Author Topic: Bringing back an old recon dlx  (Read 1224 times)

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bringing back an old recon dlx
« on: Oct 19, 2019, 09:57 PM »
Got a cheap recon dlx at the end of last year. Here are a few of the things I’ve done to improve on the old design.

First thing I did was remove the jump seat.

I thought about using a plano trunk. But decided against it since it had no back rest and the frabill seat was hard as a rock.

2nd thing I did, I noticed newer sentinel shacks had a new pole configuration, resulting in the bottom bar being closer to the ice and a bit more head room. So, I drilled a new hole in the baseplate and move the bars around.

A Cabela’s folding ice chair keeps things light, saves on space and is far more comfortable than the original plywood jump seat.

I also noticed in newer sentinel shacks they added more Velcro points on the bottom skirt. So I did just that, little bit of 20lbs test power pro and a sewing needle secured the skirt farther up the bottom rail

Next I’m looking to do either a shelf that locks into the bars or a console in one of the corners. Will post up if I end up doing it. I have this laying around so we will see.

Hopefully this will help others who have this simple light shacks laying around and will breath some new life into them.

If you run one of these or something similar I would love to see your tips or tricks for your 1 man flip overs.

Tight lines.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bringing back an old recon dlx
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Have a look at the post in my sig, I did a fairly extensive mod of an Eskimo Wide 1 a couple years ago. Very comfortable one man set up. I found lots of great idea on this forum and tried to roll everything I learned into one shack.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.