New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Who's still ice fishing this weekend??  (Read 9204 times)

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who's still ice fishing this weekend??
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2006, 07:27 PM »
havent been....stupid work :( was going to investigate the upper river, but the flow jumped back up fast.....behind the hotels is always slack water...... i would use a small fly or jig tipped with a waxworm   ;)  the time for trolling is almost here  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

billybono
Thanx for the info...ive never really fished up there...dont know much about trout fishin...luv to learn from someone who catches 'em a lot...saw your pics and your personal profile...agree with you on the pre black album metallica...seen 'em twice...awesome!!! maybe we could meet up and you could show me how to chase after them steelheads , salmo and browns in the river?1?!?!

Offline tgrm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 16, 2006, 06:48 AM »
Hooking up with Jaeger and going to dredge up some Lakers and other takers on Raquette.
tgrm

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #32 on: Mar 16, 2006, 06:50 AM »
I'll be heading out to a remote pond that is seldomly fished for some hog pike!!
Is pike fishing still open?

Offline fzgil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 16, 2006, 06:52 AM »
Not till May5th

Offline dsmatuska

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Lucky Man.
« Reply #34 on: Mar 16, 2006, 09:23 AM »
Tomorrow (and maybe Sat./Sun.) for crappies and sunnies.  Walleye opener isn't until May 13.
I CAN clean fish.  My wife, on the other hand, prides herself in the art of filleting fish.  I mean to tell you, she can fillet ANYTHING, therefore I call myself "The Lucky Man."

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #35 on: Mar 16, 2006, 11:59 AM »
HEY DOES ANYBODY KNOW? ??? TO MY kNOWLEDGE ITS THE FIRST SAT. IN MAY. THE 6TH FOR EYES AND PIKE IN NY.
JACK OF ALL SPECIES, MASTER OF NONE!

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2006, 12:22 PM »
It is but I think dmatuska isn't from NY which is confusing to people because this is the NY board.  Yes the opener in NY is May 6th not May 13th. 
Yeah slip, dmatuska is from MN thats why I put NY. I hope everyone is straight now! :-\
JACK OF ALL SPECIES, MASTER OF NONE!

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2006, 12:52 PM »
My post above was a subtle way of saying that I believe pike is CLOSED to all fishing in NY, unless there are lakes with special regs that allow pike fishing between Mar 16 and the 1st Sat in May.

Offline dsmatuska

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Lucky Man.
« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2006, 01:09 PM »
Yeah slip, dmatuska is from MN thats why I put NY. I hope everyone is straight now! :-\
Oops, sorry guys.  I was just so excited that I'm going fishing this weekend I forgot to look at which board I was on. :-[
I CAN clean fish.  My wife, on the other hand, prides herself in the art of filleting fish.  I mean to tell you, she can fillet ANYTHING, therefore I call myself "The Lucky Man."

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #39 on: Mar 16, 2006, 01:28 PM »
Oops, sorry guys.  I was just so excited that I'm going fishing this weekend I forgot to look at which board I was on. :-[
sh*t happens!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #40 on: Mar 16, 2006, 01:44 PM »
Doesn't mean you can't go fish a lake with trout & pike in it and accidently catch some pike..  ::) I wouldn't go keeping them or youll be gettin a love letter from the ECO.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #41 on: Mar 16, 2006, 03:49 PM »
I would love to join you guys this weekend Robb, but I have this unstopable urge to hit some trophy waters every year before April. So I will be out scouting for a spot to conquer some "monster browns".  :whistle:
Hope you all have a good day on the ice as this season is starting to wind down.

Stay on top,
Wellsy.

dwayne

« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2006, 03:54 PM »
Doesn't mean you can't go fish a lake with trout & pike in it and accidently catch some pike..  ::) I wouldn't go keeping them or youll be gettin a love letter from the ECO.

