Author Topic: Snow Dog Track Sled  (Read 112503 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snow Dog Track Sled
« Reply #60 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:23 AM »
Gamalot, do you routinely stand up while driving the sled?  I've done it a bit but have a fear of crashing and breaking old bones or my knee replacement.

That is all I have for now but will probably buy the seat when my dealers get them in stock. I never had any issue or fear about falling out but then I don't run it very fast at all. It will move right along towing me and my sled shanty at around 20 MPH but I just cruise along at maybe 5-8 MPH and happy to not being worn out when I get to my spot.

Check this out, I sent a review to SnowDog and they posted it all over and on FB. https://snowdog.com/content/news_page/40

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 16, 2018, 01:43 PM »
The dealer said don't put screws in if you plan on using it for hunting, or trails or grass...I am hoping that a wide smitty for the sled behind the sled will prevent it from trying to spin out. I hope to try it this weekend. It was a blast just playing with it in the yard. I just have to figure how to effectively transport it to the lake along with all my gear with a short bed truck.....been looking at cargo carrier, but may just need to bring a trailer. Hoping for some snow and take it out on some trails....it will spin the heads of the snowmobile owners for sure.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:54 PM »
The dealer said don't put screws in if you plan on using it for hunting, or trails or grass...I am hoping that a wide smitty for the sled behind the sled will prevent it from trying to spin out. I hope to try it this weekend. It was a blast just playing with it in the yard. I just have to figure how to effectively transport it to the lake along with all my gear with a short bed truck.....been looking at cargo carrier, but may just need to bring a trailer. Hoping for some snow and take it out on some trails....it will spin the heads of the snowmobile owners for sure.

SnowDog sells and recommends ice screws for them. They do not recommend the bolt in spike studs that most snowmobiles use. I don't see where ice screws will make any difference on land, trails or grass but they can be un screwed as easy as screwed in. They definitely help on glare ice and you will see.

I have a utility trailer I dragged it on once. By the time I got to the lake on crappy roads the dog and my shanty were covered with sand, stones and salt from the spray off my truck. I bought a clam shell enclosed tilt bed snowmobile trailer and it fits my 2 many Clam, my 3 man Otter XT Pro Resort flip over and my Snow dog. Better yet I can store all of this right in the trailer all year and not have to worry about the damn mice that eat my fabric when the shanties are in the shed or barn. No leaks and no mice can get in the trailer. Just think about how dirty your tailgate gets on crappy roads so if you do get a cargo carrier be sure to buy a nice cover for the dog or it will be full of crap from the roads.

Gam

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:12 PM »
Had my new one on a rear hitch rack last year. Bad idea, lots of rust appeared from the blasted road salt. My current shanty build will allow the track sled to be inside the shanty on the utility trailer.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:26 PM »
Had my new one on a rear hitch rack last year. Bad idea, lots of rust appeared from the blasted road salt. My current shanty build will allow the track sled to be inside the shanty on the utility trailer.

Exactly! If it can't go up in the bed of your pick up or inside your SUV or van then it has to be covered in some other way. Traveling on nasty roads here in winter I get all kinds of what I call Carbunkles inside the wheel wells of my truck. Now with the enclosed clam shell snowmobile trailer I get them on the front nose of the shell which would otherwise be right on the Snowdog and my fishing shanty. When you see snowmobiles being towed on an open trailer you almost always see them with a cover over the machine and the trailer has a bull nose in the front. My first drag to the lake was a disaster and I had to stop at the DIY car spray wash on the way home just to get all the crap off the machine and then let it dry in the garage for 2 days. The things we learn with new ideas are priceless but I spent just under $3500 on the dog and sled and another $1400 for the Triton enclosed used trailer and then another $1400 for the new Otter XT Pro Resort 3 man shanty so for about half the price of just a new snowmobile I have all my bases covered. A new snowmobile with enclosed trailer and a new shanty would have been well over $15,000. See you on the ice and then again in the spring and summer dragging fire wood and then in the fall while hunting and then in the winter while ice fishing and all on my Snowdog. Oh wait, guess I won't be seeing the snowmobiles out there except in the winter when we get snow. I am an A hole but I get to be one 12 months a year.

