Author Topic: Fish mounts  (Read 6881 times)

Offline smellinfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish mounts
« on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:15 PM »
What size crappie, bluegill, and perch would you say would be worth a wall mount? I am looking to add some scenery to the deer heads on the wall and hopefully get a fox someday and maybe some other critters. I am not looking for my biggest catch ever in the three fish categories although that would be nice but just something to add to the wildlife scenery. I also plan on catching all of my mounts through the ice  :tipup:. Just curious about what you think.

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fish mounts
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:20 PM »
typically u wouldn't mount panfish. A muskie, lake trout or pike are considered trophy fish. I mean I guess you could mount a crappie perch or bluegill but it's not commonly found.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:21 PM »
Nothing smaller than 15 inches. I think a good mount is a Big Brown over 27"
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:25 PM »
If you just want decoration usually you see panfish in 3-6 in one mount. Make sure they are respectable size and try to get a few in it unless you get lucky on a monster. Try a crappie a gill and a perch with a driftwood backround. I've seen some like that, they look cool.

Offline IowaIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:26 PM »
Nothing wrong with mounting a crappie. I was thinking of doing the same thing. 

Offline smellinfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:26 PM »
I agree that panfish arent typically mounted but like I said I'm not really doing it for a trophy mount but just to add to the wildlife scenery. Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:30 PM »
   I would rather have a panfish mount than any other mount .   I have a 11.5" gill mount and just got my 14" 2# perch mount back .
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Use an old chain type stringer and mix bluegills, crappie and perch.... makes for an interesting mount.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:34 PM »
You have some nice mounts there. I have a 25" Rainbow at the taxidermists right now from the spring, and the next will be a 40+ Pike or Musky...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:36 PM »
I kind of want to mount some perch and crappie too

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:43 PM »
You have some nice mounts there. I have a 25" Rainbow at the taxidermists right now from the spring, and the next will be a 40+ Pike or Musky...

You typed that very casually. lol. 40"+ pike are hard to come by. Just giving you a hard time no offense. I have caught only one that measured 42" in all the years I've fished Canada. The next was 39". I hope you get one they are awesome to catch. Good fishing to you.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:57 PM »
What size crappie, bluegill, and perch would you say would be worth a wall mount? I am looking to add some scenery to the deer heads on the wall and hopefully get a fox someday and maybe some other critters. I am not looking for my biggest catch ever in the three fish categories although that would be nice but just something to add to the wildlife scenery. I also plan on catching all of my mounts through the ice  :tipup:. Just curious about what you think.

I think you answered your own question about size. The only person that you have to satisfy / justify regarding size is you. You are going to pay the taxidermy bill so the size needs to be acceptable to you, and only you. A trophy can be a panfish as well as a gamefish. It does not always take a huge fish to make a trophy, there are many things which can make a fish special.  Use your own judgement, and good luck

Offline 85champ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:00 PM »
Im waiting on a 16.5 in perch and a 18in crappie to be mounted right now but i dont have to pay cause my dads a taxidermist but otherwise i probably wouldnt mount a panfish

Offline sdjiggerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:18 PM »
There is a taxidermist in Brookings, SD that does some really cool ice fishing mounts. It's called Top Notch Taxidermy. I know he has a facebook page and a webpage that shows his stuff. They are way better than a fish on a piece of driftwood!
Jig 'em up!

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:30 PM »
There is a taxidermist in Brookings, SD that does some really cool ice fishing mounts. It's called Top Notch Taxidermy. I know he has a facebook page and a webpage that shows his stuff. They are way better than a fish on a piece of driftwood!

Good point. Many mounts are terrible and look very fake. Check the portfollio of any taxidermist first. Be sure they don't ruin a great fish and charge you in the process.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:53 PM »
You typed that very casually. lol. 40"+ pike are hard to come by. Just giving you a hard time no offense. I have caught only one that measured 42" in all the years I've fished Canada. The next was 39". I hope you get one they are awesome to catch. Good fishing to you.

