Author Topic: Propane and Buddy Heaters. Best options.  (Read 8452 times)

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Propane and Buddy Heaters. Best options.
« Reply #60 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:59 PM »
That would mean whoever filled it put 5.94 lbs. of propane in it (or at least charged you for 5.94 lbs).  1.4 gallons X 4.24 lbs. per gallon = 5.94 lbs.  A 5 lb. cylinder should only hold about 4 lbs or just less than a gallon of propane before the OPD kicks on.  At least that's my understanding...

DN

My understanding, too.

My local propane dealer measures very exactly but the per gallon price is much better at the farm and ranch store.  However, measurement is less of a science at the farm store - sometimes to customers' advantage but often not.

Is it possible you have a situation like the latter case?  I tried to explain once that they charged me for an amount physically impossible to get into the cylinder but it was a lost cause.

1.4 includes a significant overage, relatively speaking but maybe $1 in absolute terms.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:28 PM »
That would mean whoever filled it put 5.94 lbs. of propane in it (or at least charged you for 5.94 lbs).  1.4 gallons X 4.24 lbs. per gallon = 5.94 lbs.  A 5 lb. cylinder should only hold about 4 lbs or just less than a gallon of propane before the OPD kicks on.  At least that's my understanding...

DN

I watched; the gauge was set to zero and showed 1.4 gallons when the OPD kicked in. I have no clue

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:41 PM »
I watched; the gauge was set to zero and showed 1.4 gallons when the OPD kicked in. I have no clue

Put the whole tank on your bathroom(or other)scale and subtract the TW (tare weight) stamped on the tank (most are 11 lbs.) from the total weight of the tank on your scale.  That is how many pounds of propane are in it, then divide by 4.24 to get the gallons equivalent.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #63 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:05 PM »

DN

No a 5 Lb tank should hold 5 Lbs of propane a 20 Lb tank should hold 20 Lbs of propane. The tanks are made to be filled to 80% and hold the full amount. The exchange places rip you off, Blue Rino etc. they give you a exchange 20# tank with only 15 - 17 Lbs in it. Also when you refill a tank say a 20# tank, the tank is not always totally empty but they will still charge you for 20# even if it only takes 18 or 19 #  They are in business to make money.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:03 PM »

I've seen setups where I was convinced that I also paid to fill the dispensing hose, which was purged into the air after the fill...

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:08 PM »
I've seen setups where I was convinced that I also paid to fill the dispensing hose, which was purged into the air after the fill...

Aha! That explains some of it. I didn't think of that.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:23 PM »
No a 5 Lb tank should hold 5 Lbs of propane a 20 Lb tank should hold 20 Lbs of propane. The tanks are made to be filled to 80% and hold the full amount. The exchange places rip you off, Blue Rino etc. they give you a exchange 20# tank with only 15 - 17 Lbs in it. Also when you refill a tank say a 20# tank, the tank is not always totally empty but they will still charge you for 20# even if it only takes 18 or 19 #  They are in business to make money.

I’m not going to argue because eriksat1 may very well be correct.  There’s a lot of bad information about propane and tanks that gets passed around here as gospel so I’m deferring.  That still doesn’t explain Kayl getting charged for almost 6 lbs. when the cylinder only holds 5 max if eriksat1 is correct!  Put that thing on a scale kayl!

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:41 PM »
I’m not going to argue because eriksat1 may very well be correct.  There’s a lot of bad information about propane and tanks that gets passed around here as gospel so I’m deferring.  That still doesn’t explain Kayl getting charged for almost 6 lbs. when the cylinder only holds 5 max if eriksat1 is correct!  Put that thing on a scale kayl!

DN

Bathroom scale says 15#, fishing scale says about 14.5#. Tare weight is 8.8#.

So assuming my fishing scale is more accurate, 5.7# of propane or 1.34 gallons.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:47 PM »

OK now you have my attention.  What is the manufacturer of the cylinder?  The exact model?