Gam 

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:30 PM »
Exactly! If it can't go up in the bed of your pick up or inside your SUV or van then it has to be covered in some other way. Traveling on nasty roads here in winter I get all kinds of what I call Carbunkles inside the wheel wells of my truck. Now with the enclosed clam shell snowmobile trailer I get them on the front nose of the shell which would otherwise be right on the Snowdog and my fishing shanty. When you see snowmobiles being towed on an open trailer you almost always see them with a cover over the machine and the trailer has a bull nose in the front. My first drag to the lake was a disaster and I had to stop at the DIY car spray wash on the way home just to get all the crap off the machine and then let it dry in the garage for 2 days. The things we learn with new ideas are priceless but I spent just under $3500 on the dog and sled and another $1400 for the Triton enclosed used trailer and then another $1400 for the new Otter XT Pro Resort 3 man shanty so for about half the price of just a new snowmobile I have all my bases covered. A new snowmobile with enclosed trailer and a new shanty would have been well over $15,000. See you on the ice and then again in the spring and summer dragging fire wood and then in the fall while hunting and then in the winter while ice fishing and all on my Snowdog. Oh wait, guess I won't be seeing the snowmobiles out there except in the winter when we get snow. I am an A hole but I get to be one 12 months a year.

Gam

I might get a fancy cover for it. Good pointers, for $15k one could get a fancy ice castle with ac to use as camper in summer.😀

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:53 PM »
I might get a fancy cover for it. Good pointers, for $15k one could get a fancy ice castle with ac to use as camper in summer.😀

It never hurts to take advice from those who have gone before you. We do things right because we do things TWICE!  :'(

Gam

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:12 AM »
What size cover would you get, atv one or snowmobile one?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:15 AM »
That is all I have for now but will probably buy the seat when my dealers get them in stock. I never had any issue or fear about falling out but then I don't run it very fast at all. It will move right along towing me and my sled shanty at around 20 MPH but I just cruise along at maybe 5-8 MPH and happy to not being worn out when I get to my spot.

Check this out, I sent a review to SnowDog and they posted it all over and on FB. https://snowdog.com/content/news_page/40

Gam

Lost track of the thread, but did you ever get clarification on whether or not the Dog has to be registered?

Everybody I've spoken to (including the dealer next door to me that sells them) says NO, they do not.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:18 AM »
What size cover would you get, atv one or snowmobile one?

I would check with the dealer to see if Snowdog makes a cover in the accessories line up first. If not then I think I would go hunting for a high quality BBQ grill cover.

Gam

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Lost track of the thread, but did you ever get clarification on whether or not the Dog has to be registered?

Everybody I've spoken to (including the dealer next door to me that sells them) says NO, they do not.

Same here. I will be fishing tomorrow where I am sure to be visited by the DEC/Sheriff's during the day. The DMV says if it has no VIN numbers they can't register it as a motor vehicle. Still a rather gray area and who knows how each individual LEO might look at it. Just to be one step ahead of the mix I do plan to wear a helmet while towing, same rules as an ATV and snowmobile.

Gam

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 17, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Hey, good luck with the LEO in the area.  Here it's been totally uneventful. Had interest from the search and rescue at one lake community, thought they should have one in their fleet.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 17, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Hey, good luck with the LEO in the area.  Here it's been totally uneventful. Had interest from the search and rescue at one lake community, thought they should have one in their fleet.

I won't be a bit surprised if the DEC guys bought a couple of the smaller ones that wound fit right in the sled and up in the back of their SUVs. Perfect machine for patrolling around on the lakes while checking licenses and fishing regs.

Gam

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:28 PM »
I took the plunge and bought a 13-hp standard with reverse on Friday.  Purchased two sleds and one fixed seat to complete the package.   Travelled to Oakland, Maine to get it.

