Author Topic: Interior Alaska's, first Icegator review  (Read 812 times)

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Interior Alaska's, first Icegator review
« on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:05 PM »
Well so far I have had nothing but good things to say about the gator. Although so far, I've only drilled a few holes with it and it has been in the + 20's to 30's here, it has performed flawlessly. I cut through about a foot of ice on the Chena river in only 4 seconds. It took me 10 seconds today to drill through 24"s on a pond off the Chena. The 4.4 hp with my Eskimo Quantum is like cutting through butter with a hot knife. When they say hold on and plant your feet, they really mean it. It has so much power, there is no doubt in my mind that this thing would turn a 10" just as well as the 8". You may get a few less holes but in theory the power is there to make it happen.
The reverse works well for almost slushing out the hole completely.

I will agree that there is a small weight issue but no more than a regular auger.

I do have a few suggestions for improvement since I have been ablle to handle it first hand:
  • Add a toggle or flip cover over the buttons to prevent accidental activation
  • A cover for the charging port
  • A cover for transporting to prevent anything from damaging or puncturing the batteries while in transport

• So far I have cut about 1o holes and it has not even shown a sign of even slugging down at all, even with a third rated auger bit.

I already have other's like the MWR outdoor rec on Wainwright take interest in them and loking to buy them for rental use.

I want to get it out and show people how it works and let them handle it as this was the whole purpose of getting it sent up here. We just need to decide where to do it on Saturday.

Any suggestions ??? Try to keep it somewhere we will get a lot of people close by or where there will be a lot of fisherman if the weather holds like it is supposed to.

Speak up

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • George Lake February '09
    Re: Interior Alaska's, first Icegator review
    « Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:23 PM »
    Brad,

I'll be down at the cabin this weekend, let me know if you decide to go to Birch or Harding.

KP

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
    • Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2008, 01:37 AM »
    What ??? I suppose you would like it if I drilled your holes out for you huh!!!

I would if, if I get down that way. I was thinking I could have the shanty done enough to maybe have it out late Friday or first thing Saturday and put it out on Birch. I am almost there; maybe a good half days work, if I take the afternoon off tomorrow and I probably will.

I just need to find an army cot or two since I will probably try and spend the night out there. Otherwise I will just come down for the day

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2008, 01:54 AM »
    I just need to find an army cot or two since I will probably try and spend the night out there.

I have one I'd let you bum for such an honorable purpose as breaking in a new shanty!

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2008, 02:34 AM »
    So is it going to be Saturday at Birch Lake for the unveiling of your shanty and the Icegator?  If so I will try to get off work or if I can't, do you want to borrow my nils blades?  Let me know.
    Travis

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
    • Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2008, 02:45 AM »
    I will try and make it to Birch tomorrow, I hope.

I'm not sure if I'm coming down with something or what. I came in around 6:30 this evening, had a drink, talked to my family for a couple of minutes, watched a little tv and finally woke myself up out of the chair to go to bed just a few minutes ago. I didn't even eat dinner ???.

On the shanty thing it, well you see, I can't seem to find a dang trailer 8' wide in the bed or a tilt deck that wide over the wheels right now >:( :%$#!: :%$#!:. I can find some that would work ??? ; like it would probably stick out over the sides and have to ride on the fender wells but it would take some lifting and some help. It's ready to go now but I will keep working on it until I can get the trailer here in the yard to get it out there. So no unveil of the shanty this week at Birch :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.