The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Side by side purchase  (Read 1106 times)

Offline hunting-bum

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish when I can't Hunt.
Side by side purchase
« on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:13 PM »
I am looking for input on a UTV. I will be using it for ice season and hunting.
 I am planning on getting a 50" trail model.
I am in between a Can-Am Maverick Trail and Polaris RZR.

Thanks for any input.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Side by side purchase
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:31 PM »
Both are good quality machines . Basically the same body style . I'd get in the driver's seat with your heavy hunting/ice fishing gear on and see which is more comfortable . Believe it or not it makes a big difference with heavy restrictive clothing . JMHO

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:58 PM »
Another thing I would consider is the dealership you are purchasing from and what kind of service they give before and after the sale.

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2018, 11:19 PM »
both are good i currently am on my 2nd can am maverick turbo  first one was a two seater the one i have now is a four seater both do great on the ice and in the woods. id say sit in each model your looking at and witch ever your most comfortable with go with it. also what dealership are you looking at? 

Offline Cgasner1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Was in the same boat this spring sat in the maverick trail that’s what’s sitting in my shop only down fall is they don’t quite have as much stuff for them yet since it’s the first year they have made it

Offline Jared D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Check out this little hot rod! Does not seem like a bad deal and is still a 50" trail machine. Just an idea

https://www.missoulaarcticcat.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2014-Arctic-Cat-Utility-Vehicle-Wildcat-Trail-XT-Russell-Motorsports-6123473?ref=list

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Polaris machines in general seem to require a lot more maintenance. Honda or yamaha are the way to go.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Polaris machines in general seem to require a lot more maintenance. Honda or yamaha are the way to go.

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Depending on your ride style whereas the maverick and rzr are more on the sporty end of the spectrum there's the Honda pioneer 500 on the more utility side of the spectrum. It's a good 50" trail legal machine that's sold intentionally kind of stripped down. It has a base msrp around $8k, but you can add additional accessories to create the unit you want.

Offline hunting-bum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:56 PM »
Check out this little hot rod! Does not seem like a bad deal and is still a 50" trail machine. Just an idea

https://www.missoulaarcticcat.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2014-Arctic-Cat-Utility-Vehicle-Wildcat-Trail-XT-Russell-Motorsports-6123473?ref=list

I really like the Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail, but my knee is jammed up against the dash. If they had a few more inches of leg room I would already have one.

Offline hunting-bum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:55 PM »
I am also looking at the sport/speed ones because I live about 5 miles from where k fish and can hop on the road and be fishing in minutes. Really like the idea of not having to load up the trailer every time I go fishing.

I am planning on getting a set of radials for pavement/ice usage.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2018, 04:56 AM »
Not trail legal, but if I was to buy another side x side for all round use it would be the Can Am Commander XT 1000. A bit more utility minded machine that still delivers 92hp for when you want to go fast. The tilting cargo bed & massive storage compartment under that bed could be put to good use. Factory equipped with 4500lb winch, heavy duty front bumper, mudguards & bedrails. I often think I would rather have one of these instead of my Maverick.....Good luck in your search !!

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side-by-side/commander/commander-xt.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.