New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Tip up hookset methods  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Rainonme37

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up hookset methods
« on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:52 PM »
I’m sure this has been debated before but as the season is nearing to a close I’d love to hear everyone’s setting methods when they get a flag on a tip up. What proves to be the best methods for everyone to setting the hook?  Do you like to wait for the second run or do you set as soon as you get to the flag? And does running to the tip up affect anyones success rates? I’ve heard that before but never seen any difference myself.

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
Re: Tip up hookset methods
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:10 PM »
Don’t really ever run to the flag imo really no need to. Unless it’s far away. If I see the flag pop I usually wait for the 2nd run when I get to it.
ice fishing for life

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:15 PM »
I walk to the tip up and set the hook.fish has the bait and has made the run by the time i get there.if the tipup is not spinning i will wait a second and watch then try a hookset if i feel weight on the line.

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:09 AM »
If im on clear ice in shallow i dont run. Deeper water or foot of snow dont matter at all. If the ice is cracking and popping that day im sure the noise wont spook them. Seeing you running over there head might spook them. If i got treble hooks i will set it any time the line is moving. If the line is out to the side and not moving i will slowely pull till i feel them and then set the hook. I run almost only florocarbon leader material and getting the bait to far down there throat dont help me. I want them hooked in the mouth. Seguar 25 lb leader material is super strong but a big gator can cut right thru. If i got to cut 6-8 inches off and tie a new knot every fish it gets annoying and expensive. But if i run to a flag 2-3 times and its dropped and i miss the fish i will wait for second run. Some days and places are different. Usually get there fast and set the hook is by far more productive for me.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:10 AM »
I ain't run for a flag in years ......I walk over  and give it a pull either I got him or I get to curse ....... I tried waiting for the "second run" waiting for them to slow  or waiting for them to stop  ....now I just yank it .....

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:55 AM »
I run when the ice is think/or snow cover.  When thin ice, I normally run half way then walk the rest.  If its running I set the hook, not too hard.  I tell newbies to try a one foot hook set (move your had fast one foot).  Not the full body, full arms length that I've seen break fish off on the hook set.  I was taught to wait for the second run, but got sick of fish dropping it.  Also, I let most big fish go now, and waiting causes more fish to be hooked deeply.  A quick hook set should give you a better chance at an easy unhook/release, then letting them swallow it. 

If I get there and the spool isn't turning, I wait a minute to see if anything happens.  If nothing I carefully take the tipup out, grab the line as soon as the spool comes out and hold it steady, so I stop pulling the bait away from the fish (hopefully).  I then put the tipup down and slowly pull the line in waiting to feel a fish, not bait.  If I feel what I think is an actual fish, I set the hook, if just bait I keep coming in slowly.  This preserves bait (a hook set without a fish on the end almost always rips the minnow off), and gives me a good chance at fish that run a little bit then stop (walleye, pike and perch all seam to do this often, especially walleye).

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:03 AM »
I ain't run for a flag in years ......I walk over  and give it a pull either I got him or I get to curse ....... I tried waiting for the "second run" waiting for them to slow  or waiting for them to stop  ....now I just yank it .....

I'm with you Trapper............... ......Once I get to the flag, if I feel weight on the line it's "YANK TIME""  ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Waiting ...... I waited for the dam thing to pop not waiting anymore. Put the steel to them . Run walk who cares . Most people that walk walk cuz they can't run  ;D

Offline Longlegg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:36 PM »
Several years ago I switched to single circle hooks and fluorocarbon leaders. I generally tie a slip knot on my spool and wind 15' of line on my reel below the knot when I set my tip up. When a fish hits it generally runs line out to the knot and hooks itself. I've had good success using this method for pike ,walleyes and perch. If the fish hasn't reached the knot I wait till it moves off and stop the line and pull in fish. Typically of using circle hooks you don't want to really set the hook, just stop the stop the line and retrieve.
I find the circle hooks store easier on the tip ups and make it easier to release fish. I also feel it's a stealthier method than a treble with wire leader.

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:02 PM »
Circle hooks.........the tension from the spool sets the hook right in the corner of the mouth.   I guess if trout drop the bait a lot that wont work.  I have not trout fished with tipups.....

SeanP

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:21 PM »

That's my method, but I must be a couple of years younger than you, I usually give it roughly 15-30 seconds these days for that second run. lol
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.