Author Topic: Time to think about Ice Fishing Jigs  (Read 3380 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Time to think about Ice Fishing Jigs
« on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:45 AM »
OK!  My October days are spent chasing Pike and Bass, BUT my evening are spent watching ice fishing videos. 
One recent  NH video showed a NH guide fishing for panfish.  His big recommendation was to use Clam's Epoxy Jigs?   OK!   I'm a sucker for new jigs.  BUT!  A quick search informed me that one of these Epoxy Jigs might cost me  $4 - $8 each!   I've always had great luck with my  Chekai jigs at $2 each.   Anyone have any experience with Epoxy Jigs?
I'm happy with tungsten jigs and Maki plastics or maggots and wax worms.  My wife is always over my shoulder when she notices naked women or ice fishing stuff on my screen!
I plan to order my jigs and bait before the prices go up in December but  I want to keep it in line with my retirement income.
Any opinions or suggestions?
Dick

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Time to think about Ice Fishing Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:54 AM »
I really like the wolfram jigs from yourbobbersdown.com. They are the go to for many people on this site. They are a little pricy, but the nice thing about these jig is that they last a long time, so consider them an investment. Super sticky hooks and the paint on them is very good. Good luck with your search!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2017, 08:49 PM »
I've had many clam epoxy jigs break on me which have led to losing fish and the paint doesn't last. Overall not a well made product for the money in my opinion. I wouldn't waste my money on clam jigs.
  I've changed over to the wolfram jigs and they are great I've caught bass, many trout species and pan fish galore. Throw some little plastic on them and you're good to go
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:15 PM »
OK!  My October days are spent chasing Pike and Bass, BUT my evening are spent watching ice fishing videos. 
One recent  NH video showed a NH guide fishing for panfish.  His big recommendation was to use Clam's Epoxy Jigs?   OK!   I'm a sucker for new jigs.  BUT!  A quick search informed me that one of these Epoxy Jigs might cost me  $4 - $8 each!   I've always had great luck with my  Chekai jigs at $2 each.   Anyone have any experience with Epoxy Jigs?
I'm happy with tungsten jigs and Maki plastics or maggots and wax worms.  My wife is always over my shoulder when she notices naked women or ice fishing stuff on my screen!
I plan to order my jigs and bait before the prices go up in December but  I want to keep it in line with my retirement income.
Any opinions or suggestions?
Dick

I've found the clam company to have become over priced and lower quality on stuff in recent years......seems like having the clam name on it means your suppose to pay up for it. A lot of the lures are fine, but seem to cost 2x what they should to similar lures. I found on the smaller panfish jigs, the hooks tend to be very poor quality and after a few fish bend really easy then break off leaving you with a hookless jig. The only reason I have any clam lures is most were Christmas presents.

Offline upstateice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:16 PM »
I have had a problem with some of the hooks on Wolfram jigs straightening after hitting bluegills. Love the size and weight

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2017, 08:17 AM »
I'm going to order some of the Wolfram jigs and compare them to the Chekai jigs that I already have.  Amazed at the variety of colors for the Wolfram jigs!
Dick

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation on wolfram. They seem pretty reasonable, and I have had similar experiences with the clam epoxy drops. They do fish well, and I picked up a bunch of the clams last year when they had a buy 2 get one free sale for Black Friday.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2017, 06:41 PM »
Has anyone ever used Bentley tungsten jigs? 
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Cw1036

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2017, 06:53 PM »
I’ve been thinking. To the tune of $200 in the last month. I feel in love with the hole through Akara tungsten last winter. Also got a few with my plastics from Get Bitten Tackle.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2017, 06:55 PM »
Bentley’s are very good, sticky sharp and pricey also

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2017, 06:56 PM »
I've had many clam epoxy jigs break on me which have led to losing fish and the paint doesn't last. Overall not a well made product for the money in my opinion. I wouldn't waste my money on clam jigs.
  I've changed over to the wolfram jigs and they are great I've caught bass, many trout species and pan fish galore. Throw some little plastic on them and you're good to go

Bought the epoxy jigs from sportsmensdirect.com..  I think its more or less the epoxy or some thing along those lines..  cause my paint did not stay put either..  I even got a few with a red jewel and silver crystal none stayed on.. the gills loved these jigs though.. swirl paint finish got knocked to snot like you said.. maybe it is just the epoxy paint they are using??

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Better order NOW! If you wait into November the best places get backed up and won't be able to fill until after the first of the year (or later).

You get (pretty much) what you pay for. Cheap tungsten filled epoxy won't hold paint and will come apart just totin' 'em in your box loose. Sure, you can pay too much for a name but that kind of stuff gets around pretty fast.

