Author Topic: Best Chair for ice fishing  (Read 20460 times)

Offline Brozy21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best Chair for ice fishing
« Reply #30 on: Oct 04, 2018, 01:33 PM »
I had a couple of Eskimo 3 legged folding chairs the last couple of years and give them a big thumbs down, very uncomfortable. I will be watching this thread.

I have a 3-legged XL Eskimo and I love it.  Easy to get out of and I'm a bigger guy so it's nice to have room to sit with my legs split.  I do have the Eskimo XL chair, which is much larger than the original. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #31 on: Oct 04, 2018, 01:45 PM »
the three legged chairs ive tried bust my balls all day.jmo.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 04, 2018, 02:36 PM »

Not all of us have stones like a bison Jay.  :woot: :roflmao:

DN  :whistle:
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #33 on: Oct 04, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Not all of us have stones like a bison Jay.  :woot: :roflmao:

DN  :whistle:
haha must be why my striker suit crotches keep ripping out..🤔

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #34 on: Oct 04, 2018, 02:53 PM »
 :roflmao: lol, three legged chairs...who need one?  My nickname is TRIPOD!!   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 04, 2018, 04:27 PM »

Have you tried the Eskimo XL version?

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline No Fish Caught Again

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Oct 04, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Strongback (not cheap nor light) makes a chair with good support, not sure how it would work ice fishing.  I like the old aluminum folding chairs for summer time.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 04, 2018, 08:40 PM »

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Oct 05, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Have you tried the Eskimo XL version?

(Image removed from quote.)
I have not, but its a  similar design to the ball breaking chairs ive used.i just dont like the design of these.i lean forward a lot during a  days fishing and the three legged chairs I used sucked.im sticking with the harbor freight directors chair.my 3 legged chairs maybe to small tho.im 6ft 2 and around 290 lbs.

Offline Big_Al

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Oct 05, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Cool, just know that the shooting arm and Primos trigger stick mono-pod DO NOT come with the chair as pictured.  The shooting arm is like another $45 and the Primos Short Trigger Stick is $60ish when I bought them.  It makes for a VERY EXPENSIVE shooting chair.  I purchased the whole kit & caboodle for the Ravin x-bow I bought a couple of month ago.

DN

I have separate bog pod tripod sticks that I was planning on using. I may look into the chair rest if I'm not happy with the current set-up. I plan on using the chair to replace the bucket I sat on when deer hunting in Potter County. I'm a little nervous that I'll need sherpa to help lug all my hunting junk up the mountainside in the pitch dark!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 05, 2018, 08:00 AM »

Yup---I always refer to them as ball buster chairs!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:30 PM »
It seems the more comfortable the chair, the less 'fishable' it is....In otherwords, I dont like to be sitting too low, so I can get in and out easier.  I like to be leaning up to my hole, so I can watch rod tip and sonar, etc....This is why I continue to plop my posterior on a bucket...I actually have a bucket in a bucket to give it a little more height......but I'll be watching this thread as well for that perfect chair....there has to be one our there somewhere.

Me too! For years I used a 5 gallon with a padded swivel seat but always wished it was a bit higher. Last year I tried a 7 gallon and it was too high. Today, at my local Scheels, I bought  a 6 gallon and I think it's going to be just right!

Offline 6x6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:34 PM »
Harbor Freight dirctor’s chair for me.  Live that thing

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Oct 12, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Yup---I always refer to them as ball buster chairs!

X2!