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:56 PM »
OK now you have my attention.  What is the manufacturer of the cylinder?  The exact model?

Flame King Steel 5-lb Propane Cylinder at Menards https://www.menards.com/main/p-1491546053483.htm

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Flame King YSN5LB 5lb Tank Propane Cylinder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BLDL7T/

A review here mentions that it takes 1.7-1.9 each time he's had it filled. Another person says it took 1.2 gallons for him.

Flame King does say in a response to a question that it should weigh about 13# when full.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:27 PM »

Im going to have tell the wife that bathroom scales arent accurate  ;D and then try and sell the idea that we need to invest in a better fishing scale when her spirits are high    :roflmao:
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Smelt 63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Save sume for seed
« Reply #72 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Flame King Steel 5-lb Propane Cylinder at Menards https://www.menards.com/main/p-1491546053483.htm
    You are right. But you can use any 20# thank to refill the one# thanks Flame Kings. The Coleman bottles when you refill them yes it is hard to get them 100% full. Might be some gas left ore Your 20# fill thank might not be completely full. So it will be up & down a little. and you might hear people pulling the relief valve out when filling it, but you can over fill it, and if you don't use it and go into summer the warm weather could build pressure and blow. So you have to think what you want to do. I use the 1# Flame Kings  when ice fishing and on camping trips in my boat. But most of the time I use the 11# & 20# thanks all year around. Cheaper to fill. You guys are right. The 20# tank 11# tank 5/30# thanks means that's how many pounds of gas go's in the thank. So try and use all the gas be for you fill. And most places will charged you for that size of thank.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:59 PM »
OK I feel better.

No info at flameking.com, but Menards says the thing has a 1.2 gallon capacity.

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/propane-tanks/steel-5-lb-propane-cylinder/ysn5lb/p-1491546053483.htm

As opposed to the Worthington "4.25", which has a stated capacity of 1 gallon

https://worthingtonindustries.com/getmedia/d09f0a8d-bdb2-4bf5-b212-cb5355b27676/Steel-Aluminum-Portables.pdf?ext=.pdf

Hey, what do you know?  My Manchester should apparently hold 1.2 gal also:

http://www.mantank.com/upl/downloads/industry-solutions/reference/manchester-tank-s-dot-catalog-c64d5281.pdf

My math says you should max out full at a hair under 14#.  My tare weight is 10 lbs so I should go to 15.1#

The OPD might be mounted a bit high or something, but now I think you're OK.

IMO

Thanks for the fun.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #74 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:30 PM »

Let me explain what happened;
By your statement the location that filled your cylinder did so illegally.
All DOT Cylinders must be filled on a certified scale by weight inorder to be transported in commerce and to ensure they are not overfilled
By the propane provider waiting till the OPD stopped the filling process they filled it by volume (can not be transported) and over filled your cylinder potentially damaging it and placing you in danger.
Propane shrinks/expands by 1% of its volume for every 6 degrees of temperature change (Fahrenheit) with 60 degrees consider it stable point

Your 5# cyl probably has a WC of 11.9.
WC stands for the max capacity in pounds of water the cylinder will hold at 60 degrees
A gallon on water weighs 8.34 pounds.

11.9 dived by 8.34 = 1.426 gallons
Meaning if it was at 60f your cylinder is 99% full
Take this all into consideration and I presume the temperature when the cylinder was filled had to be close to 0 inorder for a properly functioning OPD valve to allow the cylinder to take almost an extra 20% of its allowable capacity
Now The real problem arises if you put the cylinder somewhere warm and the propane expands.
If that location is 60f or warmer, the cylinder will become hydrostatically full and will start venting out the relief valve which dramatically increases the risk factors
Please make sure it’s not inside your house, garage or car!

Or you can hope the location that filled your cylinder is crooked and has their meter set to “steal” gallons and it displays more then it actually pumps.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:02 PM »
Thanks for the info gasman. From some web searching I think the WC is 13. I bought the tank this morning and it stayed in my Suv while I ran errands, so it had cooled down somewhat when I had it filled.