I've caught and seen many caught that measure 40" and over. Just gotta fish the right places ;D ;)

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:00 PM »
I had. 38.5 20lb northern i caught years ago mounted and im glad i did. I caught it on my "secert" river spot when i was 21 just before i joined the Army. Always thought about that fish through my service. Dont hesitate to have a fish mounted it will be well worth it

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:00 PM »
I've caught and seen many caught that measure 40" and over. Just gotta fish the right places ;D ;)

Like Alberta Canada?? :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:05 PM »
typically u wouldn't mount panfish. A muskie, lake trout or pike are considered trophy fish. I mean I guess you could mount a crappie perch or bluegill but it's not commonly found.
Something to think about, a trophy isn't always the biggest and best. I have been doing taxidermy for 31 years and have mounted hundreds of panfish. Perch, gills, crappies, rockbass, what ever the customer wants.  Sometimes it's a child's very first fish and the parents want mounted.  Over the years, I have mounted panfish of all sizes.  Some stringer mounts, some mounted preceding predator fish.  It really all depends on what you decide is worth mounting.  No right or wrong about it that's for sure. I have mounted many crappies that would rival bass some 12-18 inches and even a 21 incher.  So point is, if you feel it's worth mounting and you are putting it on your wall, by all means, knock your socks off.  Not saying anyone is right or wrong in this.  There are no limits on what you want.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Something to think about, a trophy isn't always the biggest and best. I have been doing taxidermy for 31 years and have mounted hundreds of panfish. Perch, gills, crappies, rockbass, what ever the customer wants.  Sometimes it's a child's very first fish and the parents want mounted.  Over the years, I have mounted panfish of all sizes.  Some stringer mounts, some mounted preceding predator fish.  It really all depends on what you decide is worth mounting.  No right or wrong about it that's for sure. I have mounted many crappies that would rival bass some 12-18 inches and even a 21 incher.  So point is, if you feel it's worth mounting and you are putting it on your wall, by all means, knock your socks off.  Not saying anyone is right or wrong in this.  There are no limits on what you want.

Well said Charlie!!! 

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:24 PM »
how much does it cost to make a mount?

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:32 PM »
In my area it is $12.00 an inch on ony kind of fish.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:49 PM »
$10.50 per inch to my taxidermist

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Location is the biggest determining factor.  It just so happens that I live in the poorest county in the entire state of Wisconsin.  I've seen 9-12 an inch.  Here, I charge 7.  The price doesn't reflect the quality either.  I do many competition techniques that take time an others wont do.  But it certainly sets your work apart from others and well worth the effort.

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:53 PM »
This eats crappie perch gills and anything else it wants.

Just messing around guys I would certainly mount a big pan fish. This mount cost me almost 700 and well worth it
I talk to her all the time and ask where is your mama ;D
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:55 PM »
How big was she? That head looks masssive. :tipup:

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:56 PM »
I have seen several gills and crappies moires make a nice scene on a metal stringer hanging on the wall.   As far as trophies go if ya don't call a ten in gill or seventeen in crappie a trophy your nuts!!!

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:58 PM »
I started mounting some panfish and others because I had a new goal....mount at least 1 of every species...heres a few I recently got back...

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline SEF830

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:01 PM »
  As far as trophies go if ya don't call a ten in gill or seventeen in crappie a trophy your nuts!!!

I agree.  But I think my 15 1/4" crappie that's still at the taxidermist is a trophy too.

How long does is usually take for you guys to get your mounts back?  I dropped mine off in March of 2011.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:16 PM »
You can buy fiberglass replicas that look better than 95% of the skin mounts and don't have to feel guilty about kill a nice specimen for your vanities. You can either put the fish you caught back into the gene pool or kill it and eat it!

... or you can get a replica bigger than anything you've ever caught and lie about it until you catch one that big.

To me, a picture of someone holding their catch when it was caught is priceless and speaks volumes more than a mount that might have been picked up at a yard sale or thrift store...
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.