The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Sold my nils  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Sold my nils
« on: Feb 04, 2022, 10:56 PM »
After years of use.....it looked new cut great but sent it down the road. Not sure how I feel about selling it.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Sold my nils
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2022, 03:17 AM »
i felt the same way about a spotless smith 586 no dash that i had for 25 yr.  the feeling will pass brother.  ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2022, 07:30 AM »
I felt the same about an old girlfriend. It will pass.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2022, 07:19 AM »
Debating doing the same, but it pains me! Just got the Pistol, but kind of thinking of selling that to get the Lite Flite.  Too bad Nils hasn't come out with an auger with synthetic flighting. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2022, 10:17 AM »
Debating doing the same, but it pains me! Just got the Pistol, but kind of thinking of selling that to get the Lite Flite.  Too bad Nils hasn't come out with an auger with synthetic flighting.

Not sure why u would sell the nils to go to a lite flite…both curved blades.

I went to the pistol So I could get a shorter auger flight and the flat blades that I can resharpened myself. The nils was great, but didn’t like the cost of sending the head for sharpening. Plus in a pinch flat shaver blades are easy to find. Storing a spare set in the ice castle is a lot easier with the flat blades vs an entire cutting head.

It just bothered me that it cost about as much to get the cutting head sharpened and sent to & fro as buying a $40 flat blade hand auger.

The synthetic flites really don’t do much besides not having to worry about paint chips and rust. Which is nice, but wasn’t that big of a deal. I’ve cleaned up enough flat blade moras and touched them up with spray paint over the years to get them looking new again.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2022, 10:20 AM »

Why you thinking of the lite flite?

I preferred the cutting head on the pistol since it keeps the auger from the jerks and jumps that the lazer augers have. With fairly smooth break through. My 6in lazer jerks enough….I don’t want the jarring of an 8in.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2022, 10:24 AM »
I bought a Nils convertible years ago. It stripped the first time I used it and when I went to complain I was told i did something wrong. There were literally no instructions whatsoever with it.

The guy at Nils I talked to was horrible.

I love my Lite FLite.

And i still have a 6 and 8 inch Nils if anyone is interested  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2022, 07:47 PM »
Fuuny because I the have the 6” convertible nils and the 6”  lite flite and I like the nils soooo much better.  How much for the 8” nils???

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2022, 07:56 AM »
Why you thinking of the lite flite?

I preferred the cutting head on the pistol since it keeps the auger from the jerks and jumps that the lazer augers have. With fairly smooth break through. My 6in lazer jerks enough….I don’t want the jarring of an 8in.

The Lite Flite that my buddy has just cuts so smoothly and fast, there's no jerk at all that I've noticed.  The one issue that we've had with it is that the blades ice up on us when it's below freezing and we're hole hopping.  I don't know if its an issue that's more prone to the lazer curved style blades vs the flat mora?  Haven't used the Pistol enough to determine if it has the same issue.

I do like how easy it is to find the flat mora style blades on the Pistol, and that they're cheaper too.  I'm with you on all your complaints about the Nils cutting head.  I'm still on my original cutting head 4 years later, but I like the peace of mind to have backup with me and I'm not going to carry an entire cutting head with me everywhere...

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2022, 07:58 AM »
Not sure why u would sell the nils to go to a lite flite…both curved blades.

Lite Flite weighs half of a Nils & easier to carry spare blades.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2022, 02:04 PM »
When it comes to weight with any cordless set up it’s way better than any power auger but the few extra pounds the nils weighs over and eskimo or strike master is insignificant to me and I drill and hole hop a lot.  Yea the spare head does take up a little more space to carry around but not too big of a deal, normally carry it in the car if I’m fishing close enough but its one bolt ‘n nut and done.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2022, 02:25 PM »
Fuuny because I the have the 6” convertible nils and the 6”  lite flite and I like the nils soooo much better.  How much for the 8” nils???

I sent you a PM
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2022, 05:59 PM »
Just sent a pm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.