Author Topic: Fish mounts  (Read 6880 times)

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Fish mounts
« Reply #60 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:28 PM »
I had one done years ago of a 8lb walleye caught through the ice. I like it, but don't like keeping the big fish like that. Caught another, slightly bigger a few years later and let it go.  :tipup:

This past summer the wife caught a 9lb walleye and we took pictures of her holding it, the measurements and her letting it go. Then I had the picture of her holding it, with the measurements and release inset in the bottom and blew it up to poster size and framed it. Looks as good as a mount and that fish is still in the lake makin more!  ;D

I'll update this with pics when I get home.

EDIT: Here's a pic

-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline wingnut19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:55 AM »
I remember my uncle had 7 or 8 perch mounted and they were hanging from a stringer, always thought that was pretty cool.

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:52 AM »
I had an 8lb walleye done a few years ago... not the biggest Walleye in the world, but definately large for the area I fish in... glad I had it done, its a good memory

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:34 AM »
I am in the process of getting a 14 inch perch done will post pics when i get him home. ;D

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:47 AM »
Its definitely up to you what size it would take to mount. For me, I set goals. When I was younger I said that I would mount the first 5lb. Largemouth that I caught...and my first big one was 5 1/2 and she is on the wall. A few years ago I caught a big girl that weighed 8 1/2 lbs. but rather than kill her, I weighed her, took measurements, and had a repo. done. My next big goal is a 50" musky. And when I catch her, I will have another repo. done. One night several years ago, by best friend and I had a great night one the ice. We got into some great 'gills and I took 7 of them and had a stringer mount done. They are all 9"+ gills, and for me it is a reminder of a great night with a great friend as much as anything. I disagree with what some of the guys said in that not many people mount panfish. A couple of my best friends are local taxidermists and they do LOTS of bluegill, crappie and perch. Below is the stringer mount I had done...and remember that any mount is beautiful if it reminds you of a special day. Just choose your taxidermist carefully...mounting fish is truly an art.

Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:51 AM »
I definately wanna get a panfish mount done and pike, brown, largemouth, smallmouth, and maybe if someday I get a nice walleye, oh ya and a steelie hahah.... I will keep dreamin... Pan fish look nice on the wall I think tho
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Its definitely up to you what size it would take to mount. For me, I set goals. When I was younger I said that I would mount the first 5lb. Largemouth that I caught...and my first big one was 5 1/2 and she is on the wall. A few years ago I caught a big girl that weighed 8 1/2 lbs. but rather than kill her, I weighed her, took measurements, and had a repo. done. My next big goal is a 50" musky. And when I catch her, I will have another repo. done. One night several years ago, by best friend and I had a great night one the ice. We got into some great 'gills and I took 7 of them and had a stringer mount done. They are all 9"+ gills, and for me it is a reminder of a great night with a great friend as much as anything. I disagree with what some of the guys said in that not many people mount panfish. A couple of my best friends are local taxidermists and they do LOTS of bluegill, crappie and perch. Below is the stringer mount I had done...and remember that any mount is beautiful if it reminds you of a special day. Just choose your taxidermist carefully...mounting fish is truly an art.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thats a nice mount do you guys think if i did that with perch it would look good they would all have to be over 11 inchs.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:02 AM »
definately

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:40 AM »
Caught this 42 inch pike back about 1992. My father had a buddy at the time that carved fish out of wood. I have this one hanging in my office at work

It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #69 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:29 PM »
How big was she? That head looks masssive. :tipup:
She is 44in 24.4lbs and she just fit through an 8 in hole ;D

no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
« Reply #70 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:31 PM »
take a look on Google images but the best i think would b a crappie!

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:33 PM »
Roncarr that is a bad @$$ pic haha, take me fishing please, I cant wait to catch a gator like that

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:53 PM »
I had one done years ago of a 8lb walleye caught through the ice. I like it, but don't like keeping the big fish like that. Caught another, slightly bigger a few years later and let it go.  :tipup:

This past summer the wife caught a 9lb walleye and we took pictures of her holding it, the measurements and her letting it go. Then I had the picture of her holding it, with the measurements and release inset in the bottom and blew it up to poster size and framed it. Looks as good as a mount and that fish is still in the lake makin more!  ;D

I'll update this with pics when I get home.
As long as you have the measurements- length x girth, no matter how many years later, if you ever choose to get a replica you can.  Thats the beauty of replicas.  And as I mentioned before, prices have came down from when they were first introduced from $35 an inch to $16-$20 depending on your area. 

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #73 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:46 PM »
That's what I was originally thinking of doing, but the replica price I was quoted was 19.99/in which is 2x what a regular mount costs! This way (previous post updated with a picture) she's got her trophy, it's a little different than a mount and it was a lot cheaper. If I ever get into another big one, I will take pics and do the same. More gas $$ to head out to try and catch another one!  ;D :tipup:
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

ICE REBEL

« Reply #74 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:40 AM »
You can buy fiberglass replicas that look better than 95% of the skin mounts and don't have to feel guilty about kill a nice specimen for your vanities. You can either put the fish you caught back into the gene pool or kill it and eat it!

... or you can get a replica bigger than anything you've ever caught and lie about it until you catch one that big.

To me, a picture of someone holding their catch when it was caught is priceless and speaks volumes more than a mount that might have been picked up at a yard sale or thrift store...
Some kind of sportsman you are!!! Why would you want to lie about something you caught with something that is fake??? Pictures are nice to have but when you have the REAL thing to show your friends and family now that's priceless... I know as for myself i would never buy someone else's mounts from a yard sale or thrift store unless i had my own store or shop and just looking to get mounts on the wall and even then i would would want to find out the history behind it...

Offline fishook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 11, 2012, 07:05 PM »

Thats a nice mount do you guys think if i did that with perch it would look good they would all have to be over 11 inchs.

Stringer mounts of perch are very impressive. To me, seeing them hanging vertically makes them look longer than horizontal. These are huge any way you look. Every one is over 15".                                     

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:11 AM »
I thought getting a fish mounted was for a fish of a lifetime and know you can buy them anywhere.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:10 AM »
I caught a 17in. crappie last fall. A friend i fish with mounted it. He also did the smaller 15in one.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #78 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:42 AM »
nothing wrong with mounting crappie, one on the right was 17, the left was 16 1/4

Offline fishook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 12, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Absolutely crappies make great mounts. They are a challenge to do though because their scales come out so easily during the skinning process. I would really like to make a stringer mount of 5, but I need a couple more to get there.   ;D

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Feb 12, 2012, 02:11 PM »
My supplier has an solution similar to the fish sealer and fin glue that you can brush on the exterior of the crappie to help keep the scales from popping off.  I have tried it and it works but it's an extra step and then you have the cleanup after.  I just take extra caution when skinning them and the only place that can get touch is between the codal and soft dorsal.  But those I can tack down with a spot of Krazy Gel glue that keeps them down just fine. 

Offline jagger_ca

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:35 PM »
My perch mount..

and walleye..

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Those are some hogs jagger! How big are those perch and that walleye?

Offline jagger_ca

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:15 PM »
The smallest perch is just over 12 inches, the walleye is 30 inches and weighed in just under 11 lbs.

Offline team-grey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:00 PM »
nice pics

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:34 PM »
They look alot bigger! Still great fish though. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor