Author Topic: Are portable pop up shelters considered bob houses?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline joedigio

• IceShanty Rookie
Are portable pop up shelters considered bob houses?
« on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:37 AM »
I know that there are specific rules regarding the attachment of nameplates and reflective markings for bob houses. Are they also required to be on portable pop up shelters that you put up and take down everyday? Thanks! Joe

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Are portable pop up shelters considered bob houses?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:56 AM »
I believe the legal answer is yes. The current 2015 fishing publication doesn't include a definition for "bobhouse," but in previous publications I remember reading that a bobhouse was defined as any permanent or temporary portable structure -- which would include pop ups. I sure wish F&G would make these things clear in the rule book and keep it in there every year.

::EDIT::

Unless they changed the rules since 2006, I found the answer: http://www.wildnh.com/Newsroom/News_2005/News_2005_Q4/Fish_Rules_new_2006.htm

"Bobhouses now must display 12 square inches of reflective material on the outside of each of the four walls. This includes portable shelters."

Offline FirstTimer1311

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live free and fish
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:58 AM »
I think that in the grey area of the rules you can get away with not tagging your portable cause it's not "permanent" but if you anchor it down I would just to be safe not worth a ticket for a small piece of paper
Fishing...........even the word is relaxing

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Bobhouses now must display 12 square inches of reflective material on the outside of each of the four walls

I should have looked before I posted, but pretty sure the rule on reflective material was amended to ""half way up "each" side"". So, if you have an octagonal bob house you need 8 reflectors, 12 sq " half way up each side.  ;)
And I agree legally (technically) pretty sure that portables have to follow the same rules... 

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Technically all bob houses are "temporary" since they can't be left on the lakes all year round.
Portable shelters don't count because they are typically not left out overnight, or for days on end.
If they were the rules would definitely apply.

Portables, pop-ups and pull-over shelters are usually removed when the angler leaves the ice at the end of the day.
Shanties are not.

I know when I bought my Clam shelter it had reflective strips already attached.

The identification and reflectors are required for hard-sided shelters that are left out on the ice,
mainly because of the night time vehicle traffic on the ice.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline FirstTimer1311

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live free and fish
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:05 PM »
12 square inches means you can use a strip that is 6" long and 2" wide just an fyi
Fishing...........even the word is relaxing

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:22 PM »
I would say it would depend on how you use your pop up.  Look at the rules.  Name, address, reflective material and must be off the ice by April 1st.  These requirements are set in place for shacks left unattended for periods of time throughout the winter.  If you come and go with your pop up then it does not apply.  If you leave your pop up unattended on the ice then it would apply.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:26 PM »
What I was told by a game officer in Dublin is if a portable is left unattended (even just 15 minutes) it needs ID, if your with in eye line of it no ID required.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Exactly the spirit of the law.  Reflective material for visibility to avoid crashes with ohrv's and contact info to assist in locating an owner in the event of a problem.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:04 AM »
If you have a question of law call F&G Law Enforcement at 271-3127. 

Offline dryfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:08 AM »
What I was told by a game officer in Dublin is if a portable is left unattended (even just 15 minutes) it needs ID, if your with in eye line of it no ID required.

Glad I saw this post !

I bought a Shappell 4 person last year and did leave it out over night a couple of times as well as taking off for food and supplies many times too.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2014, 02:00 PM »
Glad I saw this post !

I bought a Shappell 4 person last year and did leave it out over night a couple of times as well as taking off for food and supplies many times too.

Yeah, he made a point of saying even just a few minutes for a bait run or to grab lunch.
My Bayrunner has my info on it but you have to walk right up to it to see it, It's just written above one of the doors with a sharpie. He said technically I was not legal because they aren't 2" letters but he was fine with it and wouldn't give me a ticket if he came upon it unattended.
I never leave it alone anyway, I just wanted my info on it in case I have to go checking pawn shops or Craigslist if it came up missing from the bed of my truck..
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Portables would be eligible due to the nature of the wind on most lakes....meaning you pop-up/flip-over might decide to go sailing across the lake with or wothout you!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.