New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Perch Report: Niagara, Orleans, & Monroe Counties 3/11 & 3/12.  (Read 1706 times)

Offline fishryc

• Team IceShanty Regular
 Hey all-
 Fished Saturday all day, starting and finishing in darkness; and then on Sunday until 3. Starting East, and working  West, we hit Cranberry, Point Breeze, Golden Hill, 18 Mile in the harbor at Olcott, and finally Wilson Harbor at the break-wall by the water treatment facility.  Needless to say, emerald shiners were the perches choice of bait; persons using brown minnows or assorted bugs saw little action.
 We did OK, with similar action both days at each location.
  Cranberry saw about a dozen and a half  9 to 11inch keepers Saturday,  in addition to three egg laden sows that went 14 to 15 inches. We were fortunate that we were able to  release them unharmed. A few guys were working the canal connecting Long and Cranberry seeing no action. And two wing-nuts were on the thin ice at Long also. Didn’t fish Cranberry Sunday.
  Surprisingly, when we got to Point Breeze Saturday, there was some fair mid day action. We took about another dozen between 11AM and 1PM when they shut down. Seeing this, we made this our daybreak destination for Sunday figuring that well, if they’re biting pretty good now at noon, we might just spank them in their traditional early morning feed.
 Come Sunday, with full rain suits and propane heaters as hand warmers we saw a lot of dinks had moved in, and took only 5 keepers each. We were told that after they quit at 1PM Saturday, they put on a pretty good spurt in the late afternoon. (Yep! “Should have been here yesterday” as we’ve all heard on occasion!)
 Golden Hill has no fish yet. We gave it about 30 to 45 minutes both days with not a single bite.
 Olcott too saw no action both days except for a few dinks. However, three weeks ago, some very nice ones were seen taken by myself in the harbor off the docks.
  We got to Wilson in the mid to late afternoon both days. Saturday, the African American fellow from Buffalo who sits on the South corner of the break-wall daybreak to dark daily for the last few years, had  two very nice fish that probably went over 15. He worked all day for them. I would have liked to see them released in order to shed their huge load of eggs. They were footballs. I guess everyone has their own fishing “code of ethics”.  We fished an hour or so and took only dinks. Same action on Sunday, zip for us, and about a half dozen for the above mentioned fellow.
 All in all, we were happy to get a couple packs for each of us; but more importantly, very grateful  to have available to enjoy: #1- our beautiful environment, #2- the fantastic Lake Ontario watershed, and finally the great fishing opportunities that abound in our Northwest of NY State.
Scott 
"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”
 G. Gordon Liddy

hali-man

Re: Perch Report: Niagara, Orleans, & Monroe Counties 3/11 & 3/12.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:10 AM »
Great report, S!
Do you think they'll be around for a while?

Offline fishryc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:22 AM »
Great report, S!
Do you think they'll be around for a while?

Could beeeeee............... ........!!  I'll PM ya later today with MHO. 
 G. Gordon Liddy

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:38 AM »
Tis the season, been eyeing up plenty of panni spots coming up soon
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2006, 11:06 AM »
some folks eat perch roe :)

Offline fishryc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2006, 11:17 AM »
some folks eat perch roe :)

Tried it once; very "fishy" to me  :P.  Gave it to my dog too; he promptly started licking his butt-hole to kill the taste!!
 G. Gordon Liddy

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2006, 03:40 PM »
Fished cranbo on Sunday 3:30 till dark got a few keepers, lots of dinks,  most were catching fish. Minnows and night crawlers were the bait of choice. Saw one guy with a carp (yes he was keeping it...gross) and heard a few guys got bullheads. Real early for the heads, but I don't think there was alot of them around.

Offline fishryc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2006, 05:53 AM »
heard a few guys got bullheads. Real early for the heads, but I don't think there was alot of them around.

Saw a couple bullies taken at 12 Mile Creek in Wilson Harbor. Maybe everything will be early with the mild winter.
 G. Gordon Liddy

Offline bobbers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2006, 10:54 AM »
somebody is catching something
delivered over 20 lbs of fatheads and almost that many niagaras to long pond and cranberry alone last weekend

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2006, 03:13 PM »
Tried it once; very "fishy" to me  :P.  Gave it to my dog too; he promptly started licking his butt-hole to kill the taste!!
  LMAO!!!

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2006, 02:52 PM »
Awsome report!! I fish wilson and olcott alot later in the spring for the browns and steelhead did you guys happen to see any? Ive ice fished olcott harbor but other than that have never been there this early,so i'm just curious if you seen any?  Thanks
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.