The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing line for northern pike  (Read 1636 times)

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice fishing line for northern pike
« on: Nov 17, 2018, 03:04 PM »
So I think I need to change up my tip-up line for northerns to something better. What kind of line do you guys use on your tip-ups when targeting northerns? Preferably at least 40lb test. I would use my 80lb Spiderwire but it freezes and slices gloves/hands. I have 40lb dacron but its too thick of diameter and my spools only hold about 25 yards of it. I might just have to buy larger spools if it comes to it.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing line for northern pike
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2018, 10:33 PM »
I've always used Beaver Dam line...I think Scheels only carries it up to 30 lb test though, I believe. I've never had an issue with it, although I've only pulled in some mid-teens pike with it.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2018, 11:39 PM »
I think you may need a bigger set of traps or larger arbor spool. You don’t want to hand line braid intended for gear.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2018, 01:04 AM »
Why at least 40lb? No pike is breaking 20-30 pound Dacron. It’s also thinner so you can hold more on the spool but still thick enough to not cut the p#*s out of your hands if you’re not wearing gloves. I use 20-30lb Mason. It works nicely, IMO.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2018, 06:11 AM »
If I hadn't already put on new line for this season, I might have gone with something like this:

http://www.masontackle.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=47
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2018, 09:03 PM »
I use the HT Icerigger with some improvements so I can play in fish with a rod and reel.  I use 30 pound braided line on the level-wind trolling reels and spinning reels which I use in both the winter and the summer.  Click on the thumbnails to enlarge them.

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply's guys. Couldn't log in on here till now otherwise I would ever replied sooner. Seems like I'm probably just going to get bigger spools. Want to stick with the 40lb+ cuz I get into some good sized pike and have had lighter line break.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.