The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: K-Drill with Milwaukee mud mixer  (Read 34243 times)

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: K-Drill with Milwaukee mud mixer
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:21 AM »
The Milwaukee part number for the Quik-lok is 42-66-0055.

Offline Sthorne19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure I found the correct chuck.  Can you verify that it's part# 42-66-0055?  It seems no one at Milwaukee or any service centers can give me any information on it.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:13 AM »
From ACME Tools:

"Hello,
Thank you for your interest in Acme Tools. The **Quik Lock Chuck** part number is 42-66-0050, sells for $42.69 each,  this should only be done by (Changing) by a authorized Milwaukee Service Center if not it does Void the warranty."

Thank you
Craig
Acme Tools

From Milwaukee Tool:

Mark,

"Part number is 42-66-0050, in stock list price 42.69$ and can be bought through our customer service center 1-800-729-3878 with a credit card."

Dan Schanen

Customer Experience Tech Support Adviser

Milwaukee Tool

DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure I found the correct chuck.  Can you verify that it's part# 42-66-0055?  It seems no one at Milwaukee or any service centers can give me any information on it.
Yes it is the correct chuck. I have two in my hand.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:17 PM »
From ACME Tools:

"Hello,
Thank you for your interest in Acme Tools. The **Quik Lock Chuck** part number is 42-66-0050, sells for $42.69 each,  this should only be done by (Changing) by a authorized Milwaukee Service Center if not it does Void the warranty."

Thank you
Craig
Acme Tools

From Milwaukee Tool:

Mark,

"Part number is 42-66-0050, in stock list price 42.69$ and can be bought through our customer service center 1-800-729-3878 with a credit card."

Dan Schanen

Customer Experience Tech Support Adviser

Milwaukee Tool
The 42-66-0050 is a THREADED (5/8"X 16) chuck and WILL NOT fit the Milwaukee mud mixer.
The 42-66-0055 is a what I call a double d, it's a circle with 2 flat sides which does fit the Mud-mixer.
Not sure what the deal is with the void the warranty statement?

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:23 PM »
This is what a Milwaukee 42-66-0055 looks like on the drill end.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:31 PM »
The 42-66-0050 is a THREADED (5/8"X 16) chuck and WILL NOT fit the Milwaukee mud mixer.
The 48-66-0055 is a what I call a double d, it's a circle with 2 flat sides which does fit the Mud-mixer.

Beats me.  I guess people at Milwaukee and ACME don’t know what they’re talking about.  I had to email them when you wouldn’t reply to my private messages asking the same questions about the Quik-Lok chuck.

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Beats me.  I guess people at Milwaukee and ACME don’t know what they’re talking about.  I had to email them when you wouldn’t reply to my private messages asking the same questions about the Quik-Lok chuck.

DN
Sorry just checked and dodn't see any private message from Deal Ninja.
I guess they didn't know what they were talking about.

Offline Sthorne19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:37 AM »
Thanks for your help on this whitefishmt.  I managed to get a order placed for one.  Unfortunately it's going to take 2 weeks to get to me even though I live 30 minutes from Milwaukee Headquarters. 

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:39 AM »
Sorry just checked and dodn't see any private message from Deal Ninja.
I guess they didn't know what they were talking about.

I just sent you a new message containing both of the previous emails from October.  Please confirm your receipt of it.  If you're not receiving my messages, I'll ask Scott to look into the problem.

DN

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:25 AM »
Curious how much does that Mud Mixer weigh? Looks like it about 2 or so more pounds than the M18 Fuel hammer drill.
<===Lefty===

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:38 AM »
14# with 8” mora I am guessing 7-8# with 5ah battery

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Anymore verdict on how the mud mixers are working in comparison?

Is it slower?  Does the battery last longer?  Is it worth it?

