Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 821761 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #660 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:24 AM »
I built a "smitty sled" three years ago. I put a 48 quart cooler on it to store lunch . sit on, and tip ups in. I painted it all black and  the Sun really warms it up.    I also added about 20 feet of pull rope. 'this makes it easier on the arms as the long hemp rope acts as a shock absorber for my steps.  with a smaller back rest, I screwed some pvc tubes to slide my rod handles in. My jiffy STX lays down one side.
Thread killer

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #661 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:57 PM »
here's our sled...built with nicjohnsrud who posted the mini smitty on the previous page...he did more working, i did more PBRing.

broke down

assembled

ths skis

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #662 on: Dec 28, 2012, 05:58 AM »
Nice style, that is one custom smitty sled.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #663 on: Dec 28, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Nice style, that is one custom smitty sled.

thanks smitty...and thanks for this great idea!

Offline hazy_eskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #664 on: Dec 28, 2012, 07:16 PM »

Just joined this forum and have been loving all the tips and ideas, the sled pulls great and all fits(barely) in the back of my jeep.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #665 on: Dec 29, 2012, 06:54 PM »
I just never get tired of seeing more of these every year!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline TonyD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #666 on: Dec 30, 2012, 01:58 PM »
Hey smitty, quick question if you don't mind - what is the length that you cut the 2x6's?

Offline muskydg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #667 on: Dec 31, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Smitty, x 2 on the length of the 2x6's. just starting my sled. made mine out of 2x8's by 2 feet long and angled the fronts. Also how far from the back end of the skiis did you start your first riser. Looking forward to see how easy this is going to pull.

Thanks
Dennis

Offline Steellord2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #668 on: Dec 31, 2012, 03:38 PM »
Just got my Smitty sled completed. I can't wait to try this out on the ice.

Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
Use in that order!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #669 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Tried both of mine out today! There was no snow on the ice  so everthing towed liked there was nothing there.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #670 on: Jan 05, 2013, 11:32 PM »
Broke my smitty sled today. First, I had it loaded in the back of my truck and as I was letting it down to the ground I dropped it and broke the cross members. Managed to make new ones but my bolt holes didn't line up. I got it reassembled and did go fishing. Then after getting home, I was taking it apart and the top of one of the risers broke off. That'll take a bit more work to get that fixed. Might have to start over with new risers and stronger cross members. Then I noticed the weld on one of the forks on my auger track broke. Didn't make for a very productive day.
jbird68

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #671 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:10 PM »
Broke my smitty sled today. First, I had it loaded in the back of my truck and as I was letting it down to the ground I dropped it and broke the cross members. Managed to make new ones but my bolt holes didn't line up. I got it reassembled and did go fishing. Then after getting home, I was taking it apart and the top of one of the risers broke off. That'll take a bit more work to get that fixed. Might have to start over with new risers and stronger cross members. Then I noticed the weld on one of the forks on my auger track broke. Didn't make for a very productive day.

What you can do if you use a 2X6 board for a riser is to sister a piece of 1/2" plywood (shaped like the riser)  screwed and glued to the riser....this will add substantial strength to the wood and it will be less likely to break along the grain... if i were to make another one... I'd sister two pieces of 3/4 plywood.. screwed and glued for my riser... I also  beefed up my cross members by using 2X6 boards instead of 2X4's... I morticed and tenioned ( 2" tenion) them to add more stability and torque the risers less...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline monoped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #672 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:47 PM »
I used 2x6 with tenon also,a little bit of play but consoled my self some give is all right.
Hole in ice attracts loose and dropped objects.
Value adds speed.

Offline IceMan97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #673 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Very nice looking sled! I like how you have the shanty and your auger on the side of the sled, This is what I was thinking I would like to do. I have two questions, do you fasten down your sled to the cross bracing? And how do you make it so that the cross bracing will be allowed to be removed for the skis? This is what is slowing me down a little bit. Thank you!

