Author Topic: Shanty Hitch - What do you use?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
Shanty Hitch - What do you use?
« on: Nov 07, 2018, 08:02 PM »
I have a Clam Yukon shanty and need to get a hitch to hook it up to a snowmobile. I'm looking for advice. What do you use?

Thanks!

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Shanty Hitch - What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Stainless carabinier and two pipes of conduit

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2018, 08:17 PM »
 Can you share a pic?

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2018, 08:33 PM »

That's the best I have that shows the conduit. I am sure there is a $150 hitch system out there, but this cheap setup works well for me....just make sure to use some good size washers on the inside of the sled when attaching the eye bolts. I suppose if you want to pull it real fast you could even use some type of plate across the front of the sled to reinforce it.

Offline cropee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:57 PM »
If you use conduit use something besides carrabeaner a clevis works better both ends. Also put piece of cold roll steel between the 2 pieces of conduit. Something to keep them apart. You will have lots less trouble and it will pull straight. About half way back works great for the bracd

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2018, 03:19 AM »
Not real good pics, but might help. Tow bar made of 3/4" conduit, pinched on the ends and clevis pinned (for removal) to the "skis" on the shanty and bolted to a hitch coupler. Not sure how you would attach ball to sled but...

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2018, 06:42 AM »
My buddy uses the redneck engineering hitch for his Otter lodge. Use enough rope, slide a suitable piece of 1 1/4 PVC (4 feet is good) over it and tow. Sure, it wants to articulate a bit if you stop real fast but it's surprisingly effective. And cheap. And easy.

Not saying it's the best permanent solution but in a pinch or if you're not motivated or budget challenged it works.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2018, 06:51 AM »
For my clam I bought the clam universal hitch for like 60.00 dollars. It works great, easy on easy off. I leave my 2 man flipover connected to my 4 wheeler the entire time im out and never a problem setting it up. It has enough play in it for the flipover to always stay flat regardless of snow.

Offline qcbowhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Not real good pics, but might help. Tow bar made of 3/4" conduit, pinched on the ends and clevis pinned (for removal) to the "skis" on the shanty and bolted to a hitch coupler. Not sure how you would attach ball to sled but...

Curious about that little shelf with the box... What is that used for???

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:16 AM »
I have a Clam Yukon shanty and need to get a hitch to hook it up to a snowmobile. I'm looking for advice. What do you use?

Thanks!

Don't forget to check your State laws for what is allowed for tow bars, some places specify "rigid" and that does not include pipes and carabiners

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.