A few observations:

1). You can't load it in a full-size truck like the YouTube videos suggest -- tailgate is too high so aluminum ramps are a must.

2). The seats are difficult to remove so nesting sleds is difficult -- I ended up deleting a 2nd seat for credit on the ramps

3). Negotiating deep snow in the backcountry takes some experience and some upper body strength -- I improve with each run.

4). Operation on a lake with a few inches of snow is a piece of cake -- I have some mobility issues and this will extend my ice fishing career for many years.

5) I prefer driving from the seated position but am comfortable standing when going slow

6). The machine is deceptively fast -- I lose my nerve at 3/4 throttle

The wardens agree that it does not require registration or insurance.  DMV however wouldn't commit to an answer.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I took the plunge and bought a 13-hp standard with reverse on Friday.  Purchased two sleds and one fixed seat to complete the package.   Travelled to Oakland, Maine to get it.

A few observations:

1). You can't load it in a full-size truck like the YouTube videos suggest -- tailgate is too high so aluminum ramps are a must.

2). The seats are difficult to remove so nesting sleds is difficult -- I ended up deleting a 2nd seat for credit on the ramps

3). Negotiating deep snow in the backcountry takes some experience and some upper body strength -- I improve with each run.

4). Operation on a lake with a few inches of snow is a piece of cake -- I have some mobility issues and this will extend my ice fishing career for many years.

5) I prefer driving from the seated position but am comfortable standing when going slow

6). The machine is deceptively fast -- I lose my nerve at 3/4 throttle

The wardens agree that it does not require registration or insurance.  DMV however wouldn't commit to an answer.

Congrats on your new tool and very accurate review. I too have the 13 standard which is a larger sled than the compact version they show driving into the sled and loading in a mini van. I don't yet have a seat but am considering getting one. Which seat did you get and some review on it would be helpful to me. One thing I did find is the sled without the seat fits right on top of the dog and acts as a cover while traveling in an open truck or trailer.
I agree with you, on rough terrain it does require some skill, learning and upper body work. The Snowdog does excel on a flat surface such as ice or an established wood trail. It is way faster than I ever care to go while dragging a sled filled with gear however a lot of fun with just the sled and me standing behind it. I would suggest a helmet for those times when you want to play. For ice fishing this machine does exactly what it is designed to do, be a mule. I did find on glare ice with no snow the Kold Cutter ice screws 1/2 to 3/4 inches long make a big difference in many ways and were simple to install in the track that is designed to accept them.

I had the authorities go right by me while fishing and never said a word or even had any concern. I was actually hoping to discuss it with them but happy they were out checking the ATVs and snowmobiles instead. It seems here in NY they are more concerned with tow machines that are not using the required rigid tow bar and just tying off with a rope.

My plan at almost 66 years old was to make this machine extend my fishing abilities on the ice. I bought a used Triton 2 place covered snowmobile trailer with tilt bed. I can easily load and unload all by myself and it fits the snowdog with the sled plus my 2 man and 3 man tow behind sled shanties and keeps the road crap off all of it. It also provides a perfect storage place for the off season and keeps the mice out of my shanties where they like to eat the cloth fabric to make nests.

I give my Snowdog a big thumbs up and I do wish I could have found the model that comes with the reverse gear but I will be retrofitting that option in the near future. According to Snowdog, this years machines with reverse came so you had to switch to reverse from the front end but next years will have the switch on the bar handles. I did get off track a bit on a trail and could not go forward with trees in front of me. Reverse would have been nice in that situation.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Gam   

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:20 AM »

The DNR in MN nor our local DMV would give me a straight answer. The DNR keeps claiming that it cannot be used on designated snowmobile trails without snowmobile sticker, if it is a tracked vehicle......but is it a vehicle.....it's more like a snowdoooog.

I ain't buying any sticker till they adjust the legislation to clearly spell it out. After all I did pay sales tax on it.
If I get approached about it, it is merely a modified snowblower track. DMV gets enough money for essentially "sticker" jobs that a computer from 10 years ago could perform now days. If they can't define it then they don't have a sticker to sell me in the first place.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:44 AM »
I don't yet have a seat but am considering getting one. Which seat did you get and some review on it would be helpful to me. 

