New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Woodhull Lake, fishable?  (Read 2579 times)

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
Woodhull Lake, fishable?
« on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:10 PM »
Live in CT, my family has a place in the Old Forge area, basically a 3 season camp, but if you gear up you can hang there in winter, done it 3 or 4 seasons in the past, and kind of miss it. Always liked the look of Woodhull, I know it was whacked good with the acid rain of the 70's and 80's, but I heard it was restocked, wondered if anything took root. Curious, ice is gone down here, just daydreaming about a trip for next season, also don't even know if it is open to ice fishing.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Woodhull Lake, fishable?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:18 AM »
One thing I learned a few years back from a DEC officer I spoke with is that if a lake is not specifically listed as "ice fishing prohibited" you go by the open season for whatever fish are present in the lake. Sounded kinda crazy to me so I dug a little deeper and verified that with 2 other senior DEC officers, maybe they are ill informed or maybe they're chuckling behind my back but anyway...

A key note is that if any type of trout are present, it doesnt matter what else may be there, it's closed to ice fishing.

And when April 1st hits, and the ice is still on at your favorite trout pond, you cant take fish thru any man made hole in the ice, only a natural hole. (If a lake that holds trout IS open to ice fishing, it will specifically be listed as "ice fishing permitted")

For example, Otter Lake, just south of Old Forge, has no trout present, and is not specifically listed as prohibited for ice fishing, so you can get into some real nice crappies and perch there... fished it once this year with a local guy, although access is extremely limited.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2019, 07:05 AM »
One thing I learned a few years back from a DEC officer I spoke with is that if a lake is not specifically listed as "ice fishing prohibited" you go by the open season for whatever fish are present in the lake. Sounded kinda crazy to me so I dug a little deeper and verified that with 2 other senior DEC officers, maybe they are ill informed or maybe they're chuckling behind my back but anyway...

A key note is that if any type of trout are present, it doesnt matter what else may be there, it's closed to ice fishing.

And when April 1st hits, and the ice is still on at your favorite trout pond, you cant take fish thru any man made hole in the ice, only a natural hole.

For example, Otter Lake, just south of Old Forge, has no trout present, and is not specifically listed as prohibited for ice fishing, so you can get into some real nice crappies and perch there... fished it once this year with a local guy, although access is extremely limited.

A little off.
You can fish lakes with trout.
They will be listed as " ice fishing permitted "
Also you can ice fish on April 1st for trout opener unless it states " ice fishing not permitted "
Example,  Fern lake always gets fished on 4/1 if there is still ice

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2019, 07:56 AM »
A little off.
Also you can ice fish on April 1st for trout opener unless it states " ice fishing not permitted "

right, as far as trout are concerned the lakes you can fish are listed as "all year" or "ice fishing permitted" like Blue mt, limekiln, 4th lake, etc..

I was more or less mentioning the lakes and ponds that aren't specifically listed.

modified my original post......

fordman

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2019, 09:14 AM »
A little off.
fern doesn't have trout. Tons of perch and some jumbo panfish. Walleye pike and bass also

Offline Laker Taker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Any lake with trout is closed to ice fishing unless a special regulation specifically permits ice fishing there. So, if it has trout, ice fishing is not permitted unless you see a specific regulation saying it is okay. Call DEC if you aren't sure.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Goodyear lake has trout in it and there's no special regs there.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Goodyear Lake in Otsego County is not listed as a trout lake.

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/fishing/otsego-county/

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/84975.html

S the others have stated, if it has trout ion it and is classified as trout water, and it is not listed in the special regulations by County as open for ice fishing, it is not permissible to fish for anything in the lake when it is iced over.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2019, 06:30 AM »
the trout thing gets a little lost in translation sometimes. if it is a designated trout lake, the only legal way to take fish is on open water from April 1st to October 15th. It will be listed under special regs otherwise. Goodyear lake isnt recognized as a lake with trout present at all, so that lake gets treated as if there are no trout. But you cant legally go into the moose river plains on opening day (April 1st) and hike into a remote brook trout lake and start drilling holes, it doesn't matter that it's not specifically listed as "permitted" or "prohibited", it is a designated trout lake and is open only for open water fishing.

The DEC reg book would be 10,000 pages long if they went thru and specifically listed every lake. Simply put, - trout waters: no ice fishing (unless otherwise listed) - regardless of the date.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.