The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best Spring Bobber Set up???  (Read 2247 times)

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Spring Bobber Set up???
« on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:18 PM »
That's it what do ya got????

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Best Spring Bobber Set up???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:20 PM »
New rod, don't need them anymore;)

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:59 PM »
I personally like the ones on the st Croix legend rods, I have found out how to put them on my other rods, just havnt done it yet,  :P
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:06 PM »
i have been using the ones that are a thin flat peice of metal with an eyelet on the end they are about five or six inches long i cant remeber who makes them maybe HT

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:09 PM »
Marmish springs are the best out there.... well worth the effort to make them work on a regular rod. I don't care if the rod is spun from rays of sunshine cast from the hand of GOD, my crappie rod WILL have a Marmish spring on it. I've seen just about everything go through my shack in the hands of the guy next to me and nothing else does a better job for any price.

Yes, I really like them that much.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:39 PM »
St. Criox or Thorne Bros trip wire
Live Free Or Die.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:24 PM »
Marmish springs are the best out there.... well worth the effort to make them work on a regular rod. I don't care if the rod is spun from rays of sunshine cast from the hand of GOD, my crappie rod WILL have a Marmish spring on it. I've seen just about everything go through my shack in the hands of the guy next to me and nothing else does a better job for any price.

Yes, I really like them that much.
Looked them up what size do you use? If a guy puts a 1/8 or 1/4 oz pimple hali ect. will they take it. We spend alot of time out here chasing perch in 40 plus feet of water so we usually have to put some weight on to get down. And how about taking the tip off your rods, not sure on doing that. do they just slip on and its a friction fit?

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:03 AM »
http://www.actiontackleproducts.com/abi.html

I use these, the only issue I have had is that they only last a season for me and then will come apart where the wire and the piece that goes around rod tip are glued. I have re glued them and are OK. Also I wrap tape around them and the rod to hold in place better.

Personely I like these the best of what I have tried.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:14 AM »
St. Croix in my opinion, although have heard good reports on teeter pig!

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:09 PM »
I have some of the Marmooska flat metal spring bobbers made by HT.  I've recently started using the Frabill Titanium Spring Bobber and really like it.

I really don't care for those spring bobbers that are literal springs that you thread line through because of the way the freeze up.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Looked them up what size do you use? If a guy puts a 1/8 or 1/4 oz pimple hali ect. will they take it. We spend alot of time out here chasing perch in 40 plus feet of water so we usually have to put some weight on to get down. And how about taking the tip off your rods, not sure on doing that. do they just slip on and its a friction fit?

If I am fishing anything even remotely that big, I don't use a spring. That's walleye gear in these parts....

Spring bobbers loose their usefulness when the jig gets much over 1/32 oz, or at least I think so. Anything that will grab onto a 1/4 oz spoon will usually let you know about it without a doubt that it is there. I generally don't use a spring at all on perch at all, more for sunfish and crappies.

You can split the rubber part of the Marmish spring with a razor blade so it will snap over the rod tip... it's not really made as an aftermarket part. You can make it work though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.