Gee you think the encon officer is stupid.  Setting up in a bay over a weedbed with 5 inch shiners or suckers and a protected leader, trying to say your "trout fishing" will get you a guaranteed ticket even if you don't keep any.  It is just like the sportsman (and I use that term losely) who claim they are pike fishing in early june but they are throwing spinner baits into 2 and 3 foot of water contantly hooking up "accidently" on largemouth bass.  Encon has no problem writing then law breakers a ticket.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 16, 2006, 05:34 PM »
So you are saying that because I fish for lake trout in 5 feet of water and catch them there and the fact that just because pike season ended and I always use 20# test that I am going to get in trouble.. Hang on let me call my uncle hes a recently retired ECO..

Hello uncle Bob yeah someone told me that if I go fishing for lake trout up north along that shore line where we always get into the lakers in 5 feet of water throughout the whole winter and I accidently catch a couple of pike like we usually do  every other time we go there that I am going to get a ticket..

Well you can tell who ever told you that the they can go pound salt as long as you return the fish unharmed to the water there is nothing anybody can do because the lake is open to ice fishing and there are trout present.. Now on the other hand if you went to lake and the only other species were Perch which would be in season and Walleye which aren't like Delta Lake and you are using 5 inch suckers you got some explaining to actually you better just hold your hand out cause your gonna get a ticket.. Yeah I kinda thought so but just wanted to make sure thanks..

Well there you have it

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:11 PM »
But can you fish for Walleye in a lake when Walleye season is still open yet Trout is closed. and both species are present.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #45 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:28 PM »
Isn't the mere fact that no one is certain what will hit the end of their line the reason they call it FISHING !!

billybono

« Reply #46 on: Mar 16, 2006, 08:31 PM »
well if your sitting over 150 foot of water, jigging with a medium rod, using a vex, on a lake where trout is closed,but lakers are present, i think you can expext a ticket

billybono

Offline fishit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 16, 2006, 08:46 PM »
As my Friend Forest says " Stupid is ,as stupid does"

MTC
.. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time...

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 16, 2006, 10:24 PM »
But can you fish for Walleye in a lake when Walleye season is still open yet Trout is closed. and both species are present.
Generally lakes with trout that are open to ice fishing are open year round for trout. Walleye & Pike are the only speciecs of fish that have a definate closed season no matter where you fish for them or how..

To say that because your using heavy line will get you a ticket? Well thats obsurd.. I know Lake Trout and Pike fisherman that tie there hooks diectly to there ice line and my expeience has been Lakers and Pike can prowl the same structure there both predators, thats why I made the comment.. Yeah Pike is closed you can't keep them I never said I go and target them but if  your die hard Pike fisherman and want to play with a couple bulking up for the spawn find a lake with Lakers and Pike you could get lucky.. I look at it as a loop hole..Another lake or should I say pond I fish for Browns has Tigers and Pickerel also, everytime I fish it I target the Browns and catch them but also manage a Tiger now and then and if you have fished in a lake with pickerel they can be a royal pain in the arse sometimes but you can cacth them all in the same general area. I have caught Browns in as little as 2 FOW.. What about guys slaming smallies thru the ice this time of year I have seen a bunch of pictures floating around here of them caught ice fishing. Again the lake is open to ice fishing you can't keep bass this time of year but it's probably a blast catching them anyway.. You just have to let them go. I am not trying to start an argument here I am just making a point if I want to throw a steel leader on fishing for Lakers I will, but I don't, and until I see something in the regualtions that says if you use over a certain # test line fishing for Lake Trout in a body of water that N. Pike inhabit after March 15 you will be written a citation but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 16, 2006, 10:26 PM »
well if your sitting over 150 foot of water, jigging with a medium rod, using a vex, on a lake where trout is closed,but lakers are present, i think you can expext a ticket

billybono

Lakers are Trout

billybono

« Reply #50 on: Mar 16, 2006, 10:29 PM »
Lakers are Trout

thanks professor  ::) ::) ::)  read it again i guess

billybono

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 17, 2006, 10:51 AM »
thanks professor  ::) ::) ::)  read it again i guess

billybono
I gave a simple wise a$$ answer, would it have hepled you figure it out if I went DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LAKERS ARE TROUT if so them DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH lakers are trout... Happy now