I use the 2703-22 drill/driver at least once every other week in the off season and every few days on the ice ~3.5months - occasionally until a battery runs out.  This has been the case now for a couple years and it still works?!..  I don't see the benefit of buying the dedicated mud mixer unless I had other uses for it.. the quick-lock extensions would be great, but I also use the 1/4" eskimo ice stake tool quite a bit as well.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:57 AM »
14# with 8” mora I am guessing 7-8# with 5ah battery

My scale, with just an 8" Mora (no mods) no hand crank handle..

Not sure how correct my scale is, if someone else can confirm please? If it is correct, that would make the Mora 8 lighter than the Kdrill 7.5..

<°)))>{

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:07 AM »
Curious how much does that Mud Mixer weigh? Looks like it about 2 or so more pounds than the M18 Fuel hammer drill.

Naked Mud Mixer is six pounds and 3/4 of a once. With a 5 ah battery seven pounds ten once.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:12 PM »
Well it sounds like it isn't as heavy as I thought it would be.  I figured my Nero Mini and Ridgid drill combo is around 11-12 Pounds total. I haven't got a scale that will measure correct. Heck all I have is my Bathroom scale and it is flaky at best.
<===Lefty===

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:25 PM »
My Mud Mixer with a 8” Eskimo bit and adapter with custom made aluminum disk weights in at 18 pounds exactly.
A sweet machine to use.

Offline Sthorne19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2018, 05:54 PM »
I have been using the Mud Mixer all season also and am now modifying it to accept the Quick Lok.  I use mine with a 8 in Kdrill and it's pure awesomeness.  I also have the 2703 and it works great also and is likely a little faster and will drill more holes per battery.  Couple of things I don't like about the 2703 are that the 2nd handle design sucks and is prone to breaking based on lots of others reviews, and I question the longevity of the gear box with a heavy bit like the kdrill or any other auger for that matter.  The way the 2703's brushless design stops on a dime when you lay off the trigger worries me that it will put undue stress on that motor and gears.  The Mud Mixer's handle design is far superior and more comfortable.  The motor is still brushless but it's built to stop more slowly like a traditional electric drill.  I have also heard that most of the stress and damage on these drills is when you are moving them around with the auger bit still attached essentially torquing the gear box with the leverage of the length and weight of the auger bit.  Being able to remove it with the Quick Lok is going to be awesome.  I already have the adapters made for both the kdrill and a 6 inch lazer that I will post when it's all complete.  Anxiously awaiting my Quick Lok chuck now in hopes it arrives tomorrow.  Already having the Milwaukee Batteries (FYI get a 9ah) I felt it was worth it to purchase the Mud Mixer and dedicate it just as a Auger.  Grand total I'm in it for $220 with the Quick Lok and adapters. 

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:04 PM »
Sthorne19 & whitefishmt - good feedback.

No practical reason for me to buy the mixer other than I want one after reading your chatter and the gal has always wanted a "mixer"

The 2703 (non-hammer) is solid and takes a beating like the eagles did the vikes.  Haven't tried triggering down the drill, instead have always gear locked it to a halt, thousands of times.  I'm harder than ice on tools and this one over 2 years.  Has the original handle and on and off like bedroom lights.

A quick connect between the ice anchor, k-drill, extensions is cool especially churnin blades in the ice like butter, i'm a fan, can't wait to get one.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:42 PM »
I also bit on one of these. Mine is a one trick pony; drill holes in the ice so that's it. I have no need for Quik-Lok, keyed chuck or anything "convertible".

Anyone have any info on how to deconstruct the keyed chuck that comes with the mixer? My plan is to use that as the basis for a more permanent auger attachment. Pull the chuck apart, weld in an adapter for the K and re-install just like a regular chuck only much more secure. If I would ever need to "go backwards" I could just buy another chuck at that point but it is not foreseeable to me.

