New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Filet o fish  (Read 7231 times)

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
Filet o fish
« on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:51 AM »
So the last few weekends I've been coming home and filleting perch and my wife freaks out cause they are still alive... thrashing around a bit on the cardboard. Doesnt bother me but she thinks it makes me a psycho. I told her it's because they didnt freeze to death since it's been so mild temperature out. So, I took her advice and put each one out of its misery, slid the knife in behind the eye. Still after an hour drive home, each one was thrashing around...

Like I said, doesnt bother me at all but the wife thinks I'm nuts for torturing a fish.. what do you guys do when it's mild out like this?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Filet o fish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:57 AM »
fish don't feel pain just clean them

Offline TyroneJenkins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:59 AM »
i aint filet nothin. guts out and fry whole

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:20 AM »
I love bones too  ;D makes dining a adventure ,we often bet which grand child will choke

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:38 AM »
Ok quick story....had a great talk with a PETA person. How???can you shot a poor animal or bird and not imagine their suffering he offered. I was like ok I get it. I asked do you enjoy fishing? His reply was oh yeah love to fish!!  So, I said nothing wrong with yanking a metal hook in a fishes face dragging him to sunlight and throwing it in a bucket to suffocate!!!??? 😀😀😀😀😀🤨🤨🙃🙃. Silence!!!!
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Speaking of filet o fish I fish with a guy and every time we go fishing he has to get a filet at McDonald's on the way home weird?

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2019, 10:29 AM »
Speaking of filet o fish I fish with a guy and every time we go fishing he has to get a filet at McDonald's on the way home weird?

Not all the time but I do.

Even off the ice my Lowrance Xc67 ice machine can find the fish 😂😂
I live back in the woods you see

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2019, 11:15 AM »
Wack em on the head before bringing them in to filet..  seems humane (quick death) and  will put the wife's mind at ease..  win-win

That's what I do

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Wack em on the head before bringing them in to filet..  seems humane (quick death) and  will put the wife's mind at ease..  win-win

That's what I do
And it stops the build up of Lactic acid
I live back in the woods you see

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2019, 11:24 AM »
I stick the ice pick through their head to hold them still and run the filet knife down 1 side, flip,  and sometimes they still flop and cut the other side.

It's a blood sport. 
Kinda like boiling a deer head today,  lol

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2019, 11:27 AM »
I've never made antler soup before......Can you share your recipe?   :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:12 PM »
Speaking of recipes..cut up your perch in half inch pieces throw in some Pepperidge farms turkey dressing half cup of mayo chop onions garlic a splash of worchestier sauce and a egg make patty’s and fry till brown.....😋😋😋😋😋
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Well,  it starts like this,  kinda turns it a lot of stirring and scraping,  beer helps. And ends like this. Smells bad, don't taste to great but looks good

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:22 PM »
She’ll get used to it.

My kids line up at the sink to watch them flop and guess which fish are male or female.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:28 PM »
i aint filet nothin. guts out and fry whole
You eat the scales too?

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Well,  it starts like this,  kinda turns it a lot of stirring and scraping,  beer helps. And ends like this. Smells bad, don't taste to great but looks good

I imagine it does stink!!! I never have kept any antlers.....One of my boys first deer was a buck the only exception......

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:54 PM »
These are from memories with my boys. I'm not getting younger so we look back at what was. Mostly it's just photographs and a plaque or frame
Sometimes I do things to save the memory otherwise,  we just enjoy the food.

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2019, 08:16 PM »

Mc Donald's  :)  ......... Take a pic of the fish, and let them go. Hit the drive thru buy 1 get 1 fish sandwich on a steamed bun with tarter sauce. Large fry and a Coke.  Eat as u drive . Boom no guts , scales, fish flopping around. No smell of fried fish oil in the house. No dishes/pans/prep to clean up .

Best part is YOUR wife is happy!!!! Lmao

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2019, 08:53 PM »
I just fillet them!  And, how do you know that Trapper?  Just wonderin!

Fish do not feel pain the way humans do, according to a team of neurobiologists, behavioral ecologists and fishery scientists. The researchers conclude that fish do not have the neuro-physiological capacity for a conscious awareness of pain.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130808123719.htm

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:02 PM »
If anyone is really concerned about the feelings of an animal about to be harvested then one is better off buying it in a package instead.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:07 PM »
tuna strange thing is ,some people are

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:41 PM »
Put the fish in your beer refrigerator on the patio and clean them the next morning, they'll be dead then.  I know you'll say but they have guts in them.  On a 2 or 3-day fishing trip I bet you don't clean them the same day.  IMOP, if fish are cool the guts in them won't hurt for one day.

Hope this doesn't open a lot of controversy, it's my opinion.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2019, 05:50 AM »

JJ

« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:19 AM »
I like it when you cut one filet off and the fish flips itself over for you. LOL

Offline FishinDude0901

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:43 AM »
If you're ice fishing or obviously have a way of keeping your catch fresh and cold, simply take any fish you are gonna keep and run a blade right at the "V" where the fishes body meets its gills. Fish will bleed out and die very quick. 
Jiggin' Like A Fool

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:50 AM »
I under stand your wife's thoughs there start abligeing her by getting  a fish Billy or fish preist  to knock it dead before you bring it home..  see lady's don't know life's cure it's survial of the fittest.. but since like children people imagination can run wild..  seeing people dispatching or filleting them alive  so try to hide it best you can.. same thing happens to the cows chickens etc you get at grocery store problem is its already done they don't relize it happened so for your marriage sake don't flant it dispacth them before you get home.. same with childRen like little girls if they ask question like that don't make them see it could make situation worst..like turning them in to a god damn vegan...like said try to ablige best you can..

Offline twinlakesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:08 AM »
I cut the throats as soon as I get them off the hook. either use my finger, stick your finger under the gills and pull out the throat or just use a knife, or pliers. It kills them within a couple minutes and also you get nice bloodless fillets and also not sucha mess when cleaning them at home. 

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:51 AM »
I don't like fish flopping around inside my hut, so I whack 'em in the head my multi-tool.  I did that a few weeks ago and still had a perch flop his way towards the hole in an escape attempt.  He got another whack.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:35 PM »
whats the difference if I cut their throat in my ice shanty or I fillet them  :roflmao:  .... and you knockout every fish  you don't like them flopping guess you never been on a hot perch or crappie bite .....you guys crack me up..... :roflmao:  cut their throats  but don't fillet them ....that's a classic

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2019, 02:07 PM »
well you can if they don't have a  central nervous system that can relay  pain they can't feel it  ...if they truly can feel pain why are you throwing a hook in the water   ripping it into their mouth and  pulling them out of their environment  to die????

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.