Author Topic: Boxbutte  (Read 20226 times)

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Boxbutte
« Reply #60 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:39 PM »
I got blown off the lake today about 2 p.m. There was 3" of water on top of the ice so when the wind blew me down I wasn't all that thrilled. It was raining pretty hard by the time I got all the gear into the truck. The dip in the pressure sure shut the pike down. We iced two that are already with the others pickling as we speak.

With the lull I sat down with the vex and started pulling out some nice gills and a couple of perch. A tear drop with a waxie was the ticket. Meal worms were snubbed as were a bit of crawler. As the kids get bigger and chase the tip ups by themselves I'll hopefully have more time to catch the panfish!

On the funny side of things I lost my auger down the hole in 10' of water yesterday. Talk about a sinking feeling standing there with my auger head in hand watching the jiffy 3500 auger shaft sink to the depths below. I felt like I was starring in a scene of Grumpy Old Men. I left the remainder of the crew to tend to tip ups and ran to town for a magnet. Something that will always go with me in the shack now!!!!!!!!

Magnet $6.99, 20' of rope $5.02, feeling the CLANK and seeing the shaft raise from the bottom felt PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately this is my last trip of the year as I'm having the shoulder worked on. I want to see some pictures of the monsters you guys pull out!!

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:09 PM »
Wyotoach, how long do you think the ice will last due to the warm weather? I can't wait to male a trip out there if ice is available!

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:14 PM »
I have no clue how long it will last. Temperatures in the 50s and 40+ mph winds doesn't bode well. The edge was real soft coming off today and there was 3" of standing water on top of the ice. The wind was whipping so hard that the water level in our holes was moving at least 6" vertically. Was spooky!

I have never seen tip ups get blown OUT of holes before! Luckily the trebles would catch the ice as they came out of the hole.

I'd check weather.com leading up to your trip and if the lows have been in the teens and 20's you should be ok. Just and opinion though, no relevence behind my thinking!

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:29 PM »
hey wyo did you head to hunters or the west end do you think i would be able to get my car down close enough without getting stuck

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:36 PM »
I appreciate it greatly. Had a few tip ups blow ouuta holes last night, wind was bad enough to warp all my anchors that held what is left of my hut into the ice. Can't complain to much though still caught a few walleye!

Offline ICatchLilFishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • >))))> Keep your poles on the ice!!! <((((<
« Reply #65 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Wyotoach nice pic cant imagin how that pike was still hungry to hit the tip-up with a 10inch gill and two perch in its belly. No wonder i can never find the nice pan fish in that lake lol.
  “Bring It”

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:08 PM »
That was our thought too Fishy! The one I cleaned tonight had 3 perch and some of our smelt from yesterday. We hooked a fish yesterday that we could never get to the hole and broke my black ice line. Not sure what pound test it is but we had 12" leaders on.  I'm guessing he'd have went well over 45".

Offline ICatchLilFishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • >))))> Keep your poles on the ice!!! <((((<
« Reply #67 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:18 PM »
They are just eating machines. Last year I saw two 42, and a 40 pulled out of there so I wouldn't doubt it there are some monster pike in there. I caught a big one last year with two different trebble hooks in the mouth still.
  “Bring It”

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #68 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:24 PM »
Think ice will be safe for me in the morning? Im getting ready to leave now and if its unsafe ill have to change my plans I guess
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:27 PM »
I think it'll be safe in the morning. I'd go back if I was closer and didn't have a pre surgery dr's appt. If it's sketchy head up the road to Walgren.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #70 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:32 PM »
Ok thanks! Hunters point a good spot to start for pike? I have no idea were to find the perch I just got lucky last year

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:44 PM »
Hunter's point is a great area for pike. Start anywhere from 3' out to 20'. I try to key on willows or weeds that i can see under the ice and set my bait from a foot off the bottom up to just 2' under the ice.

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Lil Fishy... I forgot to mention that the one I cleaned last night had ingested another pike....

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #73 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:42 PM »
 Would be interested in an update on the ice conditions. I am hoping to head up there tomorrow for a couple of days. I see the wind will be a howlin' for sure.

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:22 PM »
The ice is fine still 10+ and only melts a 1/4 inch all day of water on top little puddles we fished the west end had luck but not much everything was kinda small only nice thing today was a 10" gill the guys beside us were having a blast tho many flags up

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #75 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Ice was around 10" or so but it wasn't windy today

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:32 PM »
How about the fishing?

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #77 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:05 PM »
I caught fish 7 pike lost more lol biggest was 22" all around that had 2 smaller I kept a few to give cleaning them a try but wont get much out of them ...I caught a few perch too Nothin like I hoped but also didn't really target them like last time I was out here also caught about a 3lb7hr bass and some real nice bluegill and some dinky crappie

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #78 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:28 PM »
I think I will drive there for some Sunday ice time. Will you still be out there UL?

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #79 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:36 AM »
I will be in the morning then around noon ill be leavin

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:32 AM »
We caught a ton of nice largemouth last year on the tip ups. What a blast those pigs are to  catch through the ice!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:07 AM »
Headin up Monday am with fishaholictaz..  Thanks to everyone that has been putting up updates, especially on ice conditions. Will report when we get back. Cheers,Chris

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:44 PM »
I'll be up there tomorrow around 10am. Teal F150, brown coveralls.

Eric is my name. Hope to meet a few of you guys this year.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:17 PM »
 Fish today still plenty  of ice 10"+ .  very slow bite but probly has something to do with the blizzard!! Still caught a few pike but no perch or keeper panfish. Debating on calling it quits and just head home in the am...

TYLERFEEZER

« Reply #84 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Went up today. Caught two pike and lost another. Bite was pretty slow but it could have been affected by the weather.  My 23" had a full big bluegill in its stomach so they are eating. Caught both on PK lures.

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:09 AM »
Here's a couple from the friend's camera.

Offline eyesntightlines

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beer on the ice is always nice!
« Reply #86 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:10 AM »
Happy New Years Everyone!

Offline auhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Hello and Happy New Year
I am looking for some information about Boxbutte? Is there any motels within 30 miles of the lake? If not how close are the closest ones? Where would be the closest place to the lake to get an out of state license and fishing regs?
Thanks for any info.
may their be holes in your ice and fish in your holes

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 01, 2012, 01:01 PM »
Hello and Happy New Year
I am looking for some information about Boxbutte? Is there any motels within 30 miles of the lake? If not how close are the closest ones? Where would be the closest place to the lake to get an out of state license and fishing regs?
Thanks for any info.

Look online at Nebraska game and parks for regs and to buy permits.  Alliance, NE is probably your best bet for lodging.

Good fishing,

Keith

Offline auhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 01, 2012, 01:11 PM »
Thanks Keith:  Good luck to you and yours in the new year. Keep what you need and through the rest back.
may their be holes in your ice and fish in your holes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.