The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake; 2019  (Read 16460 times)

Offline Dianam

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Gull Lake; 2019
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:16 AM »
I am already getting some cards back, thanks to all who are keeping track.  The steelhead averaged 5 1/2 inches in spring 2017 and just under 5 inches in spring 2018.  That first year should be close to legal, and some short fish should be showing up.  I have not heard one report of any being caught.  The hook regulation change just happened and was a surprise to us.  It was a lame duck legislation change. 

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:47 AM »
For everyone wondering about the Smelt Bite ..... I am making my 1st. trip for them tonight. Going off Baseline rd. & I will post what I find, later tonight. Not really expecting too much. Been getting lots of PMs. & my FB  page is blowing up w/ everyone wanting to know. Keep ya all posted  ,     Phil
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:56 AM »
For everyone wondering about the Smelt Bite ..... I am making my 1st. trip for them tonight. Going off Baseline rd. & I will post what I find, later tonight. Not really expecting too much. Been getting lots of PMs. & my FB  page is blowing up w/ everyone wanting to know. Keep ya all posted  ,     Phil
If you dont mind Phil I would be interested in ice thickness straight west out of baseline. I was wanting to cross the lake on foot but am a bit chicken alone and in the dark.  ;)
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Man SB...I hope you catch a couple of dem smeltz...or at least graph some.  Fingers crossed!
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Fishkilla, I will post a full report tonight on Ice conditions, snow ,smelt ,etc. ! Wgorby, I'm hoping so too. Just happy to be getting out !  hoping to get out to at least 80 FOW.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10:40 PM »
Ok, here is my report.10-12" of snow on the lake w/ slush in some areas. The walk both ways, was a tough one .   4" of ice in 70 FOW off of Baseline rd. . Snowmachines are running on the lake. Seen a group of guys fishing the "Hogsback", don't know how they did. Contrary to popular belief, Smelt are not "Extinct" in Gull . We did catch a couple tonight. Far cry from what it was, just 3 yrs. ago.  Don't know what the weather is going to do to the ice, but w/ all the snow & slush, it does not look good.  Had a couple of guys set up about 100 yds from us, dont know how they did & we did not see anyone else out in the deepwater tonight.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2019, 04:05 AM »
Really good to hear you got some last night.  Maybe they will come back real good in a few years.  Thanks for the update.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2019, 08:54 AM »
Thank you, SB.
Your report efforts are appreciated. Good to hear there are at least a few still alive.

Offline BC_ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:44 AM »
Good to hear SB. Thanks for your reports. Hopefully they can make a comeback to what they once were.
}<((((°> 
                }<((((°>

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:54 AM »
Made it out again last night w/ Smelt jr., we managed to catch a few more, in about 75 FOW. 1/2 dozen other shanties out there. Talked to the folks in 2 of them & they each had a few, also. Only had about 3 1/2'- 4" of ice where we were. The walk out from the North end boat launch was much easier than the walk, the night before, off Baseline rd. .  The bite lasted only about an hour or so, for us.

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:34 PM »
I caught 1 smelt yesterday between first and second bay lol. Lost it at the hole, probably because I was laughing so hard. It’s relatively shallow there so I was shocked. I was fishing a school of crappie, definitely wasn’t targeting smelt. Hopefully that’s a good sign!

Unfortunately the weather doesn’t look promising for future Gull Lake smelt fishing.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Good to hear that their is a few smelt left. Like princecraft said give it a few years. Thanks for the update smeltbuster.  :thumbsup:

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:51 PM »
I fished South bay, this afternoon,  managed to get 3 nice Gills. Did LOTS of hole hoping & marked lots of fish, they just would not Bite !  Probably 10-15 others out there & it appeared to be slow for them ,also.  I have not put garbage cans out this year, at south bay ,& it shows. Picked up a lot of trash, & left some that looked questionable . guess I need to get the cans out there .

Offline chalky1489

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:27 AM »
Anyone have any luck targeting those steelhead yet?

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #44 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Anyone have any luck targeting those steelhead yet?
The most recent plants likely haven't reached keeper size yet so not much sense in targeting them for me.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:14 PM »
If the ice holds up, I will at least try a few more times, to catch some Steelies out there. I tried in South Bay 2 weeks ago & will try some other spots that used to be good, back in the 90s. We did target them this past fall, trolling & had no luck.

Offline chalky1489

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:16 AM »
The most recent plants likely haven't reached keeper size yet so not much sense in targeting them for me.