I did some judicious tapping once removed from the mixer hoping it would come apart easily (more or less) but I was not rewarded.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Sthorne19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:44 PM »
esox_xm, all it takes is a allen wrench to take the chuck off.  It's reverse threaded though and might need a little force.  I would find some sort of adapter to the gear box spindle if your going to weld it together.  I still think the quick lok is the best bet for longevity as it just replaces the keyed chuck.  $40 and your in business.  The Quick Lok male adapter takes about 10 minutes to make with a file or a belt sander and a drill press. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:10 AM »
The chuck I have removed. I'm looking to take the chuck itself apart to use as the basis for a drill adapter. I figured I could permanently alter that interchangeable part without permanently modifying a main mixer part. That way it would go back on just like the chuck it was and if I needed a real chuck for some reason I'd just get one.

My head says if the chuck comes apart (and it should) I can remove the three "fingers" and that rotating collar, open up that main part (perhaps) a bit, weld in the drill shaft adapter (one that would slip over the large part of the auger shaft and fasten with a pin/bolt through) and re-install like it was a regular chuck. Completely secure and completely interchangeable with regular chuck if necessary.

Any thoughts?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:11 AM »
Any thoughts?

I would just use the keyed chuck, they've been working great longer than Ive been alive..

<°)))>}

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:20 PM »
I would just use the keyed chuck, they've been working great longer than Ive been alive..

<°)))>}
I agree.
The keyed chuck is working just fine for me so far. Properly tightened in all three spots. I have hade no problems with it loosening so far.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:30 PM »
I agree.
The keyed chuck is working just fine for me so far. Properly tightened in all three spots. I have hade no problems with it loosening so far.

X3.   Working fine for me also.   I foresee no need for the Quik-Lok.  The Mud Mixer/Nils just shreds the ice.  It’s stupid fast cutting at 2”/second?   It’s funny to see other ice fishers gawking with their mouths wide open after I drill a hole.  LOL

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:44 PM »
Well here's the deal. I did have the chuck loosen up and drop the K-Drill in one of the holes on the first run. I did test the "reverse ice chip flush" a few times so that may have contributed. I was certain that the K-Drill shaft was properly seated before tightening the chuck and tapped the key at all three points with a screwdriver handle to insure proper engagement.

I still like the idea of a dedicated, non-chuck solution for ice drill use and will pursue that. I did discover the chuck disassembly procedure but that won't happen this season (too busy using). I'll have it in place for next season and detail the adapter and procedure at that time.

Thank everyone for all their input on this thread. Made me make the leap away from petrol before they become unsaleable altogether.  :thumbsup:

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:34 PM »
I'm going to rig up an adapter to run my 10" SM Lazer Pro shaver on the Mud Mixer.  Originally was thinking using the keyed chuck but after messing with the quik lok system today and seeing how rigid that system is I'm sold on it.  The plan is to simply cut a 5.5" extension roughly in half. Weld the male end to 7/8 shaft for the auger and replace the chuck w/ quik lok eventually.  In the meantime...use the other half of the extension (female end)  chucked up in the Mud Mixer.  I guess when I get the chuck swapped out I'll have to either use my m18 drill for my Kdrill or make it quick lok ready also like whitefishmt did. 
]

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:39 PM »
The 48-66-0055 is a what I call a double d, it's a circle with 2 flat sides which does fit the Mud-mixer.
Whitefishmt, I'm confused here.  Is the correct part the 42 or 48?  I'm bout to order the 42 but noticed ur reference that it's threaded and won't work and need the double d 48.
]

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Whitefishmt, I'm confused here.  Is the correct part the 42 or 48?  I'm bout to order the 42 but noticed ur reference that it's threaded and won't work and need the double d 48.
Well I'm bad.
I did go back and correct the part number.
It should be 42-66-0055.
Sorry about that.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Well I'm bad.
I did go back and correct the part number.
It should be 42-66-0055.
Sorry about that.
Thank ya Sir!
Was 99.9% certain it is the 42 since couldnt find the other in searching it.   When you fab'd the Kdrill  did you just use an extension or is there a cheaper alternative to get the male end?
]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.