Author Topic: Best cleats on the market?  (Read 29472 times)

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
Re: Best cleats on the market?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 01, 2011, 03:08 PM »
I recently purchased these Kahtoola Micro spikes for $47.99.  They are by far the best ice cleats I have ever owned.  I've been using for 2 weeks now and have NO complaints.  Stainless steel chains and spikes.... rubber is heavy duty and stretches easily.  They go on as easy or easier than the other rubber types.  No worries even in a couple inches of snow...they don't clog up!  I have at least $50 invested in the other cheaper types (see pic).

(Image removed from quote.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree ... best darn "cleats" I've ever used.  I had a pair of Stabilcers that lasted a few seasons, but the straps fell apart and the studs kept falling out ... so IMO they are no good. 

Bought the Yak Trax Pro for $30 and really didn't like them at all, they didn't really hold well on the ice and packed with snow very easily rendering them useless! They also iced up horrible when drfilling holes. Not good at all for ice fishing, so I'm not really sure what they're good for. So I returned them and was back to square one.

I saw the Kahtoola Microspikes and though the price was a little steep at almost $50 ... but worth every penny now that I've used them last year.  I believe they have a lifetime warranty if I'm not mistaken.  Easy on and off, no problem at all with snow, and you can RUN across the ice if you want (flaaaaaaaaaag!!!!).  The Kahtoola Microspikes are the best I've ever used PERIOD!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:15 PM »
No problem using them over a variety of boots and somewhat different sizes? I have big mickey mouse boots as well as leather hikers I would like to use them for. I also am skeptical of how well those would stay on my shoes. I had the HT cleats and they sucked, I walk with a twist when I leave the ball of my foot for some reason, and the HT cleats would twist off my shoe. That is why I got the Stabilicers, I was hoping the straps would hold them on my foot real solid. Haven't used them yet, and am still skeptical of these microspikes, so these Stabilicers aren't going back to Kittery.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #62 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:04 PM »
Actually I wear a size 10 Kamik Goliath 3s that are HUGE ... the size large Kahtoola Microspikes fit perfect, no problem.  They have NEVER fallen off, even with my older boots that are much smaller ... can't say that about the HTs (staps are a pain and come undone, then broke) or the Yak Trax (they came off several times the first day I used them).  I will say that you should get at least one good season out of the Stabilicers before you start noticing wear/problems/stud-loss. Just wish I had saved my $30 and just bought the Microspikes, but hey ... "you live and you learn".

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:57 AM »
Kahtoola microspikes are the top for Ice /snow/ name it.  I have used mine for over two seasons and work flawlessly.  Serious traction everywhere.  These make the other traction footware devices look just like gadgets that served a purpose before we had ease of use, comfort durability and positive traction on packed ice/ snow, hills, flat walking, towing your gear on foot.  Spend $ on these.  Save your money for the rest.

Stainless steel chains and spikes - no rust , very strong made ( i should be their poster ice fisherman  LOL)
Sportsman

ICE REBEL

« Reply #64 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Arctic Spurs the best on the market. They are very easy to get on and to get off and you can't beat the price.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #65 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:56 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=120644.msg1179334#msg1179334

Check out the above if you have dedicated icefishing boots.  I did this to mine last year and will only buy boots in the future which will accept my 'studs'.  Works better than any slip on type I've ever used

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Fro Zen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Kahtoola MICROspikes - I just got a pair this season and WOW. Seriously............. ..................WOW.
:afro:

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:20 AM »
i had been using a pair of ht cheapos and they have worked fine for two seasons. My only complaint with them was that the teeth were only under the front part of my feet, so if i leaned back, i slipped. Also, they were a little tight around my mickey mouse boots. Just picked up a pair of yaktrax pro's and am trying them out for the first time today....Well see how they do.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #68 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Kahtoola MICROspikes - I just got a pair this season and WOW. Seriously............. ..................WOW.

That was my thought when I bought mine ... WOW! "Why didn't I just buy these sooner?"

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 20, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Same thing here. I havn't used my yaktracks since.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 22, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Orkdered a pair of Kahtoola's the other day.  Should be here by 1-25.  Read a lot of good reviews here.  Sound like they are the top of the line in cleats.  I like easy on and all stainless steel.  Will update what I think when they get here.  Think it will be positive.   Fin

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:12 AM »
Orkdered a pair of Kahtoola's the other day.  Should be here by 1-25.  Read a lot of good reviews here.  Sound like they are the top of the line in cleats.  I like easy on and all stainless steel.  Will update what I think when they get here.  Think it will be positive.   Fin
You will love them.  I bought another set and gave them to my son for Xmas.  Now he can help me pull  LOL
Seriously - if you dont want them i'll buy them
Sportsman

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #72 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:29 AM »
You will love them.  I bought another set and gave them to my son for Xmas.  Now he can help me pull  LOL
Seriously - if you dont want them i'll buy them

Same here ... anybody who has them and doesn't like them, I will buy them from you. They are awesome

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #73 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:44 AM »
Has anybody used these kahtoola's on predator extremes?
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #74 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:56 AM »

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:55 AM »
Same thing here. I havn't used my yaktracks since.

gonna have to pick up a pair of the micro spikes next season. My new YakTrax pro's slipped off of the front of my mickey mouse boots all day. Frustrating. I am going to give them to my brother and continue to use my ht cheapo's until next season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.