Author Topic: Traction screws in Cabelas's Trans Alaskan's  (Read 1124 times)

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
Traction screws in Cabelas's Trans Alaskan's
« on: Nov 06, 2013, 10:50 AM »
A lot of talk on here about traction screws just wanted a reply from people on what length you've used and any bad experiences you may have had with over length screws.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Traction screws in Cabelas's Trans Alaskan's
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2013, 11:05 AM »
A lot of talk on here about traction screws just wanted a reply from people on what length you've used and any bad experiences you may have had with over length screws.
;D  Do not use over-length screws - you won't like them.  That's not from personal experience!
Anyways - I have a pair of TransAlaskan boots and I put the screws to them.  Used 3/8" Stainless Sheetmetal Screws.  No mishaps and they are great.  The only thing you run into is when there is fresh, powdery snow and the screws don't make it to the ice.  Not terrible but can be an issue (same with any traction aide).  Also, no walking on the tile and hardwood floors at home.  :woot:  Not a problem for me - I always dress when I get to my fishing destination.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2013, 11:39 AM »
So you have had no problem with the screws pulling out?
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2013, 02:18 PM »
So you have had no problem with the screws pulling out?

None in 3 years (seasons) of fishing.  I don't think they will come out on their own, not from walking on ice and snow.  They also look as they did the day I put them in.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2013, 05:07 PM »
I agree with FISHFORPIKE, mostly, ha. I used 3/8" X #8 Hex head stainless steel sheet metal screws.   I also marked a 1/16" dill bit with masking tape, to limit the pilot hole to 1/4". That helps the screws go in straight.     Puttin'  'em in with a 5/16" socket makes it caveman easy.    ;)2
Walkin' is difficult, but can be learned, I will never do more than a short-step walk. Driving is a no-no.    :woot:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.