won’t try them. Just the way it is.

Don’t worry, I have a freezer full of perch and walleye. ;D

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:40 PM »
Pike does tase good. Not sure about the huge ones. I assume the taste the same. I never really target them during ice season but I catch a lot during the summer on the gsl. They always hang around the docks. Normally only panfish and striped bass are on my kill list.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.