Thats kinda what I was wondering, how big are they if anyone is catching them

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #47 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:24 PM »
So I live over on the east side and get way less snow hence more ice building on my lake than those on the west side. Ive fished Gull a few times hardwater for smelt and know it's not like it used to be, fine with that.  Point is my lake had 10"-12" of ice and I've seen it rapidly reduce to 4"-6" with this latest warm spell. We only had about 6" of snow on top before the melt. I'm hearing reports of 3.5"-4" over gull. Question is next Wednesday Thursday I have a work seminar to attend at Firekeepers . A few co workers and I who do a lot of ice fishing were planning on skipping the banquet dinner and heading over to Gull for some afternoon, evening fishing. Tomorrow seems to be the determining factor if she hasn't already opened up, but thinking by Wednesday night should be safe enough to get out on again. (Granted no major snows hit).  Does anyone have any current updates or drive-by? I suppose I need to check the lake camera too.
Thanks for any information.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:56 PM »
So I live over on the east side and get way less snow hence more ice building on my lake than those on the west side. Ive fished Gull a few times hardwater for smelt and know it's not like it used to be, fine with that.  Point is my lake had 10"-12" of ice and I've seen it rapidly reduce to 4"-6" with this latest warm spell. We only had about 6" of snow on top before the melt. I'm hearing reports of 3.5"-4" over gull. Question is next Wednesday Thursday I have a work seminar to attend at Firekeepers . A few co workers and I who do a lot of ice fishing were planning on skipping the banquet dinner and heading over to Gull for some afternoon, evening fishing. Tomorrow seems to be the determining factor if she hasn't already opened up, but thinking by Wednesday night should be safe enough to get out on again. (Granted no major snows hit).  Does anyone have any current updates or drive-by? I suppose I need to check the lake camera too.
Thanks for any information.

I'm on the North/East side of the lake and I'd say the deeper "smelt spots" are sketchy at best right now, and with tomorrow's 50 degree weather I think we may be screwed for ice.  I'll report back on Friday after the temps drop again.  The South Bay should be fine for a while, it's a soupy mess now but technically fishable if you'd rather pan fish than smelt fish.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 06, 2019, 02:21 PM »
Thank you very much for the update and most appreciative for the future one.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:12 PM »
I will also keep everyone up to date on ice conditions. I am going to attempt to get out on the north end, Thurs. night. Also planning on checking the ice ,just south of Ross twp. park , on Friday .

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:52 PM »
I was also wondering ice conditions on Gull for this weekend.  I think we would of been fine, but with this ice killer temperature's and rain coming tomorrow. This weather sucks  :'( :%$#!:

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:33 PM »
The ice at the North end Boat launch is UNSAFE .  Smelt jr. checked it,out to about 50 yds. from shore & his spud went thru w/ 2 whacks. He said that most of the ice is Honeycombed . Him & I will be checking Baseline rd., sometime in the morning. He thinks that the creek is messing things up at the launch. I will try to post something before noon, about what we find. I will also try to check other places as well. 

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Thanks for the update. By Wednesday night, should have gained two inches and current ice tightens up! Or so I hope. Be safe this weekend for all who ventures anywhere!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:43 AM »
 Smelt jr. & I checked Baseline rd. a short time ago & it is not good for at least today. The warm weather did some damage to the ice. Large cracks run several hundred yds. in different directions. Also, they are getting covered up w/ blowing snow ,creating a dangerous situation. Even though we have only got about an inch or 2 , since last night, it is building up on the east shore. The ice that I did check, was fine, & I think w/ this cold weather, it should lock back up within 24 hrs. or so. We could literally see the ice moving, on the lake. Seen 2 shanties on the Bible Conf.  . 2nd. bay access looks like it has been lost. It is wide open @ the docks, where you walk on. I also checked South Bay & it looks like guys have been out there. A word of caution about it ,though. I walked down to the dock & the area where we drag our sleds on, between the docks, is UNSAFE. My spud went thru w/ 1 whack. The ice @ the end of the dock seemed fine, but I did not venture out ,as I was alone. Watch the Baycam . I will be checking again ,Saturday ,late morning.

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:39 PM »
The heavy rain runoff and warm weather melted a lot of the shore ice. I was walking through three inches of water on top of the ice last Sunday. I fish on a small lake near Gull but I haven't ventured out to check the ice around the edges. I may poke around the edges tonight if I get home early enough. Surprisingly I haven't seen more than about 4-5 inches of ice all year and it locks up quicker than Gull. Reports on Gull ice have been thicker than that.

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:33 PM »
The heavy rain runoff and warm weather melted a lot of the shore ice. I was walking through three inches of water on top of the ice last Sunday. I fish on a small lake near Gull but I haven't ventured out to check the ice around the edges. I may poke around the edges tonight if I get home early enough. Surprisingly I haven't seen more than about 4-5 inches of ice all year and it locks up quicker than Gull. Reports on Gull ice have been thicker than that.

Little Long or Sherman? Both have been sketchy compared to Gull. And the fishing hasn’t been as good.

Offline fishin4smelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:56 AM »

Can someone explain to me how to private message a current member...Tim

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Can someone explain to me how to private message a current member...Tim
Click on their screen name  & their profile will come up. Click on 'Send pm'  & a message screen will pop up. pretty easy  once you do it  !

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:35 AM »
if you can't find their name in a post, you can run their name thru member search above where it says member and then click members search.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.