Author Topic: smelt/ cust  (Read 700 times)

Offline brett me hot

• IceShanty Rookie
smelt/ cust
« on: Feb 05, 2008, 09:39 PM »
is it legal to take smelt.. and were is the best place to catch cusk on Alton deep in the rocks or what?
get the gaff

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
Re: smelt/ cust
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:01 PM »
I here people taking cusk all around the bandstand area right in downtown alton, I am gonna do a little fishin there. I here people doing really well on flat areas with structure. I nailed my 5 piund 13 ouncer over a flat area with some sunken branches on the bottom. kept pulling up branches, but did get a nice cusk. not a veteran of cusk fishing, duck doctor seems to know his cusk pretty well, read some of his posts, I'm sure he'll hit this one though.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:17 AM »
duck doctor seems to know his cusk pretty well, read some of his posts, I'm sure he'll hit this one though.

~Neal

Neal, how did you know?

Anyhow,

The cusk will be moving into the shallows to spawn soon.  When I am targetting cusk, I look at a lake map and find where there are sharp drop-offs with 10-35' flats near shore. I like flats that drop off to over 60' of water. I have found this winter that the bigger cusk are hanging right on the edges of the drop-offs and I am taking smaller cusk in on the flats.

If you have a camera, look for structure. I like big rocks that are spread sparsley throughout the flat. Use the biggest shiners or suckers in the 6-8" range and you will catch fewer small ones.

Hamadog:  Anything else you want to add?

Offline hamadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:24 AM »
I was told by a reliable friend the F&G biologist said the cusk spawn every year on the same day late in February. We always catch the biggest from late Feb into march. Last week I was fishing out deeper and seeing alot of cusk on the cam but this week I'll be moving my cusk lines into the rocky shallows bordering deeper water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.