Author Topic: Snowdog  (Read 10026 times)

Offline Ice pirate 74

• IceShanty Rookie
Snowdog
« on: Feb 23, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Anyone try to change the oil in there snowdog yet ? I did mine this past week and what a pain in the u know what. If I knew it was that hard I would have bought a used snowmobile. U can’t get all the oil out of the motor. Buyer beware before you buy it.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snowdog
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2019, 03:42 PM »
Just get an oil extractor and your good to go. Less then a 5 min job.

Offline misha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:54 AM »
Anyone try to change the oil in there snowdog yet ? I did mine this past week and what a pain in the u know what. If I knew it was that hard I would have bought a used snowmobile. U can’t get all the oil out of the motor. Buyer beware before you buy it.

How did you do it? By unscrewing one of the drain plugs? Try using using fluid transfer pump thru the lower dipstick hole  ;)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:38 PM »
we seen a guy with a sno dog on otisco .... very cool

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2019, 03:59 PM »
I think they will start becoming more and more popular. I know of 1 guy that will be getting one before next years ice season kicks off. ME!

Offline mrpike2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2019, 05:13 PM »
i have one i pump the oil out same thing on my boat no mess

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:06 AM »
I think the one I seen a local owns he was  driving all over his yard and ice with it , was a little ways away but it was moving him ......

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:43 AM »
I have seen a few around Sodus this year. Kind of reminds me of a Roman chariot the way you have to stand up in a following sled. Im waiting to see two of them side by side with spikes coming out there sides going around in a big circle.

Offline misha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:03 AM »
I have seen a few around Sodus this year. Kind of reminds me of a Roman chariot the way you have to stand up in a following sled. Im waiting to see two of them side by side with spikes coming out there sides going around in a big circle.

;D you can sit in it, you know... those seats are pretty comfy, matter of preference.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Saw one go on LG at Pilot Knob Saturday morning.  It was the first one I saw in person and was impressed he got it in and out of his SUV on his own.  Pretty neat machines.
westernmas on the finder

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Picked up a real snow dog (husky puppy) in December. I've already started teaching him mushing commands and will be training him to pull me on a scooter soon enough. He'll be ready by next ice season!
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Picked up a real snow dog (husky puppy) in December. I've already started teaching him mushing commands and will be training him to pull me on a scooter soon enough. He'll be ready by next ice season!

How does he do in deep slush?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Ice pirate 74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2019, 01:20 PM »
You can’t get all the oil out, leaving the metal shavings in the bottom of the motor, get a few years out of it before it blows. A real bad design. Even with the oil extractor u leave some in. Oh well live and learn.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:07 PM »
use the extractor  then  add a qt  pull it over don't start it and  extract it or drain it  ......it'll be fine

Offline Ice pirate 74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:55 PM »
I’ll try it thanks trap

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:21 PM »
other then the oil change how do you like it ice pirate?

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Saw one go on LG at Pilot Knob Saturday morning.  It was the first one I saw in person and was impressed he got it in and out of his SUV on his own.  Pretty neat machines.

I think I saw the same one. It looked really neat. Was amazed as well.....at how easily he loaded it!

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2019, 07:07 PM »
I think I saw the same one. It looked really neat. Was amazed as well.....at how easily he loaded it!

Once this guy loaded it in his SUV what did he do with the handlebar? Unbolt it? I know it folds over but I'm assuming he drove it up the ramps.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:04 AM »
Once this guy loaded it in his SUV what did he do with the handlebar? Unbolt it? I know it folds over but I'm assuming he drove it up the ramps.

That’s a great question, I actually am not sure. I had to leave and didn’t stick around to see. He did say he’s from down state and decided to purchase the snowdog vs’s an atv due to the fact he has only a small storage space for off season and the fact he could transport it in his suv.

Offline misha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:51 AM »

You saw me  ;)

Offline misha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:59 AM »

That photo is not of mine, but of my bud's. You can fold the handle bar and still push the accelerator to drive it up the ramps. I personally drive it in the sled and push it in. This way all the dirt, snow, slash melts down in the sled and not in the car. 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:12 AM »
That photo is not of mine, but of my bud's. You can fold the handle bar and still push the accelerator to drive it up the ramps. I personally drive it in the sled and push it in. This way all the dirt, snow, slash melts down in the sled and not in the car.

I fold the handle in and drive it up a single folding aluminum ramp into the short bed of my pickup. The throttle lever on the motor is in the rear and easy to access.

I put the sled I ride in on top.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:02 AM »
You saw me  ;)

How you do?  We got a few lakers and smelt but overall the action was slow.
westernmas on the finder

Offline misha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Sat, yes, was slow for me as well. Got only 4 of them. Couldn't jig out any smelt. What do you use for smelt? I use small mormishka tipped w/ spike.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:53 AM »
Sat, yes, was slow for me as well. Got only 4 of them. Couldn't jig out any smelt. What do you use for smelt? I use small mormishka tipped w/ spike.

My friend was catching them on a small jigging rap with a wax worm.  He wasn't necessarily targeting them but they were hitting it.  I put on a hali tipped with a spike and couldnt get any.
westernmas on the finder

Offline misha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:33 AM »
how deep were they?

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:34 AM »
how deep were they?

We were in about 65 feet and they were holding toward the bottom.
westernmas on the finder

Offline misha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:42 AM »
K, thanks.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:32 AM »
How does he do in deep slush?

Not sure yet but I would assume he'd get cold. Deep snow could be an issue too. I was told by another ice angler, that has a 2 dog team, that they can break trail through 6-8 inches of snow without any issues but any deeper and they start to struggle. We'll see how it goes but I'd have him out there with me anyways, if he can drag me and my gear out then that's a bonus. I've always been a walker.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline Ice pirate 74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2019, 02:09 PM »
The dog is a great machine , Trap, only issues I have with it is the oil change, and that it is top heavy to the right, when in deep snow, hard to keep it straight. As far as slush, I was in about 10-12 inches of slush back in early feb at chamont bay. It struggled but pulled me and all my gear out, studded track would have made a difference.  Other then the throttle is cheapest thing I have seen, i love it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.