My shopping is all done for the season. I ordered in July/August. Fast shipping, full selection, no worries!  @)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2017, 08:24 PM »

Bought the epoxy jigs from sportsmensdirect.com..  I think its more or less the epoxy or some thing along those lines..  cause my paint did not stay put either..  I even got a few with a red jewel and silver crystal none stayed on.. the gills loved these jigs though.. swirl paint finish got knocked to snot like you said.. maybe it is just the epoxy paint they are using??

Yeah I had a couple of the bedazzled ones they popped out pretty quickly and the epoxy would chunk off. I think its the epoxy too. The clam spoons are fine haven't had any issues with those.  But for the money I'd like to get atleast a full season out of them.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2017, 08:41 PM »
I've found the clam company to have become over priced and lower quality on stuff in recent years......seems like having the clam name on it means your suppose to pay up for it. A lot of the lures are fine, but seem to cost 2x what they should to similar lures.

I've noticed that also.  I don't mind paying for something but it should be worth the price and with prices of $4 to $8 they should be bullet proof.  I like the look of them but I'm not going to pay that kind of money for something that doesn't last.    What's the drop rate of epoxy jigs compared to lead and tungsten?

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2017, 10:43 PM »
It's hard to beat chekais for 2 bucks. I've had really good luck with clown color.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2017, 10:59 PM »
I like my Fiskas. I have some going on 5 seasons old that are still like new. Strong, sharp hooks and durable finishes. Large selection. I have about 50-60 of them in different sizes. The epoxies glow better than the hand-painted but that's not an issue for me. I've never had a hook break or paint wear down.

Now, if you're fishing them under a float in a river and smack a rock good, the paint will chip but I expect that and deal with it accordingly.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2017, 01:25 AM »
T"n"t ice jigs has some on face book that might be worth looking in to?? The wonder bread jig looks awesome! very limited sales I think they rage form 40 to 80 bucks depending what assortments he has on hand check them out see what you think?? He does not take orders but sells a lathe assortment cause it is easier to paint 100's of one at once then to paint one color and 3 of it .. any how if you would like a link I can find one let me know..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2017, 07:42 AM »
@ chilly: If you're even thinking about TNT you better pull the trigger. Last week may not have been too soon. I ordered last year end of November and didn't see the jigs until end of February (maybe it was March).

No knock on TNT. It's basically a couple of guys doing this in their "spare time" while working regular jobs. I know last year got crazy for them and they never really got caught up until well after even late season. Jig and paint quality looks great but I never got a chance to get one wet. I'm ready now!

Don't think, jump!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2017, 07:29 PM »
@ chilly: If you're even thinking about TNT you better pull the trigger. Last week may not have been too soon. I ordered last year end of November and didn't see the jigs until end of February (maybe it was March).

No knock on TNT. It's basically a couple of guys doing this in their "spare time" while working regular jobs. I know last year got crazy for them and they never really got caught up until well after even late season. Jig and paint quality looks great but I never got a cancelation to get one wet. I'm ready now!

Don't think, jump!

Been trying to catch them my self..  bUT always are out by the time I hear about it ..

There not taking orders there making sets this year that are for sale and you do get better verity I see then ordering 50 of one color??  Or 3 or 4 dz of same color etc..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 08, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Hmmm. That's interesting. Last year you could still order ala carte and I think that was one of the problems. Maybe a group buy to get the colors you want and spread 'em out might work.

I ordered a 2nd round that this cat ordered in 2 sizes:

Got this picture from TNT jigs today of my order. Order and review should be here shortly. These things look awesome!

If you click on the "Quote link" it will take you to the original thread.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 08, 2017, 08:22 PM »
I got some of the TNT jigs early last year. Some work well, and some... well the paint was literally falling off of them out of the package! Messaged back and forth with them and they agreed to replace them. Well, they ended up not replying anymore, and seems like I'm just out of what I paid for half of them. At least they were only $1 apiece and I can try to paint the bad ones myself!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 09, 2017, 08:17 AM »
OK!  I think we can now agree that you get what you pay for?  BUT!  I would never pay $4 for a jig (even if it sported a genuine Swarovski jewel).   Neither would I invest a box of 100 jigs.   I have a dozen jigs for walleye and 30 small tungsten jigs for panfish.   
I do have three super colorful big lake bucktails that YoAdrien gave me a decade ago.
Most of our north country water contain pike and there is always the risk of a toothy cutoff while jigging for perch or crappie!  Annually I put more money into maggots and wax worms than jigs?
Dick

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #22 on: Oct 09, 2017, 10:00 AM »

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2017, 03:09 PM »
3300,  Good discussion.  Never occurred to me that there might be different weights for the same size tungsten jigs because of less tungsten and more paint or epoxy?
I've never spent more than $50 on a years jigs?  OK!   I just ordered $56 worth of jigs from FishUSA because they offered free shipping for orders over $50.  I couldn't resist the new Wonder Bread jigs??
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.