Regardless, the tank will stay in my unattached unheated garage until I use it sometime this week or next and I'll take it elsewhere to refill it.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:46 PM »
Did not know water colum was measured this way??  though they used a water manometer??  As in inches of water colum entering your heater  and exiting the gas valve or meetering devices.. some gasses when above certin water colum will not combust  gases like natural gas that use 3.5 inches of water colum to combust. can't cumbust at 27 psi etc this is the same natural gas that enters homes threw gas companies lines.. but propane normally is 14 inches of water colum out of the home furance gas vavles..

As in this video..

https://youtu.be/D_Jn-m_MvEk

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 23, 2019, 01:53 AM »
I found these helpful calculations on In-Depth Outdoors while doing research, so I figured I'd share them here.
All credit to gotalunker at IDO. Original thread is here: https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/propane-usage-estimators-for-little-buddy-and-big-buddy-heaters/

4000 = Low on Buddy heater 9000 = High on Buddy, Low on Big Buddy 18000 = High on Big Buddy

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with a 5# one after looking at the calculations. I am not far from a U-Haul that sells by the gallon and the smaller size and weight seem to outweigh the benefits of the shorter pancake 11# tank.

Thanks kyal I found that chart to be very correct  and help full but don't forget when your below 20*f you should use a bigger tank..   buddy heater suggest a 20lb tank this is cause at 60*f..  a tank will let the gas in it evaporate into a gas .. but at below 20%the gas burn times can vary.. cause it did not fully evaporate so your pulling more of a liquid then a gas below 20*f.. this is why I don't know why people stick there propane cyLinder out side the shanty while the buddy heaters is inside ?? This cause more liquid propane  to be used..  they even say this in the buddy heater manual found under documents at this Web site..  might have to down load it but it's on page two of the manual..  also very similar burn times for propane said in chart above..

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/heaters/gas-garage-heaters/mr-heater-reg-big-buddy-18-000-btu-portable-propane-heater/f274800/p-1444441205234.htm

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #78 on: Jan 23, 2019, 05:04 AM »
Did not know water colum was measured this way??  though they used a water manometer??  As in inches of water colum entering your heater  and exiting the gas valve or meetering devices.. some gasses when above certin water colum will not combust  gases like natural gas that use 3.5 inches of water colum to combust. can't cumbust at 27 psi etc this is the same natural gas that enters homes threw gas companies lines.. but propane normally is 14 inches of water colum out of the home furance gas vavles..

As in this video..

https://youtu.be/D_Jn-m_MvEk
You are confusing “Water Capacity”
with the pressure measurement of “Water Column”.
Most  propane systems run on less than 14inches of water column which is around 1/2 PSI
Propane Limits of Flammability - The lower and upper limits of flammability are the percentages of propane that must be present in an propane/air mixture. This means that between 2.15 and 9.6% of the total propane/air mixture must be propane in order for it to be combustible. If the mixture is 2% propane and 98% air, there will not be combustion. If the mixture 10% propane and 90% air, combustion will not occur. Any percentage of propane in a propane/air mixture between 2.15% and 9.6% will be sufficient for propane to burn. However, an improper air/gas mixture can produce Carbon Monoxide (CO) that is a deadly product of incomplete combustion.
A sign of Carbon Monoxide is excess water vapor!

I better stop before I get chastised for hijacking a post again or being a know it all🙄😉

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 23, 2019, 09:15 AM »
Nope did not confuse it some one fixed there post I assume it was a auto correct issue ?? Or brain fart as in some thing crossed up??  that's why I said I never seen water colum measured this way?? Same explanation as water capacity but instead of useing words  "water capacity"  they used the words water colum to explain water capacity  .. guessing a typo cause it was corrected already .. as you can see why I did not quote them to be a jerk..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.