The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Mora wandering augers?  (Read 2331 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mora wandering augers?
« on: Dec 28, 2018, 10:07 AM »
the tendency of my Swede bore to skate, or wander, when starting a hole was not an issue when I was drilling by hand. Once I got set up with a power drill and a Clam plate, though, the auger skated a bit too close to my toes for comfort. Here's my solution that seems to work quite well. I just tried it yesterday on a couple of holes in a pond near the house.

No mora wandering augers!!

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Mora wandering augers?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2018, 11:11 AM »
the clam plate is having major issues. has way too much run out/wobble. they are selling them with bent output shafts.
advise to quit using it so you don't cut a toe off. maybe you can get your money back like many of us are doing.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=363348.0

i called clam corp and they said it's fine go cut holes with it and quit bashing them.
i like your work around tho. maybe make it shorter so the blades can get to work faster.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2018, 11:22 AM »
the tendency of my Swede bore to skate, or wander, when starting a hole was not an issue when I was drilling by hand. Once I got set up with a power drill and a Clam plate, though, the auger skated a bit too close to my toes for comfort. Here's my solution that seems to work quite well. I just tried it yesterday on a couple of holes in a pond near the house.

No mora wandering augers!!

I tried the same thing with a drill bit, but it didn't work very well. The bit would clog up with ice then it quit cutting the hole and it's like drilling a large piece of wood and you have to back out the drill bit to clean the bit then start drilling again.
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2018, 11:32 AM »

i called clam corp and they said it's fine go cut holes with it and quit bashing them.
i like your work around tho. maybe make it shorter so the blades can get to work faster.

Somehow I have the feeling that you're not going to quit, are you? That's a cute fix with the lag screw but I agree, it needs to be shorter than the photo appears to show. I'd

probably protrude it about 3/8" below the leading edge of the blades. Apart from the poor quality of the Clam auger extensions, in my personal experience the problems have

arisen in trying to match a Clam plate with a Ridgid Octane, problems that I didn't have with a Milwaukee Fuel. But I'm not going to carry two augers so the Clam goes in the

bone pile with the rest of the questionable acquisitions.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:08 PM »
I used an old wood spade drill bit. Re-shaped it some.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:23 PM »
Hmm..I use 8 inch lazer. I seen you can. It point for it? I have to go look now. I do not want cut in my boot or tie. Although could use little shaving of Paul. I have a big bunion on my right foot and call it Paul.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Mine not threaded with power point

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:42 PM »
So do you guys take these to a machine shop to do the point?

I'd like to put a point on my 10in mora.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:49 PM »
I'd do my own I have drills taps etc
No place to drill mine. Little cutting grinding drilling. I might make something work.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2018, 03:34 PM »
maybe this would work if you can cut the end of the shaft open.
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/ion-10-in-replacement-ice-point/0000000256748?bc=10417|10440|10441

or this if you weld a hardened nut to the base of the auger shaft.
https://www.fishusa.com/product/StrikeMaster-Replacement-Lazer-Power-Points

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2018, 04:55 PM »
I'd

probably protrude it about 3/8" below the leading edge of the blades. Apart from the poor quality of the Clam auger extensions, in my personal experience the problems have

The length is not an issue. The screw goes into the ice in a second.

The skating prob is not related to any Clam  wobbling issues. It's due to fact that the blades are almost parallel to the ice and don't 'grab' easily. More of a prob on glare ice. If there is snow or slush it's less of an issue.

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:29 PM »
I found a simple solution, make sure it's perpendicular to the ice and add a little force. If it's not perfectly perpendicular and your not adding any downward force then yes it wants to dance. Just like all the people that strip out screws because they don't hold the drill straight on the head of the screw.

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2018, 07:05 PM »
So do you guys take these to a machine shop to do the point?

I'd like to put a point on my 10in mora.

I'm retired machinist & have a machine shop at home. PM me, I'd be willing to put a point in your Mora. I'm West of Sioux Falls.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2018, 09:47 PM »
I have a few moras, never had one wander unless the blades were a sheet of ice. Usually just start ripping into ice the second I press the trigger or turn a handle, no downward pressure- just the weight of the auger. Fresh super sharp blades are a necessity with moras, I go through at least a set a year.. more if I hit rocks from ice checkers.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline socketboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2019, 06:22 AM »
 No wandering on my end. I converted my old blue 5" mora with a lazer Blade conversion kit found on Ebay. I have used it for a couple of years on my fishing trip to Houghton. Nice to for opening old holes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.