Author Topic: Looking For Ice Auger Opinions  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking For Ice Auger Opinions
« on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:28 AM »
I am considering trying out the 8" K-Drill.  They recommend a Milwaukee or Dewalt 18 V, 4 Amp minimum hammer drill.  Has anyone had success with a different set up?  Or just using a drill + any auger?  Thanks

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking For Ice Auger Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:56 AM »
milwuakee+clam plate+Mora=great set up.
I have been using this set up for a few years now and love it. I added a digger auger holder at the beginning of last season for my 4 wheeler/ snowmobile and its perfect.

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Moved West Michigan --> Indianapolis
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:28 AM »
My advice would be to get the Strikemaster 40 V. After spending the money on the auger, drill, plate etc. you my as well spend a little extra and get a top of the line auger that you can trust. In the cold temps of UP my buddy had a drill and K-drill and all of his batteries died...quick. I ran circles around him with the 40 V and never came close to burning through one battery. It is definitely worth the extra investment.

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Thank you for the input

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:24 AM »
DEwalt 20 volt plus 8 inch k drill.     Very good unit by would recommend

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:03 AM »
look at the eskimo pistol bit 8",,,, gotta love the reduced weight factor. polycarbonate augers are going to be the future of augers.  i am going to rent one sunday and give it a try, the you tube videos are impressive.
da splake chaser

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:16 AM »
look at the eskimo pistol bit 8",,,, gotta love the reduced weight factor. polycarbonate augers are going to be the future of augers.  i am going to rent one sunday and give it a try, the you tube videos are impressive.

I HATE the K-Drill and it is because of the auger flights. I am not saying that it does not work or even work fast, it might. My reason is that it doesn't work like I work - and I don't want to change. The fact that you have to stop and clear the ice shavings from the hole or the auger stops bothers me. I don't like to stop and clear shavings. (Apparently, it doesn't bother those who are more flexible than me.) When I drill holes I like to start at the top and finish at the bottom before I clear shavings.

It is worth a bit of weight in the form of metal auger flights to continue in my habitual ways.  Just my own opinion.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Buddy got the strikmaster 40 volt last year, put it through its paces on champlain fishing 30 tip ups a day plus jigging holes, it worked like a champ. love that thing, I have the honda 4 stroke and like it,but when It comes time for a change that's probably the root i'm going to go.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 06:36 AM »
Thanks again for the valuable information everyone.  It is interesting on the K-Drill Demo Video, no one is clearing out the shavings.  Yet this is what they tell us to do or the auger can get jammed in the bottom of the hole.  On the other hand, I do know a few people that really like the K-drill system.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2018, 06:55 AM »
I went with the ion last year (would have gotten a Strikemaster 40v, but they were all sold out). Love the thing, though. I had tried the cordless drill route but was unimpressed with the power from my drill
(around 350 lb-ft) and didn't want to upgrade. I always felt like it was an awful lot of money to put into a tool that I didn't need otherwise, and that wasn't really designed to do what I was going to ask it to do.

Now if I was in a profession where I used a drill, I would have been probably gone that route.

I have been impressed with the ion. No maintenance, battery works well and was designed to be in the cold, unlike my drill  (just don't leave it on the ice at -30F).
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline brando1098

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:45 AM »
My current setup consists of a 7inch strikemaster Mora and a Ryobi hammer drill from Home Depot. I've never had to switch batteries during a a day trip and I will sometimes drill 25 holes or so. Cuts like a hot knife through butter. I still get amazed at how fast I get through and I use it all the time!

Offline Canvsbk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:16 AM »
8” Nils and Milwaukee fuel with 4 amp battery. Just amazing.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:59 AM »
I don’t stop to clear shavings.  Just let her dig all the way through. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2018, 11:29 AM »
you can get a free 1300 inch pound ridgid octane drill worth 140$ and it is the strongest drill on the market with a life time warranty if you buy their 9 amp bluetooth battery and charger which also offer the lsa. just go to homedepot and type ridgid octane to get started. to your door price will be 209. if you call them and order it it will be 199. batteries sold not in a kit only have a 3 year warranty. this battery is sold in a kit because it comes with the charger so it does qualify for the lsa.

