The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This Weekend  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
This Weekend
« on: Mar 06, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Hello,

I love Ice Fishing but here in CT we have a very short season if any at all sometimes. So I spend as much time as possible fishing in Maine with my buddy who lives there. I was there fishing Annabesacook a few weeks ago and was hoping to come back up one more time this coming weekend. So being I am here where it feels like Spring its tough to gauge conditions and have seen various reports on conditions.... I just wanted to get some opinions or observations from those living in that area or may have been on that lake over the past week or so, and also what impact the upcoming snow will have?

Thanks in Advance  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
Re: This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:40 PM »
I don't have info directly for that lake but in general the ice has been going fast the past week and a half.  Most all shorelines are open and we're expecting 18 inches of heavy wet snow Thursday.  That will put a lot of pressure on rotting ice and push up more water.  Personally, I'm done for the year.  Conditions are too spotty for me.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:43 PM »
I fished Annabesicook on Sunday and there was 18" of ice.  At least 12" of good solid ice.  This snow definitely isn't going to help.  I did hear that a couple machines went through Annabesicook Sunday but my understanding is that it was by the boat launch where this is a bunch of moving water so that would make sense.  By early afternoon sunday things were getting a little mealy on top but to be honest that helped with the traction because other than that it was glare ice.  Some of the easiest conditions of the year for walking and dragging a sled.

Offline Snofighter82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Walking is the best bet but with 12-18 inches of snow forecasted might be tough especially with wet heavy snow will most likely be slushy

Offline Snofighter82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2018, 03:45 PM »
Can give you an update if anyone goes out there on Friday only a couple miles from where I live

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2018, 06:03 PM »
Sounds like a lot of snow up there... probably not good to drive all the way up to annabesacook from CT... unless anyone has any different info? Thanks  :tipup:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2018, 06:54 PM »
Ice holes were getting bigger. Lake is rising .More open water near shore. Lot of thin ice covered by this heavy snow.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Thanks for the update, looks like I will be saving my gas..  :tipup:

Offline Snofighter82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2018, 04:44 AM »
Not worth the drive the ice didn’t take the snow well at all they lost two snowmobiles last night on maranacook.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2018, 08:08 AM »
Do you know where?  I  was out off Bearce as the snow started and the ice was great.

Not worth the drive the ice didn’t take the snow well at all they lost two snowmobiles last night on maranacook.

Offline Snofighter82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Somewhere near the trussell stupid people should know the ice is always thin there

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Well I decided to stay in CT and hit one if my favorite catch and release trout rivers... here are a few of my catches..

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Nice fish, I prefer ice fishing but it must of been nice to do some casting. Do you have a landing net? If it C&R it’s best to not beach the fish as they are much more susceptible to damage and infections if they thrash themselves around too much.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Nice fish.  Are those tiger trout in the mix or just interesting colored browns?

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2018, 04:48 PM »
Browns, Rainbow and Brookies... the stocked Brookies in CT are not as dark as the ones you catch in the Maine ponds... there are Tiger Trout in this river but I didn’t catch any... All fish were returned quickly and healthy..

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2018, 07:34 AM »
Question.... With the recent return to cold temps does anyone know if the conditions at Abbabesacook have gotten better? has anyone been out there? I would love to get a bonus trip up there from CT this weekend....  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2018, 07:52 AM »
not sure about anabas but cobboseecontee should be ok for you on the southern end.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2018, 11:10 AM »
I am hoping to get on Annabesicook 1 or two more times.  Maybe Sunday but if not definitely next weekend.  Although, I can't imagine you will be able to get on by the boat landing and I am also guessing its going to be tough finding some big bait, but I will be trying to get out there one way or another.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Well I have a 4 1/2 hour drive to get there so I wanted to see if it was worth the drive, sounds like maybe the edges are funny and the channel where the boat launch is?

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2018, 12:39 PM »
The launch is not safe.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2018, 08:48 AM »
I am pretty sure the edges for the most part are no issue unless there is moving water around like there is at the launch.  I would dare guess and will hopefully find out this weekend that the majority of the lake has over a foot of ice.  folks are still riding sleds all over the Readfield end of Maranacook which is only a few miles away.  If you wanted to make the drive up you will find fishable ice.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Yup.  20" of ice at the Readfield end yesterday.  The top 6" was white and a little beat up. The rest is solid.  Anywhere from 2" to 12" of snow on top to walk thru in most spots. 

folks are still riding sleds all over the Readfield end of Maranacook which is only a few miles away.  If you wanted to make the drive up you will find fishable ice.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:11 PM »
With this additional snow tonight the weight of the snow will bring more water up on top of ice under the present snow . It is looking like a big dangerous trap on most lakes where ever the open water was two weeks ago is multiplying fast, let all be very careful and plan to be around to fish another year!!!!!

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2018, 04:10 AM »
Lots of conflicting advice here but I certainly do appreciate all of you providing feedback. We were supposed to get over a foot of snow yesterday and last night and we got about an inch, how about there? I still have not decided what I am doing yet. All I need really is a safe way on and I think the middle will be good.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2018, 06:43 AM »
Does it say that in the rule book? Just curious as I do not want to be breaking any of the rules. If it does please let me know what page of this years Anglers guide it states that, I can not seem to locate that specific rule pertaining to Trophy Trout streams.

Thanks

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2018, 07:45 AM »
Not a flake in the Readfield area so far.  Little expected. 

Lots of conflicting advice here but I certainly do appreciate all of you providing feedback. We were supposed to get over a foot of snow yesterday and last night and we got about an inch, how about there? I still have not decided what I am doing yet. All I need really is a safe way on and I think the middle will be good.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2018, 02:22 PM »
No additional snow around Annabesicook.  if you find shore line away from the boat landing you will be on plenty of ice and should be all set.  It would definitely be worth making the trip.  Should be a nice weekend.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2018, 07:43 PM »
I'm at moosehead lake now up in Rockwood there is about 12in of snow on the lake with lots of deeper drifts up to 3ft. we drove around Rockwood area this afternoon to check out the conditions on the ice we found one spot of slush at the base of the giant cliff that's the only slush we seen we also seen so bear ice spots. we are fishing the next 2 days hopefully the fish are hunrgy  ;D
Go big or go home

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:55 AM »
Other than the boat launch does anyone know any other good access points to the lake on the same end? Since I am not from the area the boat launch is the only place I’ve ever gotten on. All the info here has been great and much appreciated.  :tipup:

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Other than the boat launch does anyone know any other good access points to the lake on the same end? Since I am not from the area the boat launch is the only place I’ve ever gotten on. All the info here has been great and much appreciated.  :tipup:
the launch is your only option. The stream there has been wide open for a few weeks now. You maybe be OK if you stick to the extreme shoreline on either side but I wouldn’t risk it if it were me. Good luck if you go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.