Author Topic: Striker Ice Hardwater problems?  (Read 4633 times)

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Striker Ice Hardwater problems?
« on: Dec 30, 2016, 10:38 AM »
Well I pulled the pin and bought the bibs and coat.  Took me a while to figure out how to shorten the legs up.  That seems to work ok, but not sure I like the gator especially after shortening the legs.

I went over the whole suit checking seems and zippers etc.  Everything looks pretty good until I got to the hood.  It closes with Velcro and one of the strips was sewn upside down/inside out however you want to describe it.  I am not a big fan of hoods anyway, but after spending $460 I am now questioning the logic of my purchase.

Has anyone else had any quality issues?
Cheese Head

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Striker Ice Hardwater problems?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2016, 10:42 AM »
the zippered pocket on my bibs bottom came apart second day out.have not got ahold of them yet to see how they handle it.but the got a pretty good rep.

Offline Bonawitz07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Here's another forum with a few noted issues. They still seem to have the best options and quality with their suits.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=336476.0

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:17 AM »
well overall suit looks good, maybe too good.  I was able to exchange the hood at the store.  Then I was reading the specs on the bibs and they have a pull out cup holder.  Made me laugh.  Now if they could just build in a depth finder and camera I would be all set. :)
Cheese Head

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:12 PM »
Well I pulled the pin and bought the bibs and coat.  Took me a while to figure out how to shorten the legs up.  That seems to work ok, but not sure I like the gator especially after shortening the legs.

I went over the whole suit checking seems and zippers etc.  Everything looks pretty good until I got to the hood.  It closes with Velcro and one of the strips was sewn upside down/inside out however you want to describe it.  I am not a big fan of hoods anyway, but after spending $460 I am now questioning the logic of my purchase.

sorry about the quality of your suit! I have not had any issue's with my suit...
Ya it took me a while to figure out how to shorten the legs to. Actually had the wife figure it out. Lol. I looked over my suit at the store. I spent about hour or more looking it over. I think that the employees of the store  were wondering what I wss doing. For the price they wanted I looked over every stitch ,seem, button,velcro straps  ,to make sure every thing was right And it was. Everything looked very good and could not be more  happy with the  Purchase .

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Hardwater suit here, very satisfied and no problems.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2017, 04:57 PM »
I have the Climate suit and have had no problems.  I do admit to having to call the company to explain how to shorten the legs  :)

Offline IceSkak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2017, 09:10 PM »
Love the hard water bibs and frabill jacket.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Well I got out yesterday and used the suit in -10 weather.  Was on the ice for 6 hours and never got cold.  Loved how the ice did not accumulate on the bibs and knees stayed dry while kneeling.
Cheese Head

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:29 PM »
I picked up a set at Fleet Farm today. I saw them this past weekend while I was picking up a few things. What caught my eye was the adjustable legs. I'm 5' 8" and my current non insulated bibs are long. I also don't really have an ice fishing jacket or parka. I typically use on of my hunting parkas or a normal jacket.  I started researching them last night and was surprised at all the posts.

Well, I was thinking of the Predator set, but when I went back there to return a set of cleats I had to take another look.  I changed the length of the legs in the store and fell in love with the fit. I had tried changing the length before but couldn't figure it out, which I also looked up.  Since they had the parka and bibs in my size I took the plunge.

I figured I probably wouldn't find a Predator set anytime soon since most stores are done getting ice fishing equipment in and many are out of popular sizes.  I'm a pretty big guy, I had both the bibs and parka on in the store and was surprised I wasn't overly hot, I was cozy, but I obviously wasn't moving around a lot.

My only problem is the length of the parka.  Since you typically wear it with the bibs I don't know why you need a long parka. Those zippers are tricky because you have line the two up and push down to keep the top one seated in the lower one while inserting the other side of the zipper. My arms are to short and I feel like a T-Rex.  Funny that my other hunting parka has the same style of zipper and I haven't found a trick to start the zipper easily, I have to fiddle fart with it a bit.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:11 AM »
Those zippers are tricky because you have line the two up and push down to keep the top one seated in the lower one while inserting the other side of the zipper.

