Author Topic: Are the uscg appoved float suits worth the extra $$$  (Read 7397 times)

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
Are the uscg appoved float suits worth the extra $$$
« on: Dec 23, 2018, 04:43 PM »
I got a little money left over from xmas after working a ton of o/t that ruined my deer season so i want to try and make ice season as good as possible and want to invest in a float suit since i live in ny and have to have uscg appoved floatation on while im out fishing out in thd boat after nov 1i thought id dbl down and get a float suit and those little reflectors add a couple hundos and i dont need it but does anyone know of any reason other then the uscg appoved tag are they worth spending the extra money when i can just buy one for less and just throw on a life vest

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Are the uscg appoved float suits worth the extra $$$
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2018, 04:48 PM »
Just bought the Clam Ascent float suit... it' isn't CG approved but it will keep me a float. That's all I care about!

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2018, 12:48 AM »
Thats what i was looking at today

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2018, 01:27 AM »
Just bought the Clam Ascent float suit... it' isn't CG approved but it will keep me a float. That's all I care about!

don't know if you heard about it or not but Clam is giving a free pair of the new Sub Zero X boots with the purchase of the Ascent & Rise Suits. there is how ever a 19.95 shipping charge. so you might spend $19.95 but the boots are valued at $180.00 this offer only applies to in store purchases only not valid for online orders.

Promo goes until the end of Jaunuary 2019 now. You will need to send in your receipt with this so make a copy to keep for your self as only originals will be excepted. all the details are on the form.

here is the form you will need to fill out and send in :

www.clamoutdoors.com/bootoffer
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2018, 01:31 AM »
Thats what i was looking at today

the Ice Armor by Clam floating suits are not coast guard approve and neither are the Striker brand suits. only certified suits would be the ones from Frabil or going with one of the Mustang suits.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:01 AM »
As mentioned the striker which u have is not uscg approved, but will float you long enough to get out if anything happens !!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:05 AM »
My Frabill I float bibs seemed to work last year for me when I went through. Was able to get out unassisted and get back to my truck to dry off and warm up
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2018, 07:12 AM »
I have used Arctic Armour Plus and now Striker Climate neither of which are USCG approved. Both work to keep you on top if you fall in. I like the quality and additional warmth with the Striker. A buddy has the Ice Armour Clam Lift and says he isn't impressed.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2018, 07:55 AM »
don't know if you heard about it or not but Clam is giving a free pair of the new Sub Zero X boots with the purchase of the Ascent & Rise Suits. there is how ever a 19.95 shipping charge. so you might spend $19.95 but the boots are valued at $180.00 this offer only applies to in store purchases only not valid for online orders.

Promo goes until the end of Jaunuary 2019 now. You will need to send in your receipt with this so make a copy to keep for your self as only originals will be excepted. all the details are on the form.

here is the form you will need to fill out and send in :

www.clamoutdoors.com/bootoffer

Thanks... sent in the required paperwork and money, now I'll wait.

Offline Owentstr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2019, 08:25 AM »
Man, too bad I missed this.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2019, 09:56 AM »
I had a Frabill CG approved coat, and while it was probably a great life jacket, it suffered as a coat. The insulation was stable of foam, which did not conform and keep me warm like my Striker. There were also places between sheets of foam that had little or no insulation. I switched to a down parka when it was cold. Be sure to try it on, and make sure it is enough coat for the temperatures you expect to encounter.

:tipup:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2019, 09:32 PM »
When it comes down to it, your life is always worth it.

If it's money...I always suggest getting a flotation vest and wear it underneath your jacket.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2019, 05:33 AM »
 I have a climate float suit  and is the warmest thing I’ve ever worn but using a ice spud to check ice thickness never hurts ,
  Nothing wrong with a Life vest  but with inflatable types should be worn on the outside

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2019, 06:21 AM »
One other thing bout the co2 powered life vests. I was thinking of using mine for ice this season and was wondering how the gas works in cold temps. the manufacturer of the one I have told me their vests are not recommended for ice fishing. They also told me not to bank on it working as it should in temps lower than 40 F. Don't know if this is true but I am not going to test the information.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2019, 12:34 PM »
I use float bibs every time out....i wear a life jacket on 3" ice or less. Its cheap insurance honestly

Catchin' Fish

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2019, 02:28 PM »
Because I've got great outerwear that is going to be with me a while I use my inflatable PFD. Very low profile and had a manual deploy in addition to the auto inflate. My goal is to be smart/careful enough so I never need it. On the other hand you can never be too careful...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2019, 01:54 PM »
Because I've got great outerwear that is going to be with me a while I use my inflatable PFD. Very low profile and had a manual deploy in addition to the auto inflate. My goal is to be smart/careful enough so I never need it. On the other hand you can never be too careful...
So just out of curiosity doesn’t the manual deploy option still depend on then CO2 to inflate the vest? It is my understanding that the auto inflation works by the trigger getting wet. So if what the manufacturer told me is accurate it won’t matter if it automatically inflates or you pull the cord, if the gas cartridge don’t work it won’t matter how it is activated. As far as safety on the ice I use a spud every time I walk out on the ice! I go out today and there is 6” of nice clear ice. I go out tomorrow to the same location and I still spud my way out. Wear my picks. Most of the areas I fish I am close to standing timber, it is where the panfish hang out. Don’t take long once I find my spot to toss my rope  around a trunk. Toss the rope through my holes. Figure I can get to the rope with my picks. May seem like I am being a sissy but I bet You and me will be around for next season!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2019, 02:58 PM »
Well Unclegillhunter, my day is not wasted. Of course, I did not fully read the use instructions  :P so I've learned something new. The lower pressure of CO2 in the cold certainly makes scientific sense. On the other hand if it was worn under at least one layer of outer wear it should be comfortably above freezing. Additionally by brain suggests a neoprene knee wrap and a dry chem handwarmer should do the trick as well. Really all that has to stay warm is the CO2 cartridge to get proper inflation.

Realistically though it may not be something I wish to rely on. Thanks for the heads up! Bottom line is there's no substitute for common sense. I've done some rubber ice but not over where I couldn't at least hit bottom easily and never alone. Always got a boat cushion and 50" of rope in the sled too. No tellin' when someone else might get stupid.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2019, 03:59 PM »
You can still freeze to death once you're out. Dry clothes,  heater, ect are usually left out of the float suit conversation like you're magically safe once you're out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.