Gam, I intended to buy one swivel seat and one fixed seat.  The swivel seat was  missing parts so I didn't accept it.  Add in the fact that the seats are tough to install/remove made it clear that I could only use one. 

I settled on the fixed seat because it has a grab bar for an additional passenger.  I figure I can tow my buddy and his boy with ease.

Note that I have a fiberglass cap on my truck.  Once I fold the handlebars, I can easily slide the unit from the ramp into the bed.  I have to admit that with the SnowDog, two sleds, and the ramp in the back, there isn't much room left for gear.  I'm carrying all my tackle in the cab now.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:57 AM »

The DNR in MN nor our local DMV would give me a straight answer. The DNR keeps claiming that it cannot be used on designated snowmobile trails without snowmobile sticker, if it is a tracked vehicle......but is it a vehicle.....it's more like a snowdoooog.

I ain't buying any sticker till they adjust the legislation to clearly spell it out. After all I did pay sales tax on it.
If I get approached about it, it is merely a modified snowblower track. DMV gets enough money for essentially "sticker" jobs that a computer from 10 years ago could perform now days. If they can't define it then they don't have a sticker to sell me in the first place.

I fully expect to run into some new guy on the job who will try to write his own rules on my Snowdog track sled. I already have my answer rehearsed and ready. "Show me how to get this registered and I will gladly do it". I asked the clerk at my DMV and she had no clue how to answer my question and fell back on a standard answer, If it does not have a Vehicle I D (VIN) number then it is not considered a vehicle that can be registered such as a lawn tractor or snowblower.

That deal with taking them on snowmobile designated trails is something you guys who have those trails have to get decided. The Snowdog would be the perfect machine for trail grooming and leaves the exact same foot print as any other tracked machine minus the ski grooves. We don't have any snowmobile trails down here in south eastern NY but there are a lot of them up in the Adirondack's.

Gam

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Gam, I intended to buy one swivel seat and one fixed seat.  The swivel seat was  missing parts so I didn't accept it.  Add in the fact that the seats are tough to install/remove made it clear that I could only use one. 

I settled on the fixed seat because it has a grab bar for an additional passenger.  I figure I can tow my buddy and his boy with ease.

Note that I have a fiberglass cap on my truck.  Once I fold the handlebars, I can easily slide the unit from the ramp into the bed.  I have to admit that with the SnowDog, two sleds, and the ramp in the back, there isn't much room left for gear.  I'm carrying all my tackle in the cab now.

My vehicle now is a Toyota 4 runner so I couldn't fit my 2 man shanty in it and had to drag all my stuff on a trailer. Driving on snow, slush and salted roads left everything on the trailer covered in crap so having to use a trailer anyway it just made sense to buy a used enclosed clam shell one.

I had a nice Polaris RZR that I could only use on the ice because ATVs are highly restricted here in NY off your own private property. I sold it and bought the new Snow Dog, a real nice new Otter 3 man sled shanty that is huge and the trailer and still have $3 grand left over. What really floored my with the RZR was I had to keep it registered and insured even though I could not use it anywhere except on a frozen lake. I am surrounded by thousands of acres of State Forest lands right off my back yard and could not take the RZR on any of those trails. I can hunt behind my house on that land and if I get a deer I will take my chances to drag it out with the dog.

