Author Topic: MarCum Firmware 5.1 Update, is it worth doing???  (Read 4091 times)

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
MarCum Firmware 5.1 Update, is it worth doing???
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:22 PM »
I have an LX6 and LX7 that do not have the latest firmware installed.  Based on reading posts in this forum, I am leery about installing the latest firmware 5.1 update?  Thoughts?

d1

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: MarCum Firmware 5.1 Update, is it worth doing???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:54 PM »
i have the firmware your running now if you want a copy so you can go back to it if you don't like new firmware. the biggest difference is you have to turn up the gain to about midway to use it. i left new update in mine. a few have asked to go back and i emailed it to them.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:59 PM »
I don’t think you will regret it, I sure haven’t.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:15 AM »
i have the firmware your running now if you want a copy so you can go back to it if you don't like new firmware. the biggest difference is you have to turn up the gain to about midway to use it. i left new update in mine. a few have asked to go back and i emailed it to them.

I appreciate the offer.  I have a LX6 and LX7.  I will try it out on the LX7 and see if I like it or not.  Thanks again.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:16 AM »
I don’t think you will regret it, I sure haven’t.

What specifically did you like better about the firmware upgrade?

gman51

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:16 AM »
the sensitivity on my lx7 was enhanced after the install of the 5.1 Imo each of the three updates i've installed did have improvements on what was offered. one of the reasons why i bought it. and a shout out to 3300 for offering his advice and help on the issues people have with their electronics.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:26 AM »
the sensitivity on my lx7 was enhanced after the install of the 5.1 Imo each of the three updates i've installed did have improvements on what was offered. one of the reasons why i bought it. and a shout out to 3300 for offering his advice and help on the issues people have with their electronics.

Sensitivity increase at all depths?  Or does it just pick up smaller jigs and such better?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:00 AM »
it might make you feel more at ease having the firmware your on now before updating it, so if you'd like, i'll email it first? just shoot me a pm and we'll swap emails.
it is nice to be able to go forward or backward with the firmware and not be locked in like smart phones and tablets will have us do. we just have to save what ever file they have available before they remove it for a newer version. so try not to worry about using new firmware's.
i can't do much commenting about all depths. it works better on all the depths i fish, but i only fish up to 50 feet and target pan fish , so most times i'm in 4 to 12 fow and use size 3 to 5 mm tungsten jigs. some show better than others.

ripnflutter, thanks for the kind words and helping out too. that's what this site is all about.

gman51

« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:02 AM »
on mine i believe all depths. especially on the 20 degree in shallower water.  i'm assuming that you know your way around or how to dial in the unit in different depths and situations. upon reading some posts on ice shanty there are those who don't take the time to really learn their units functions and are quick to go on the negative. yes their will be dud.s out their that have issues from the factory but i don't think the complaints about a specific unit justifies not improving on YOUR system Imo. good luck.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:35 AM »
It’s like a gear splitter in a transmission. The old sensitivity was often too low on one setting and too high with one more push of the button.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:30 PM »
It’s like a gear splitter in a transmission. The old sensitivity was often too low on one setting and too high with one more push of the button.

That’s a good way to describe it. The latest update really smoothed out the gain/sensitivity curve quite a bit. Now and 4 then a gradual jump between 4 and 8 only to have a big jump from 8 to 9.  (Just using those numbers to illustrate my point a bit better. I can’t recall where the stupidly big jumps were but they were in there.)

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2018, 08:55 PM »
That’s a good way to describe it. The latest update really smoothed out the gain/sensitivity curve quite a bit. Now and 4 then a gradual jump between 4 and 8 only to have a big jump from 8 to 9.  (Just using those numbers to illustrate my point a bit better. I can’t recall where the stupidly big jumps were but they were in there.)

The gradual gain jumps you describe, is that occurring with the 5.1 firmware upgrade?

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2018, 09:24 PM »
The gradual gain jumps you describe, is that occurring with the 5.1 firmware upgrade?

Yes...they are more gradual with 5.1....so it is more even through out the entire range whereas in the past it would be a bit steep between two numbers, then level out, then a steep jump again.

The improvements to the gain curve are reason enough to upgrade to 5.1

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2018, 07:00 PM »
What is the exact computer cable I need to do this upgrade?

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2018, 07:06 PM »

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Yes...they are more gradual with 5.1....so it is more even through out the entire range whereas in the past it would be a bit steep between two numbers, then level out, then a steep jump again.

The improvements to the gain curve are reason enough to upgrade to 5.1

Ok, thanks for clarifying.  Tight lines.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:01 PM »
You need a USB 2.0 cable found on their website:

https://shop.marcumtech.com/product/usb-digital-upgrade-cable-lx-6-lx-6s-and-lx-7/

What type of connectors Mini b- Micro? There ar lots of USB 2.0 cables.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:15 PM »
believe it was the outdated mini b usb port. i use the lx9 and it uses sd card instead of cable. just look at yours to tell the difference. if it has an inward bend in the sides, then it's the mini port.
it should look like this

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Mini not micro, look at port on unit.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2018, 09:14 PM »
Here is the info directly from their firmware site. You guys are right with a USB mini B. Thanks 3300.

Requirements – PC only computer with a 2.0 USB port and a 2.0 USB cable (USB A male to USB mini B) Do not attempt the firmware upgrade without 2.0 port or cable.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:34 AM »
When was this update released? I have to check see what we're running now

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Ok I have it then

Offline acmarcus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2018, 04:44 PM »
Wow, just checked mine. I was on like version 3.7. Time to update!

Offline robbyc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:52 PM »
i guess marcum has stopped making updates for there products, does everyone agree or am i missing something here. The last update was in Nov of 2016 correct?

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:43 PM »
Since there's no money in providing free updates to existing owners I'm not surprised.  That said I currently have a 5 and 6. Had a 1 before those and overall I'm a fan of their products.  The customer service in my experience has been quite good.  The only competitor product that appeals to me is the Garmin Panoptix set up but at $1900 its just not gonna happen.  I only get out for 15-20 days per year and I'm satisfied even without more frequent updates.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.