Author Topic: Auger  (Read 1699 times)

Offline jstplumbin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I own 2 vexlars. my kids tell me they work great
Auger
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Had to replace my gas auger in a pinch.  Picked up a Jiffy propane model.  Absolutely amazing.    So far one bottle has drilled over a 100 holes of 6-8" ice.  Effortless start.  Highly recommend.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:10 AM »
I have had mine this is the 3rd season really like it was out last Sunday -10 started right up!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:06 AM »
I bought the clam auger conversion kit and paired it w a Milwaukee 18v and I can burn holes faster than any gas/propane auger. I get around 45 holes on one charge plus you reverse it and back slush the hole out and boom ready to fish! Food for thought guys

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Any?? Gas or propane auger?? Doubtful, I got an electric drill for close to home and low numbers of holes, works fine. I fish north a lot and trust me, if your drilling 30” of ice, ur gonna need more than a 18V drill. Don’t get me wrong, they have their place, as all things do. Just know what auger needs you have before making the investment. As for the propane augers: they are sweet. Propane boils at roughly -40 at standard atmospheric conditions, anyone try one the other morning when it was pushing -30??

Offline Mooncat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Any?? Gas or propane auger?? Doubtful, I got an electric drill for close to home and low numbers of holes, works fine. I fish north a lot and trust me, if your drilling 30” of ice, ur gonna need more than a 18V drill. Don’t get me wrong, they have their place, as all things do. Just know what auger needs you have before making the investment. As for the propane augers: they are sweet. Propane boils at roughly -40 at standard atmospheric conditions, anyone try one the other morning when it was pushing -30??

I was thinking of that the other day when we were out fishing when it was that cold. I have a gas powered Eskimo and we were having an incredible time getting it started and it was having a hard time running good. I can't imagine a propane would have held up well in that, but who knows.
Thanks,
Paul in Palmyra, Nebraska

Offline jstplumbin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I own 2 vexlars. my kids tell me they work great
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:33 PM »
I guess the trick is to keep your bottles some what warm.  In these temps that is the trick!

Offline RedFins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:37 PM »
Had my eskimo propane out the other morning at daybreak when it was -25 and it worked just fine.  Normaly starts on the second pull, took four the first time that morning. The auger had been in the back of the pickup with the bottle on the night before.  I never warmed it up. 

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2018, 12:27 AM »
Construction guys use these same drills to sink lag bolts and drill into cement.  I would suggest using a brushless drill and have a high amp hour battery.  I have a Dewalt 20 v. and have 5 amp hour batteries.  I do most of my fishing here in Nebraska and it cuts like a hot knife on butter.  I make one to two trips to Minnesota (Rush Lake) and use it up there out of my ice house.  I have the drill mounted on a clam plate and my auger is the 8 inch Mora hand auger bottom.  The ice is so thick up there by January when we go that I have to use extensions to get through it!!!  No issues with power or cutting whatsoever!  I will never fight a gasser again.  No oil or gas to spill and no hard starts. 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline fishnfinn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:27 AM »
I agree with the clam conversion plate, as for using up North it will work that’s why all the NAIFCA tournament guys use it. I have one and out drilled jiffy propane, nils master gas auger and strike master 4 stroke

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:53 PM »
I agree with the clam conversion plate, as for using up North it will work that’s why all the NAIFCA tournament guys use it. I have one and out drilled jiffy propane, nils master gas auger and strike master 4 stroke
I didn't know the pros are using them!  Cool! 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Yeah, the days of the gas auger are about over. I started using a M18/Clamplate/Mora combo this year and it weighs 1/3 of my STX pro, and I'm done drilling by the time I'd have my gas auger fired up and drilling. We have about 10" of ice and I haven't used up a battery in a day yet. I'll never go back to a gas motor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.