Gam

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:29 AM »

I got the rotating seat but honestly it is better driving without it, when I can I stand or single kneel if necessary. I did manage to flip the dog last night on a slope and fell out the sled and bruised my leg. That's on me, but at higher speeds, I might wear a helmet. One thing I noticed when going fast in the sitting position, a lot of snow will fly out at your face and also the fumes.....so unless you really feel you can't do it standing, I'd avoid using the seat too much.....it could be fun however if you have a second or third sled for passengers. Also there is a significant sway on glare ice, so those little skates for the sled and screws into the track might be needed after all....I have yet to test it pulling an otter sled behind the sled fully loaded.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:33 PM »
I got the rotating seat but honestly it is better driving without it, when I can I stand or single kneel if necessary. I did manage to flip the dog last night on a slope and fell out the sled and bruised my leg. That's on me, but at higher speeds, I might wear a helmet. One thing I noticed when going fast in the sitting position, a lot of snow will fly out at your face and also the fumes.....so unless you really feel you can't do it standing, I'd avoid using the seat too much.....it could be fun however if you have a second or third sled for passengers. Also there is a significant sway on glare ice, so those little skates for the sled and screws into the track might be needed after all....I have yet to test it pulling an otter sled behind the sled fully loaded.

If going fast is what you want then I recommend some sort of spray skirt on the front of the stand up sled. My dog has plenty of pulling power for towing a very heavy load but traction on glare ice without ice screws in the track was greatly reduced with a towed load. No problem at all with just the machine and me behind it without the screws. I don't think snowmobiles go all that great on glare ice without studs either and I know for sure they don't steer real well at all unless they have carbide runners on the skis. The Snow dog is a little higher than it is wide so it can be tippy on slopes or in my case running on the roadside where the plowed snow laid it over. Once you get used to driving it you learn to be ready and upper body handle bar work will keep you up.

I was hoping to get it out in some slush this weekend and we do now have the slush but we also lost the shorelines given it was 65 on Tuesday with rain and 75 on Wednesday. Still plenty of ice but not worth trying to cross over on planks IMO. Thinking my season is about shot for this year down here.

I really like the wheeled sulky they sell but am real sure I can build one way cheaper for towing my kayak into the back woods lakes I like to fish all spring and summer.

Gam

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 25, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Just a couple more observations for those considering getting a Snowdog. The videos posted on the company site are an accurate depiction of what the machine can do and how it works. I am not 100% sure the larger "Standard" 13 HP models fit inside the sled for loading into an SUV or Van. The smaller ones certainly do fit in the sled. For those thinking of transporting it in a Van or SUV using ramps, keep in mind the steering handle has to be folded over the machine before it goes inside or it will require twice the length inside your vehicle because you can't fold it after going in unless you have a tall Van.

I have never yet bought any machine of this nature that I didn't want to or have to do some tweeking on after I got it. Adding accessories and doing stuff like ice screw studding the track are just SOP for me. I added a couple good grab handles on the front of the machine because with the snow shield over the frame there is nowhere to grab in the front if you need to move it around or if you lay it over on a trail. It works fine on glare ice but way better after adding the ice screws which was a very simple upgrade. Standing in the sled while riding behind it is pretty much effortless but sitting might be better for some. Keep in mind if you are blasting along at some speed there is some spray coming off the back of the track that hits around knee high or right in your lap if sitting. A spray skirt on the front of the sled would fix that. Just cruising across the ice while towing your gear this is not a problem, only when you are running fast.

The launch ramp at my fishing lake is pretty steep and cement for the first 20 feet coming off the ice. Then it turns to stones and gravel. The Snowdog walks right up the cement with plenty of traction and power to pull all my gear but as soon as I leave the cement surface and get in the gravel it digs in and if the gravel is loose it won't pull the load unless you have a good run up onto it. No problem with just the dog and stand up sled at all but if you think you can pull a heavy load up hill on gravel think again or hit it pretty fast. Even my truck when pulling my boat trailer out needs to be in 4 wheel drive once I hit the gravel part so this is not a fault of the machine. You can probably dig yourself a hole on dry land too if you stop in the middle of a hill on loose ground so learning how to navigate the terrain and run it accordingly will be a must. Traction is only as good as the surface you are on.

Some guys have mentioned crossing over pressure cracks. I honestly have never seen what these cracks look like because I don't think we get them here on rather small bodies of water. Show me some pictures of these cracks and I might be able to say if I would or would not cross them with my Snowdog.