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #52 on: Mar 17, 2006, 10:59 AM »
Isn't the mere fact that no one is certain what will hit the end of their line the reason they call it FISHING !!
Well, if you are fishing with a 8 inch dead bait on a quick strike rig under a tip-up, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out you are not panfishing.  Catching a pike on a 3 inch minnow where trout are open, or perch/crappies are present is a different matter. 

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #53 on: Mar 17, 2006, 11:43 AM »
Well suppose you got a downrigger pole and cleo on the end , and you are on 3" of ice , fishing thru a 6" hole! And you tell the game warden you are fishing for bullhead!  ;D

dwayne

« Reply #54 on: Mar 17, 2006, 12:19 PM »
So you are saying that because I fish for lake trout in 5 feet of water and catch them there and the fact that just because pike season ended and I always use 20# test that I am going to get in trouble.. Hang on let me call my uncle hes a recently retired ECO..

Hello uncle Bob yeah someone told me that if I go fishing for lake trout up north along that shore line where we always get into the lakers in 5 feet of water throughout the whole winter and I accidently catch a couple of pike like we usually do  every other time we go there that I am going to get a ticket..

Well you can tell who ever told you that the they can go pound salt as long as you return the fish unharmed to the water there is nothing anybody can do because the lake is open to ice fishing and there are trout present.. Now on the other hand if you went to lake and the only other species were Perch which would be in season and Walleye which aren't like Delta Lake and you are using 5 inch suckers you got some explaining to actually you better just hold your hand out cause your gonna get a ticket.. Yeah I kinda thought so but just wanted to make sure thanks..

Well there you have it

If you want to harass pre-spawn pike and jeopardize your own fishing future go right ahead.  I guess were all fisherman, just not all sportsman in here. 

Offline watkin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #55 on: Mar 17, 2006, 01:37 PM »
well it seems as though everyone is a little up tight about this years crappy season. i say you should all relax and go striper fishing on the Hudson, nothing like hooking into those hogs and they taste good on the BBQ, too.cant we all just get along. fish- on!!!!

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #56 on: Mar 17, 2006, 01:48 PM »
well it seems as though everyone is a little up tight about this years crappy season. i say you should all relax and go striper fishing on the Hudson, nothing like hooking into those hogs and they taste good on the BBQ, too.cant we all just get along. fish- on!!!!

I know!! They stole my thread too ;)2. We'll be at Gillman lake north of Wells!!

Robb :tipup:

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #57 on: Mar 17, 2006, 01:59 PM »
I know!! They stole my thread too ;)2. We'll be at Gillman lake north of Wells!!

Sorry Robb for stealing your thread. 

I'll be heading out to a remote pond that is seldomly fished for some hog pike!!

I was just trying to alert people that pike fishing is closed, and targeting them is against the law right now.  Mostly alerting:
1. People who might not know the law.  (bad - everyone should have a decent knowledge of the laws concerning the species they target)
2. People who might not care about the law.  (worse - disregard for the law, AND disregard for sporting ethics and the species in question)

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #58 on: Mar 17, 2006, 02:06 PM »
Sorry Robb for stealing your thread. 

I was just trying to alert people that pike fishing is closed, and targeting them is against the law right now.  Mostly alerting:
1. People who might not know the law.  (bad - everyone should have a decent knowledge of the laws concerning the species they target)
2. People who might not care about the law.  (worse - disregard for the law, AND disregard for sporting ethics and the species in question)

No problem!!! I was just being a smart A$$!

I see people targeting eye's on the Sacandaga when the season is closed in the spring too, I don't mind waiting till the opener.......

dwayne

« Reply #59 on: Mar 17, 2006, 02:44 PM »
Sorry Rob....

I apologise...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.