Author Topic: single hook on rattle spoons ?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
single hook on rattle spoons ?
« on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:12 AM »
I need to change out some treble hooks on vmc and buckshot rattle spoons I use for yellow perch and largemouth bass , I was thinking of using single siwash hooks in # 8 and # 6 , thought with the longer shank would be more action of the waxie or worm . any thoughts appreciated .    THANKS

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: single hook on rattle spoons ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:44 AM »
Some add a Fastach ..adds a little more swing ..single hooks with the barb pinched down makes for fast unhooking

https://stringease.com/collections/snaps

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:46 AM »
i change most of my spoons to single siwash. i think size 4. you may have a hard time getting soft bait to stay on. look at octopus bait holders.

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Good video

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:41 PM »
Siwash or Sproat hooks will work just fine.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2019, 12:07 PM »
For bass and perch, a single should work just fine. I like single hooks when using whole minnows on spoons, otherwise I use trebles. VMC 9650 to be exact, short shank and REALLY sharp.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2019, 01:45 PM »
hardwaterdiehard ,   thanks for posting these videos , that is what i had in mind , i used a rosco duo lock snap on a rattle spoon then  attached the single hook to it  have not tried  it yet but should work just looks odd .      THANKS TO ALL FOR THE REPLIES !

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2019, 01:51 PM »
I switched my treble hooks that come with the rattle spoons for the next size up "circle" hooks; better hook ups, fewer losses at the hole. The circle hooks usually grab at the corner of the jaw. Also faster to unhook and get back down

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:05 AM »
I switched my treble hooks that come with the rattle spoons for the next size up "circle" hooks; better hook ups, fewer losses at the hole. The circle hooks usually grab at the corner of the jaw. Also faster to unhook and get back down
Just make sure your not doing a hook set when using inline circle hooks. When the fish bites, you just start reeling and the fish hooks itself as it swims away.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2019, 10:21 AM »
Just make sure your not doing a hook set when using inline circle hooks. When the fish bites, you just start reeling and the fish hooks itself as it swims away.
And you have to let the fish eat it fully for it to work correctly. The hook has to go inside the mouth completely so it can turn and catch the corner, otherwise you will miss every time.

I suspect you are using octopus hooks and not circles though, I cant see how a circle would work with an ice spoon.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2019, 10:38 AM »
you are correct; my mistake, I am using the Octopus hooks on the lures; circle hooks on the tip ups.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.