I also find the zipper a bit tricky, but I am getting used to it.
Cheese Head

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:30 AM »
theses are the most thought out and well built ice fishing suit i have tried and i have tried the top three brands now. the others got blown away by this company and now they are playing catch up to them or just losing out on sales. i see artic armor has made no change, so they are just losing out, while clam is trying to compete with striker. so that's a good thing for us all.
i still never found the pull out cup holder. i read it's hidden in a slit on the bibs some where.
they should add a retractable ice scoop to it next lol.
My only problem is the length of the parka.  Since you typically wear it with the bibs I don't know why you need a long parka.
it's to help keep wind from getting in. if you seat your self with back against the wind like most of us do, then that added length makes sense.
also, it adds to the float assist by having more "sure float" material.
My arms are to short and I feel like a T-Rex.
and then for those of us who have normal arm length, it makes sense because our hand fit into those bottom pockets just fine.

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:50 PM »
the can holder on my hardwater bibs is on the side of the right side towel pocket.outer edge of pocket held closed with a snap.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:33 PM »
Yeah, the outside of the right pocket looks like the seam isn't stitched, that's where the holder is.  I checked every pocket on my set and the bibs and parka both had a UPC sticker with a black magic marker line through them. Not sure what that's about, maybe a quality control check of sorts. Like finding 'inspected by ...' notes in some products. Neither one were in a standard pocket either.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:43 PM »
thanks!
found it. it seems funny that took all of that time to put that there. i know i wouldn't use it while walking and if i am sitting i don't need it, but it's odd. who ever thought that out must have had some thing on their mind lol. the rest of that area looks like a cool stash spot tho.

the marker thing. to me it means seconds, but i hope that's not the case for your suit.

Offline Yelloweyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:12 PM »
My wife bought me a pair of Predator Bibs.  I thought they were going to be awesome.  they were for 2 trips, then the seam blew out on the leg.  Needless to say I sent them in and now I am waiting.  Its so disappointing to spend that kind of money, and have a bad product.  Its been 4 weeks and I still haven't seen them.  I can honestly say that I don't think I will buy another Striker product.  I only have about 30 days of season left, at this rate I will be lucky to have them back by then.

Offline The Big Job

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:16 PM »
I've been Leary for two years now and finally bought a pair at the Milwaukee Ice Show.  6 days on the ice and a zipper seam and pocket seam fell apart.  Was thankfully able to wash my hands of them and send them back to Thorne Brothers.  Just found a smoking deal on a pair of Frabills thanks to a shanty member, hopefully the experience is better.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:32 AM »
Out of the thousands of suits sold, I'm sure a few might have flaws, just like all the cars with "flaws" , I'm not switching to a cheaper brand just because, I'll stay with the hardwater suit!!

Offline The Big Job

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:06 AM »
It's funny you mention that.  I bought the Climate bibs and on Strikers website the first sentence of the description likens them to a Ferrari.  As much as I appreciate a fine Italian sports car, the joke amongst the people I know is, much like a Ferrari expect them to be in the repair shop.  I'm sure Striker will will address the quality issues most companies do.  I don't design soft goods but it seems the infamous Striker/Ice Armor designer could use some of the same breathable materials  of other winter sports gear.  These brands aren't selling quality, they're selling price point, and most importantly, 'floatable'.  I didn't send my bibs back to striker because I didn't want to wait for the next flaw to show its face.  They did have some nice touches though, the adjustable leg cuffs were genius, and the magnetic zipper flap closures were a nice touch.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:22 AM »
I've been lucky my coat and bibs work just fine :-) been out several times now, and they seem to be well made, I like that you can't really tell their a float suit compared to the frabile ones I tried in the store. I've got no complaints definatly warmest suit I've had now. I do know earlier versions had problems with crotches ripping but they addressed that, but then again clam had the same issues.....:-), Won't forget my friend splitting this bottoms out fishing last year, and having to have to field stich them back to usable condition to finish out the year. :-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Yelloweyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2017, 01:11 PM »
I finally got my bibs back.  took about 4 weeks to get it all sorted out.  they repaired them, the only thing is that the fabric bunches a bit, and there is now no seam tape in that section.  so they will leak but at least I can go ice fishing again!!

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2017, 02:27 PM »

Good luck getting call from factory , i thought striker was the real deal but am finding out otherwise . im dealing with no response from customer support HA what a joke rather NO customer support .im in a customer service biz as a factory rep and if i had this level of support - lack there of- id be fired .
Stuff comes from over seas and when they run out they're out until next season . Rethinking ever buying from striker again.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:04 AM »
I like my suit, very warm, but blew out the crotch in the second season, I sewed it and its held, same happened to my arctic armor.  I have a new set of cabelas guide wear extreme, hope it turns out to be good, I did use it a few weekends ago lake trout fishing, weather was warm and raining, my buddy got soaked, I stayed dry, even kneeling in the slush!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.