I am pretty sure my ice season is over here in Sullivan county NY. I plan to use the Snowdog year round and will either build or buy some sort of wheeled sulky to drag behind it. Just understand this is not an ATV or in any way a Go Fast toy, it is a tool for working and getting you back and forth under motor power. If you plan to go blasting down trails I would recommend a helmet and some protective gear just like you would want on a dirt bike or ATV.

I am very satisfied with it as a Ice Fishing tow vehicle and I am sure it will be good for dragging a deer out during hunting season or even towing a small trailer or cart with fire wood or a kayak back to a remote pond. I am pretty sure we will see a lot more of these out next season as they become more popular. Betting it will be mostly older gents or guys who live on large lakes and just need to make some distance before dropping their lines.

Gam 

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 25, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Just a couple more observations for those considering getting a Snowdog. The videos posted on the company site are an accurate depiction of what the machine can do and how it works. I am not 100% sure the larger "Standard" 13 HP models fit inside the sled for loading into an SUV or Van. The smaller ones certainly do fit in the sled. For those thinking of transporting it in a Van or SUV using ramps, keep in mind the steering handle has to be folded over the machine before it goes inside or it will require twice the length inside your vehicle because you can't fold it after going in unless you have a tall Van.

I have never yet bought any machine of this nature that I didn't want to or have to do some tweeking on after I got it. Adding accessories and doing stuff like ice screw studding the track are just SOP for me. I added a couple good grab handles on the front of the machine because with the snow shield over the frame there is nowhere to grab in the front if you need to move it around or if you lay it over on a trail. It works fine on glare ice but way better after adding the ice screws which was a very simple upgrade. Standing in the sled while riding behind it is pretty much effortless but sitting might be better for some. Keep in mind if you are blasting along at some speed there is some spray coming off the back of the track that hits around knee high or right in your lap if sitting. A spray skirt on the front of the sled would fix that. Just cruising across the ice while towing your gear this is not a problem, only when you are running fast.

The launch ramp at my fishing lake is pretty steep and cement for the first 20 feet coming off the ice. Then it turns to stones and gravel. The Snowdog walks right up the cement with plenty of traction and power to pull all my gear but as soon as I leave the cement surface and get in the gravel it digs in and if the gravel is loose it won't pull the load unless you have a good run up onto it. No problem with just the dog and stand up sled at all but if you think you can pull a heavy load up hill on gravel think again or hit it pretty fast. Even my truck when pulling my boat trailer out needs to be in 4 wheel drive once I hit the gravel part so this is not a fault of the machine. You can probably dig yourself a hole on dry land too if you stop in the middle of a hill on loose ground so learning how to navigate the terrain and run it accordingly will be a must. Traction is only as good as the surface you are on.

Some guys have mentioned crossing over pressure cracks. I honestly have never seen what these cracks look like because I don't think we get them here on rather small bodies of water. Show me some pictures of these cracks and I might be able to say if I would or would not cross them with my Snowdog.

I am pretty sure my ice season is over here in Sullivan county NY. I plan to use the Snowdog year round and will either build or buy some sort of wheeled sulky to drag behind it. Just understand this is not an ATV or in any way a Go Fast toy, it is a tool for working and getting you back and forth under motor power. If you plan to go blasting down trails I would recommend a helmet and some protective gear just like you would want on a dirt bike or ATV.

I am very satisfied with it as a Ice Fishing tow vehicle and I am sure it will be good for dragging a deer out during hunting season or even towing a small trailer or cart with fire wood or a kayak back to a remote pond. I am pretty sure we will see a lot more of these out next season as they become more popular. Betting it will be mostly older gents or guys who live on large lakes and just need to make some distance before dropping their lines.

Gam

I would agree with all you said. It is a blast and can be dangerous going fast, but mainly it is a workhorse. Not sure about the abuse the track can take on land with no snow, I suppose grass would be fine, but dirt and rocks....I am not sure I want to try, unless a deer is super stuck in a ravine or something.

As far as putting it in the sled, it takes some practice. I now did it several times and feel like I have an understanding how to do it effortleslly and slide it on the cargo carrier. It really feels like the way to go. As for slush or salt, it really isn't an issue as it is nested inside the sled and only the sled gets dirty from road salt.

