The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gotta try this spot in the summer before ice fishing it.  (Read 1203 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
Re: Gotta try this spot in the summer before ice fishing it.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2019, 07:48 AM »
Been by it!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:05 AM »
you gotta be in world class shape to get there in the summer.from the rez side....in the winter you'd have to be  hardcore/almost impossible....ive been there a few times...figured if it was called no fish lake..it had to have fish in it...right?....last time I went it had this green slime algae....and I indeed saw no fish...coming down into the lake from the saddle going up to st marys peak  there was a 35 mph wind in my face..saw a monster griz….wind hid my smell..also made my spray useless....the earth was turned up everywhere..like a wild hog came thru...it was the griz eating onions and gorging on voles...we made eye contact simulataneously...and went our separate  ways..he went up the ridge...and I went down to catch no fish...at no fish lake....saw a wolverine the next morning outside my tent....

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:39 PM »
you gotta be in world class shape to get there in the summer.from the rez side....in the winter you'd have to be  hardcore/almost impossible....ive been there a few times...figured if it was called no fish lake..it had to have fish in it...right?....last time I went it had this green slime algae....and I indeed saw no fish...coming down into the lake from the saddle going up to st marys peak  there was a 35 mph wind in my face..saw a monster griz….wind hid my smell..also made my spray useless....the earth was turned up everywhere..like a wild hog came thru...it was the griz eating onions and gorging on voles...we made eye contact simulataneously...and went our separate  ways..he went up the ridge...and I went down to catch no fish...at no fish lake....saw a wolverine the next morning outside my tent....

Been by it!

How deep is the Lake?  Do either of you have pictures of the area?  I kinda plotted a path last night using a topo, more of a wish list to do type thing.  But I am serious enough about. 
I did the same thing for the far West end of Swift Reservoir 2 summers ago.  I should have planned on a tent trip for the fishing but didn't.  Took the camper and stayed in the lower campground for a week up there.  I spit out a lot of lung parts going up and down the hill everyday.

I want to make a 6 day trip in, this next summer, tenting.  There are the other two lakes, High Park and Grey Wolf I want to try just to the East.  They should hold some fish.  So if you have more info, please do let me know.

Thanks in Advance,

Herb
wish you many hook-ups

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:18 PM »
I have actually done a few 4 day trips in a loop hitting all lakes you have mentioned....it is trip of a lifetime...we used to ski up that way a lot in the winter....and also again in summer on corned snow in the x y z bowls.....I have only accessed it from rez side.....it definitely has its challenges...especiall y accessing st marys peak from high park or the other way high park to grey wolf lake.....if you could get a float tube up to grey wolf.....lots of cuts.....pm me in the summer before you go and maybe I could help with your itenarary….

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:38 PM »
Expect a PM on May 6th, this spring.  I am planning on this trip.  I won't do the float tube but I will hit those lakes.  No Fish Lake first.  My plan at this time is to start at Saint Marys Lake Campground in June.  Not really looking for easy in but surely not a route that requires climbing skills, I just need a good place to park the camper so when I come out I can rest and clean up.

A friend has 2 horses he already offered last night so that may be an option.  I actually did a 30 day hike in the Gore Range in Colorado.  Grant you that I was quite younger then.  I ate a lot of rabbit, chipmunk and brook trout and lost about 20 lbs.  It started with 7 of us and by the third day I was the only one to keep going.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline pump

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:54 PM »
The Tribes have planted some lakes in that area, on or not on the reservation. Your guess as to whether it lives up to it's name.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Expect a PM on May 6th, this spring.  I am planning on this trip.  I won't do the float tube but I will hit those lakes.  No Fish Lake first.  My plan at this time is to start at Saint Marys Lake Campground in June.  Not really looking for easy in but surely not a route that requires climbing skills, I just need a good place to park the camper so when I come out I can rest and clean up.

A friend has 2 horses he already offered last night so that may be an option.  I actually did a 30 day hike in the Gore Range in Colorado.  Grant you that I was quite younger then.  I ate a lot of rabbit, chipmunk and brook trout and lost about 20 lbs.  It started with 7 of us and by the third day I was the only one to keep going.
unless something crazy/never happened before...there will be a lot of snow and the lakes will still be frozen in early may...usually this area is not snow ice free until early july…..

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2019, 03:22 PM »
google the north fork jocko snotel site..which is a few miles from some of the lakes you wanna go....you can check the daily snow pack readings...and will be a good tool to see when the snowpack has melted on south facing slopes...…...

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2019, 03:43 PM »
64" right now.  July will be hard for me to make but I will start rescheduling to see if possible.  Thank so much for the web site link.  This is my summer goal.

Many Thanks,

Herb
wish you many hook-ups

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2019, 07:49 PM »
I've been to this lake via Gray Wolf trail which you can access from the Jocko, and also starting at St.Mary's Lake (reservoir) above St. Ignatius.  The route from St.Mary's is a scramble up the ridge to St. Mary's peak and then down scree slopes to No Fish Lake.  No way possible for a horse because of steep slopes, downfall, this is a tough route even to hike. 
Usually by late summer trail to Gray Wolf is passable (maybe suitable for horses but most likely not).  Route from Gray Wolf to No Fish is steep and rocky, not a place to take a horse, but not a bad daytrip hiking from Gray Wolf Lake, finding the goat trails will help.  An ice fishing trip would have to be done on skis or snowshoes an would be extreme.  A lot of work to get to a lake that may or may not have fish.
There are better lakes in the Missions.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2019, 09:05 PM »
I've been to this lake via Gray Wolf trail which you can access from the Jocko, and also starting at St.Mary's Lake (reservoir) above St. Ignatius.  The route from St.Mary's is a scramble up the ridge to St. Mary's peak and then down scree slopes to No Fish Lake.  No way possible for a horse because of steep slopes, downfall, this is a tough route even to hike. 
Usually by late summer trail to Gray Wolf is passable (maybe suitable for horses but most likely not).  Route from Gray Wolf to No Fish is steep and rocky, not a place to take a horse, but not a bad daytrip hiking from Gray Wolf Lake, finding the goat trails will help.  An ice fishing trip would have to be done on skis or snowshoes an would be extreme.  A lot of work to get to a lake that may or may not have fish.
There are better lakes in the Missions.

Sounds real discouraging but got my mind set for it already and hate to let myself down.  I'll do the summer trip for sure and then evaluate any future trips.  I'm getting old and waiting for a perfect time won't help.  Thank You for the information tho.
wish you many hook-ups

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.