there is a video on this site of the k-drill and mora both the 8 inch and the mora made almost two time more holes than the k-drill using the drill and the same battery. the k-drill is only 7.5 inches so it should have made more holes because it cuts less ice.

i went with strike master lazer 8 inch to go with my new ridgid octane drill. i've always had good performance from strike master lazer. i started with their 4 and been using their 6.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Clam plate, 2704-20 Milwaukee and 7" or 8" Mora.... It's had years of happy owners :tipup:

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:19 AM »
I've heard that the clam plate breaks drill trigger button over time.  How long have you had it?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:22 AM »
I have been using one for 5+ years and built dozens of other units all with Milwaukee/Moras/clam plate and have never had 1 issue. There are alot of guys with a hate on for the clam plate and they will say absolutely anything to try and trash talk the plate. I personally won't use one without the plate if im spinning a 8" auger bit. Pretty cheap insurance against a injury and I like it to keep the drill out of snow/slush/water.... I personally dont understand the problem with the plate???

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2018, 02:32 PM »
if you break the trigger on ridgid they will replace it for free. with this drill you should probably get a plate of some kind.
homedepot lowered the cost to get into the octane drill.

ridgid's octane 18v 9amp bluetooth battery/charger/hammer drill that is 1300 inch pounds and all components qualify for their life time service agreement is now 179$ to your door using their cart system. the lsa means no more spending on the battery or any parts or repairs. batteries can only be charger so many times before they begin to fade away and need replacing. these octane batteries are the most sophisticated in the portable cordless drill market and have an app you can use with it that is very cool.
the battery sold separate is 184$

the drill on it's own is same price of 149$. the battery/charger is down to 169$. this means you can buy the combo for 169$ if you call hd and order it on the phone.
you should have about 20 days left to get with it. you should be able to go to the stores now that have them in stock and just pay for the battery/charger and get the drill for free like i did when it was 209$ to your door.

i just called hd and had them price match and they credited my cc for 40$ because i bought it when it was 209$

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:21 PM »
You won't  break the trigger unless your trying to. Rigid has finally caught up with the rest of the industry with the exception of batteries Milwaukee has a 12 amp hour available, and all that programmable app stuff came from Milwaukee tools anyway. Milwaukee calls it a "one key" system  (Heres the dirty little secret for those of you who dont know..... Milwaukee and Rigid are owned by the same parent company. Thats why the technology and features are so similar). I don't get wrapped up in the warranty nonsense since I refuse to base my decision on a LSA that will have me mailing the equipment in to a LSA dealer and waiting weeks to get it back.... my ice seasons can only be a few weeks long anyway some seasons. I find it amusing that the Rigid guys are buying these new drills since their other drills and batteries with LSA meant they would never need to buy another drill or battery again.... EVER!!! Looks like Rigid baited the hook and set it deep on em to get them buying again.. .

Offline M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Bought the milwaukee como kit from home depot $250. 8" K drill $209 fleet farm. under 10 lbs will never go back to the gassers. this combo works very well

Offline Jeffrey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2018, 09:29 PM »
I'll stick with my Honda, our U.P. Ice  gets 2 to 3 feet thick and I have drilled next to some Ions and wasn't impressed.
The only thing we learn from history is that, we don't learn from
History! 🇺🇸

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2018, 12:09 PM »
I did end up getting the 8" K-Drill + Dewalt Hammer Drill.  We love it.  Of course the ice is only 12" on the lake we are fishing.  We drilled 25 holes and no sign of it quitting on us on 1 battery.  But lets see out the rest of the winter goes.  Weight is 9 lbs.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:28 PM »
I've run a ton of augers and my favorite is still the Ion and/or Propane depending on the application.

Eskimo Mako 43 - OK auger for the price, no complaints but nothing to write home about.
Jiffy ProLite - Gummed up every time I cut a hole.  Sent it back.
Eskimo Propane - Kind of biased, but love the auger.  Starts easy, cuts smooth, little smell, little maintenance.
Ion - Awesome auger!  Light, can cut through any application.  Now that they have a 10 I think this may be the auger of choice for most.  I do suggest a spare battery though which was about $150 when I got it.
Jiffy Pro4 - Cut fast, but heavy and the transmission horror stories scared me.  Didn't ever own one, just tried a few.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.