Iceman

here's our sled...built with nicjohnsrud who posted the mini smitty on the previous page...he did more working, i did more PBRing.

broke down
(Image removed from quote.)

assembled

ths skis
Where's the Ice?

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #674 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:58 PM »

We did a 3/8 inch steel rod in the base, and just holes drilled in the 2x4 cross pieces. Have eye bolts on the end of the cross pieces and use a short bungee going to a hole drilled in the lip of the sled. Haven't actually used it on the ice yet, don't need the auger with 5 inches of ice, but it seems real sturdy, and hopefully will work well.

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #675 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Took advantage of this warm weather, and make me a Smitty today.  Just wanted to say thank you for the great concept!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #676 on: Jan 13, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Everybody is doing great work on these, keep em' coming. I am loving all the imagination everybody is coming up with.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Davey why

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #677 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:37 AM »
What is the best way to secure a nanook 2 man to a smitty sled
The sled has aluminum cross supports
I tried bungee cords  --   ratchet straps  i would rather not drill any holes in the tub
 Thanks

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #678 on: Jan 14, 2013, 04:22 PM »
I just made mine and I LOVE IT!  Thank you Smitty. I cannot tell you how much easier it is to pull. I used to be very reluctant to take my Hub shelter because of the weight, but no longer. It really makes life much easier. I made it a little wider than the Jet Sled to accommodate my Hub beside the sled. I also added some rubber roofing patch material to the cross members and they hold the Jet Sled in place like glue.

Thanks again Smitty.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #679 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:14 PM »
What is the best way to secure a nanook 2 man to a smitty sled
The sled has aluminum cross supports
I tried bungee cords  --   ratchet straps  i would rather not drill any holes in the tub
 Thanks
Bungee cords work great.

Offline Mr.Walliye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #680 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:56 PM »
Very nice. I'm all about budget ideas!

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #681 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:05 AM »
I love that this thread is still going after 4 years! Impressive.  Still using my Smitty sled from way back in the original posts!   :tipup:
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #682 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:45 PM »
I have recently purchased a clam sleeper.  And am thinking of making a smitty sled for it it is 4'x8' when folded up and weighs roughly 175lbs has anyone made a 4 ski with steering front ski smitty sled?any thoughts I have a drawing I will try to post. 

I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #683 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:54 PM »
I made a steerable cart for a large 500lb power washer once. I kind of designed it of the steering system of a go cart. It worked great and could have easily been use for a ski system. Sorry I never took pics of it and I don't work at that shop anymore.

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #684 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:33 AM »
I am going to use a swivel chair mount simple and light weight.   But I am still in the drawing phase I want it to be able to come apart easily and assemble easily that is why im choosing the smitty style sled but my house is larger and heavier than any ive seen on here
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #685 on: Jan 21, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Guy on local lake had a sled built like this and sat on his house and used his snowblower with chains on the wheels to pull himself out on the ice. ;D lite snow cover... funniest thing to see.
Fishin red lines

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #686 on: Jan 27, 2013, 07:39 AM »
Here's my version of the "Smitty" fresh out of the shop for it's maiden voyage last night. 2x8's for the legs, 2x4's for the cross members, storage locker mounted on 1" PVC frame for the body... ski's cost me $10 at Deseret Industries (Utah's version of Salvation Army).

A modified "Blitz Box" (aka tough crate, milk crate) holds the jigging rods

The mount for my Vex is a modified "carry over" from my original Jet Sled Jr. modification

Broken down, packed away inside the Xterra

Thanks for the inspiration Smitty! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #687 on: Jan 27, 2013, 07:46 AM »
Very nice looking set up. I see you don't mess around when it comes to lounging around. I have never see anyone with a lounge chair in their set up. Better to take a nap when things are slow huh?
<===Lefty===

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #688 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:01 AM »
Very nice!! For a $15 investment you are going to have many years of fun!  :thumbsup: Great job!!  :clap:

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #689 on: Jan 27, 2013, 12:07 PM »
Sweet looking set up..................Li ke the use of the PVC and the wood.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.