If anybody is on the fence on these, get it. It does work as advertised. If you expect more than what the videos show, well you may be surprised or disappointed. I took it out in about foot of snow yesterday and it did struggle and throw a lot of snow around, but ultimately drove. Now if the snow isn't fluffy it can go dangerously fast for someone to be standing and wearing the safety shut off is a must...I learned that the painful way. For now I'd say this is the most versatile machine for the outdoors man/woman in it's class, actually the only one of its class. It also feels like one couldn't build it for the money (well maybe for the money, but the time and effort would just about wipe out any benefit of trying to build it on your own).

Until the Muchkatar comes out from Irbis next year, the snowdog really doesn't have a competition right now.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 25, 2018, 03:23 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Planning to pick up a Snowdog.

Last question, the compact seems much easier to load/store. Do you think that the standard is that much better if all I do is pull stuff on the ice?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 25, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Weight, length and HP seems to be the only real differences. Only 8 inches in length between them all and I would think if only pulling a light load of around 200 pounds on the ice the compact 7 HP model would do fine. Going up the line you do get a little longer track and an added 50-70 pounds but you also get more pulling capacity. I can tell you from experience my 13 HP model takes almost zero effort to pull a very heavy load on the ice and through 6 inches of snow. With just a sled shanty and your own gear for a day the 7 HP should be all you would need. I always go for "More Power" on things like this simply because I might never need it but it will be there if I do.

Gam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 25, 2018, 05:20 PM »
Last question, the compact seems much easier to load/store. Do you think that the standard is that much better if all I do is pull stuff on the ice?

I thought I'd only use the Snowdog to negotiate heavy snow.  Accordingly, I went with the 13-hp standard.  I don't think I'll regret the extra torque and longer track.

Neither frame is easy to load in a truck bed.  You'll need ramps.  But, if you have a wagon or SUV, both will work fine.

Note that the standard model does fit in the sled.

I've had the machine for nine days and have fished with it three times.  I'm really enjoying it!  On President's day we still had snow on the lakes and it was clearly in its element   Since then, our snow has melted and glazed over.  It is slick but not glare ice.  The Snowdog needs respect, but I've covered a lot of ground with only one, slow spin-out.  Most impressive - and I don't know if the smaller units could do it -- it has scaled some steep, icy boat ramps with no issue.

Today I carried my full arsenal of smelt equipment -- including a deep cycle battery and insulated pop-up.  I've never fished that lake before without breaking a sweat!!  And seeing that little machine haul all that gear up the ramp brought a smile to my face.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 25, 2018, 05:25 PM »
I like the idea of more power in case I need to make a train with a few of my friends.

Because I never plan to user it breaking trail in deep powder, the compact might work, but the extra length probably won't matter too much either way.

Thanks again for the info.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:03 PM »
I like the idea of more power in case I need to make a train with a few of my friends.

Because I never plan to user it breaking trail in deep powder, the compact might work, but the extra length probably won't matter too much either way.

Thanks again for the info.

I have the 10hp compact and it pulled me up a steep ramp and all my stuff in a second sled just fine in 6 inches of powder yesterday. Sometimes I have to turn on 4lo drive on the truck to make the same slope. I got a great deal on it though. If I was paying MSRP I'd probably pay up and get the 13hp one.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Thanks, MBOSS13!

That is the direction that I plan to go. I am also going to get reverse so I can collapse the handle and run it backwards in reverse up a ramp into the back of my pickup. I saw that on a video and, because I have a topper on my truck, it would work great.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Thanks, MBOSS13!

That is the direction that I plan to go. I am also going to get reverse so I can collapse the handle and run it backwards in reverse up a ramp into the back of my pickup. I saw that on a video and, because I have a topper on my truck, it would work great.

Reverse wouldn't hurt, it is a beast and pulling it backwards takes some strength. No way can you reverse it up a pickup without power, so that sounds like a good idea. You will love the machine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.