Author Topic: Horrible conditions on Keweenaw Bay, slush, water wind-packed snow.  (Read 1204 times)

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
The ice conditions at what I refer to as the "head of the bay" are horrible.  The worst I've seen in the 20 years I've fished there.  The ice is plenty thick, but there is between 10-14 inches of wind-packed heavy snow on top of 4-8 inches of slush and plenty of water mixed in with that.  We spent yesterday in it and it was pure nonsense to even be out there.  I park at the Willow Trees off US41 between Baraga and L'Anse and go out about 1/2 mile.  Someone did plow a road out to a group of shacks in that area, but it ends there.  Go off either side of the plowed road and it is a mess.  How bad is it?  Well, last Friday I buried my tracked ARGO.  In the 15 years I've driven that on the ice, I have never gotten stuck. Fortunately, I was near enough to shore that the winch cable and a couple of straps reached to the shore and I was able to winch using a truck tow hitch for an anchor.  Yesterday, I decided to drive my Jeep Wrangler out to my shanty and even with a 3.5 inch lift, 33-inch Super-Swamper tires and plenty of clearance, I was barely able to make it to my shack.  I got stuck a couple of times and had to back out and find another way to my shanty.  At this time, I think pulling a sled by hand in that area is near impossible.  Again, there is a road that is plowed out, but once you get off that, forget it.  And on top of it all, we never caught a fish and the smelt were no where to be seen.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ya if it wasn’t for the sled trails out by the cemetery i would not have been out on Sat. Still a good pull by hand. For your winch I would suggest cutting a 2x4 about a ft or bigger and putting an eye bolt in the center. The. If ur on the ice and get stuck just drill a hole, attach to the e d of the winch cable and drop in the hole. Turn sideways and U have a cheap easy way to winch yourself while on the ice.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the idea Bowhunter.  I appreciate the information. Never thought of that, but then again, never was in that situation where I needed to look for an option to winch on the ice.  You can bet, I will be making one of those in the next few days.

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
A piece of #5 rebar works even better because to don't have to stick your arm down the hole like with a buoyant 2x4.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
But are the fish biting?  ;)
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.