Author Topic: Vexilar fl-8 ice ducer?  (Read 2964 times)

Offline MeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When I'm not fishin, I'm smoking meats.
Vexilar fl-8 ice ducer?
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Ok guys, new to the world of using electronics so a couple quick questions. Picked up a gently used fl-8se a few weeks back. Bought the S-cable for it as many suggested it helps with shallow water, which I must say, I does. Anyhow, whats up with the different ice ducers available? Is there one degree model thats better than others or are they designed to function better fishing at certain depths?

IS there anyway to tell what degree one came with Vexilar I bought? Any input is helpful, and if this has been brought up before, maybe toss a link to that discussion. Thanks.
A rotten day of fishin is better than a good day at work.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Vexilar fl-8 ice ducer?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:44 PM »
fl8 pretty much comes with a 19 degree ducer which is a  wide angle for water up to 30.although it will work deeper tho.s cable cuts power in half so your unit will have low power mode.12 degree all around depth ducer.9 narrow cone angle good for deeper water.look on the ducer it should have a degree number somewhere.

Offline MeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When I'm not fishin, I'm smoking meats.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Thank you, I do appreciate your help. :thumbsup:
A rotten day of fishin is better than a good day at work.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:41 PM »
From Vexilar

On our newer 19º and 12º Iceducers this will be stamped in the top of the transducer.  If it has a blue bottom it is a Proview Iceducer.  If your transducer has a red bottom it is a Tri-Beam Iceducer.

If you have an older transducer it becomes harder to tell unless you are familiar with the difference in size.  Typically FL-8’s came standard with a 19º Iceducer

The first few years things were easy. It was just the Ice-Ducer. Then came the Narrow Beam and Dual Beam Ice-Ducers, and lately the 12 degree. Now things get a bit more interesting. As far as choosing the correct beam angle, read the previous article. Depending on the age, there may no markings on the Ice-Ducer to indicate which degree it is, but you can tell just by looking at it’s size.

The old standard 19 degree Ice-Ducer is 1 1/2″ in diameter and about 3″ tall. The newer style 19 has similar dimensions, but is cone shaped at the top. The 9 degree and Dual Beam, on the other hand, are almost 2 1/2″ in diameter and about 3″ tall, cone shaped at the top. The Dual Beam Ice-Ducer will have switch box in the cord. The 12 degree Ice-Ducer is about 1 3/4 inches across.

Ice-Ducers will continue to evolve. As we find better ways of doing things, you’ll see more and more changes. Also, the popularity of the Ice-Ducer has brought “copy cats” to the market, but remember, just because it hangs, doesn’t mean it’s an Ice-Ducer.

http://vexilar.com/blog/2014/08/28/choosing-a-transducer-beam-angle
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.