Author Topic: Birchcreek 2-25-12  (Read 823 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Birchcreek 2-25-12
« on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:02 PM »
Braved the incoming storm and had our sites set on some tigers. Left home at 330 and was on the ice a bit before 6 hoping maybe these tigers would feed in the low lite with their german brown genes. With the lack of snow this year getting to the damn was not a problem Hiking the damn sure seemed tougher though, i guess the old age is kicking in  :unsure: To my surprise there was 2 groups camping below the dam. A tent trailer and springbar tent together and a single springbar by itself. Brave souls. Started out with a glow cutter bug on one rod and glow darter on the other. Was hoping that the rattle might bring them in. Did hook a couple this fall on a crank bait off the shore. Had one fish rise at it but that was it. Switched out for the red dot glow flutterfish and after ten minutes FISH ON! being we were only in 18fow the fight didnt last long and the damn fish came up my fishfinder hole and tangled in my transducer. Was able to get him untangled and he went back down the hole. Got him back up my fishin hole and he came unbuckled. Didnt feel to bad as it was only about a 16in bow. Now the ice at this place is by far the thickest i have fished this year at over 20in. and was soooo happy to have a power auger. The wind was starting to pickup about 9 so we put up the tent and within the next 30 min the hurricane came in and man was it howling atleast 30mph or more.  Over the next 4 hrs my buddy did manage another bow and we both missed atleast a dozen hits.  Decided to make a move to a less windy spot sheltered in a cove as this was the only place we were going to be able put the tent back up. Fished for another 3 hrs and only managed 2 more bows in 10-15fow. Called it at 330 and decided to head out.  So much for the tigers this trip guess ill just have to go back again as that ice should hold out till mid march. Tightlines everyone :tipup: :tipup:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Birchcreek 2-25-12
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Birch creek is a tough place to fish! I have never had a stellar day on that body of water. Caught a few , but never alot. I think huge tigers  are very few and far between there.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2012, 04:22 PM »
Ya it can be tough. Never had great luck there except in the fall

and after this last trip that might be the only time i partake in the birchcreek tigers. My buddy did pull this 27in hog last winter right after ice up

All tigers we've pulled from there have been released to fight another day. Thats the bad draw is to get a nice one but most the time is spent catching a few bows in the winter there. Should have just went to woodruff and hooked up on some cuts. I think i'll be heading there this weekend as long the kitchen pass comes back approved  :unsure: I'll even to be able to get some use outta the sled as there is just enough snow for me to run it, but not too much that you cant get in there. Crazy snow year. This is the earlieast i have ever been into either by way of truck and by the look of all the holes drilled in birch it has been taking some pounding this winter
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:59 AM »
some awesome colors on those fish,,nice job.. JT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.