Author Topic: Underwater Camera rookie here  (Read 2870 times)

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
Underwater Camera rookie here
« on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:05 PM »
I'm looking to buy an underwater camera to add to my ice fishing arsenal.  My budget is no more than $600.  What are some of your guys' real world experiences?  What are some options that are a must-have?  What are the options that I won't ever need.  I will typically never fish anything deeper than 50'.  I would like to save good footage to download at a later time. Which company has the best customer service/warranty?  I currently am using a Marcum LX-5 flasher

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Underwater Camera rookie here
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:23 PM »
I recommend this one from Vexilar :

https://shop.vexilar.com/en/underwater-cameras-2/fish-scout-colorb-w-underwater-camera-wcase-fs800

this is a DVR you can add to it to record what the camera is seeing. takes both video and still pics :

https://shop.vexilar.com/en/underwater-cameras-2/digital-video-recorder-wremote--dvr100

this is a reconditioned camera that you can save $50.00 off the price of a new one. their reconditioned units come with the same warranty as the new ones. they are normally just store returns or demo models that some of the pro's use then return them back to Vexilar. they are gone over completely and anything that needs fixing or replacing is replaced then the price is set to reflect this. it is basic a new unit after they go over it but can't sell it as new.

https://shop.vexilar.com/en/reconditioned-products-1/reconditioned-fish-scout-colorb-w-underwater-camera-wcase-fs800-r
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2019, 01:53 PM »
If getting good recorded video footage is important to you, then you're going to want an HDMI output on the camera, this limits you to the top-of-the-line units from Marcum and Aquaview and then you can use an external video capture device.  You could also go with a Marcum LX-9 but it's a pita to pull that micro sd card all the time and it's out of your budget.

Another option is to find an old analog video recorder device and use the video-out port on the Marcum cameras.

The Recon5+ recorded video format sucks and looks like "Walleye Vision" when played back.

I'm not familiar with the AquaView Micro formats?

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:43 PM »
I'm not familiar with the AquaView Micro formats?

The AV Micro formats are good:

I debated between the two last year and went with the Aqua Vu Micro Revolution 5.0 Pro. I've been very happy with the Aqua Vu; the reel system makes dropping down the camera and bringing it back up quick and easy and I'm sure I use it more because of that. The biggest issue I had with the Recon 5+ was the strange video codec that they use that makes your video appear stretched/distorted and all but unusable on the computer and youtube. Given that issue and the reel on the aqua vu, it was a no brainer.

Here's some random video I took on the Revolution Pro 5.0:

Here's an awesome video (not mine!) that Aqua Vu shared on Facebook:

The video does look better on the smaller screen than on the computer, but overall, I've been very happy with it. It's fantastic for scouting and I also use it in the summer to verify what species I'm seeing on when I find schools on my fishfinder.

Offline davearnold5511

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2019, 01:48 PM »
I've had several cameras and finally settled on the Aqua Vu HD7i. HDMI output and adjustable display with zoom. Good battery life and their customer service is second to none.

I take friends and children out and they love the large screen so they can all watch. It's also upped my game especially with light biting perch. I hook them before I can even detect a strike.
I've had other no name cameras,  once they flood you are stuck with it, no customer service. I've also had aqua vu micro camera systems and they are nice to dip holes when setting up, but I've got an ATV so I can carry the larger camera anyways.
If you are concerned about weight, the small Aqua Vu micros are the way to go. If not, go big!
I bought my HD7i on eBay, brand new, $500 with free shipping. The deals are out there...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.