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Oct 13, 2018, 06:55 AM »
Harbor Freight dirctor’s chair for me.  Live that thing
yep. also , if you get a 20 % off coupon, its only 20 bucks.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Oct 13, 2018, 09:28 AM »
For anyone looking for the least expensive directors chair I have seen, I was walking through Walmart when I saw an "Ozark Trail" directors chair for under $17. Can't speak on the quality, just a cheap option.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Oct 14, 2018, 09:27 PM »
It's the harbor freight green directors chair for me too. Its extremely light, but also comfy...does not sag so you don't sink into it and is easy to get in/out quickly. The attached fold up little table is handy too.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #48 on: Jan 02, 2019, 05:35 PM »
a 6 gallon is my choice easy to up from as well..higher than a 5 gallon..
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 02, 2019, 07:15 PM »
The Millennium G100 pulls double duty as my hunting blind chair and my ice chair.  Yep, it's expensive, but very comfy, fully adjustable legs, and being an all aluminum frame, weighs only 7 lbs.  The tri-pod leg assembly detaches and is stowed in a pouch under the seat for transport and has a sling for carrying over the shoulder if needed.  Read the reviews.  It's a very well made, very nice chair.

https://www.amazon.com/Millennium-Treestands-G-100-Blind-Chair/dp/B00HEQOTV4/ref=pd_ybh_a_22?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J3RG4K39274DH0VEGE03

DN

I agree I have this chair and its the best.  I don't go on the ice without mine.  Can sit all day with ease

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:04 PM »
Light is nice, but if you are not in a shelter and you stand up and aren't careful, it could be 500 yards down the ice in only minutes.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:53 PM »
This is the best chair I have used yet. I have tried Coleman camp chairs, 6 gallon buckets and Eskimo three-legged chairs. The Coleman is most comfortable, but pretty useless for ice fishing, because you lean too far back into the chair. The Eskimo is pretty much worthless. The bucket is good for short periods of time.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 03, 2019, 07:38 AM »
I use my Coleman for ice fishing but find the major drawback is that, when I stand up, any small wind will blow the back unto the seat. At least, unlike the milking stools, it's not a ball buster!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:03 AM »
In the interest of simplicity I tried a 3-legged stool some years ago. Picture about 6" of crusty snow on top of the ice. At one point I twisted around to pick up my ice skimmer, lost my balance and went over backwards, waving arms and legs, into that hard snow. Already limited by a heavy parka and bibs, I  was like a turtle on his back. I simply could not extricate myself from that snow bowl I'd created, couldn't roll onto my side and then onto my knees. Finally had to use my legs to kick and push myself up and out that bowl so I could roll over and get vertical again. There were a couple of guys fishing about fifty yards away who got to witness some cheap theater. The 3-legged stool found a new home at Goodwill.

They are even worse on glare ice...  I have a couple in my sled but never use them.  I just stick with my bucket...  although  I am now considering grabbing one of those director chairs for a little more comfort and back support.

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Offline OntarioRider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:11 AM »
I use one of these. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/woods-foam-padded-oversized-chair-0765547p.html#srp
Heavy duty for my bulk and wide enough when I have all my gear on.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:23 AM »
This is the best chair I have used yet. I have tried Coleman camp chairs, 6 gallon buckets and Eskimo three-legged chairs. The Coleman is most comfortable, but pretty useless for ice fishing, because you lean too far back into the chair. The Eskimo is pretty much worthless. The bucket is good for short periods of time.

I have the same chair(different brand).  Love this thing.  It doesn't fold up very small, but is great for hole hopping.  Just fold down the backrest, grab the shoulder strap and off you go.  When you set it back down, it opens right up.  Fold the backrest back up and start fishing. 
Best part is the cooler underneath.  Great for holding your catch or your favorite adult beverage.  Can fit over a 12 pack.....just sayin! ;)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #56 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:32 AM »
I hate the 3 legged ball busters as well. I just bought a Trophy Angler Stadium style directors chair and love it so far. I think I paid about $25 at L&M Fleet Supply. Very comfortable and nice back support.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:15 AM »
 I spear a lot, and i hate to say it, my 7 gal bucket is the best set I have had. I refuse the 3 legged cow milkers, and most of the others , you sink in and cannot see the hole

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:31 AM »
After switching out chair after chair I went back to the 3 legged Cabela's chairs I bought years ago. They are lite weight which is a must for us older guys and easy to carry in the sled. So the best chair is the easiest to carry and lightest.
<===Lefty===

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:49 AM »
I like using plain old metal folding chairs, the padded ones are a bonus.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.