Author Topic: Garmin Echomap 73sv for ice fishing  (Read 13257 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Garmin Echomap 73sv for ice fishing
« on: Mar 01, 2017, 07:23 AM »
I've been asking this question everywhere and nobody seems to know for sure.  Garmin Tech told me that the ice transducer will not work, but I got a vibe that they weren't really sure either.    At any rate it is an older NON CHIRP version with a bank of 3 4 pin inputs on the back. The boat transducer is a 12 pin that plugs into a Y adapter with 2 4 pin plugs that fit into the unit.   I think the ice fishing transducer is a  4 pin but was told by Garmin tech will not work with non chirp units.     So confusing...  Has anyone tried to make this work?

On a side note Cabelas has a great deal on these units right now.  7" screen with Side imaging, Down imaging, Sonar, GPS, and built in maps.  $999 marked down to $499.  Yesterday they had an additional $50 marked off.  I couldn't pass it up for $449.    http://www.cabelas.com/product//2412938.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dechomap

Here is the ice transducer.  https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GT8HW-IF-Fishing-Plastic-Transducer/dp/B017N32EQY

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Garmin Echomap 73sv for ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2017, 10:18 AM »
I almost did that too Dtro but Fleet has the newer 73 CHIRP SV for $699.99 and even $50 less at some on line places. That sure looks like a nice unit. I've been a Lowrance guy forever and was looking at Hummingbird but this one looks to be clearer and more user friendly to me. Nice units.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2017, 10:25 AM »
So I just finished another chat session with Garmin Tech.   My unit has a 4 pin and the ice ducer has a 4 pin.   Physically it will plug in, however he said the operation frequency of the ice ducer is 150-240 kHz while the 73SV non chirp is 77-200 kHz.    I asked what would happen if I plugged in the ice ducer and he said he wasn’t sure.  :)     So there is a chance it might actually still be a simple plug and play and work in a limited frequency, but the only other alternative is a dual beam suction mount type transducer which is actually cheaper, but will make self leveling a little harder for the ice. 

Hawg, yeah I seen that too, but wasn’t sure the extra few hundred dollars was worth it for Chirp alone.   I do think the Chirp version also has a Panoptix port which is amazing technology, but out of my price range for sure.   

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2017, 11:49 AM »
WOW, that transducer price is crazy! Someone will probably do a 4 way ducer next wouldn't you think :)

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2017, 12:24 PM »
So I just finished another chat session with Garmin Tech.   My unit has a 4 pin and the ice ducer has a 4 pin.   Physically it will plug in, however he said the operation frequency of the ice ducer is 150-240 kHz while the 73SV non chirp is 77-200 kHz.    I asked what would happen if I plugged in the ice ducer and he said he wasn’t sure.  :)     So there is a chance it might actually still be a simple plug and play ...
Well I can confirm that it does seem to be simple plug-and-play! :clap: The Garmin GT8HW-IF ice ducer works fine with my Garmin echoMAP 75sv (non-CHIRP!) which is the same as the 73sv but with the LakeVU Canada mapping instead. I just selected dual-frequency 200/50 kHz transducer at first use, as GT8HW is not listed as an available transducer. It runs at 200 kHz. I had to reduce the gain in order to display the lure as a decently smooth line. The screenshots below show what I believe would have been a curious small walleye approaching warily from below.

By the way, the GT8HW-IF MSLP is around $120 USD. I got mine for $139.99 CDN.

Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Best thing I've read all day!  Thanks   The last few years my ice fishing has been pretty much limited to sturgeon and catfish and I mostly was hoping to use the unit for GPS and simple initial depth readings.  I wonder what the approx beam angle is on 200 kHz?   

At $50 I also wonder if this would be a better option?   https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--replacement-echo-series-dual-beam-transducer--13178298?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-Shopping_PLAs-_-13178298&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC+-+Vendors-_-13178298&product_id=13178298&adpos=1o1&creative=108421554244&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiA_9nFBRCsurz7y_Px8xoSJAAUqvKCgYR2yPfRDcezu5ekgeVtUQg-uZ9W-1zFgMIaonZgvhoCA5Tw_wcB

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2017, 01:00 PM »
I guess that link I posted answered one of my questions.  200 kHz = 15 degrees

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2017, 01:51 PM »
At $50 I also wonder if this would be a better option?   https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--replacement-echo-series-dual-beam-transducer--13178298?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-Shopping_PLAs-_-13178298&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC+-+Vendors-_-13178298&product_id=13178298&adpos=1o1&creative=108421554244&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiA_9nFBRCsurz7y_Px8xoSJAAUqvKCgYR2yPfRDcezu5ekgeVtUQg-uZ9W-1zFgMIaonZgvhoCA5Tw_wcB
That replacement skimmer transducer would certainly be a less expensive option. However the ice ducer is designed for ice fishing and pretty much ready-to-go right out of the box; just attach the float with adjustment/plug to the cable and the slim (and lightweight) transducer hangs straight down.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2017, 02:51 PM »
Yes, I agree.  Probably less cable management too, that skimmer comes with 30ft I think.   

Offline MNfishingq1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2017, 03:28 PM »
DTro-

Did you get the GT8HW-IF and if so, does it work with the echoMAP 73sv?

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2017, 07:25 AM »
http://www.imarineusa.com/AirmarD00218H.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjwyIHPBRAIEiwAHPS-GPGtI_38wXfwKREW0_JKKZ5FM1o7mOBLmfarXzwfY9qRD5MpCd8JrhoChdUQAvD_BwE

Have used this item to shorten standard transducer wires for ice fishing. Works like a champ and makes it so much easier to route cable for ice fishing purposes.

Secondly the GT8HW-IF ice fishing transducer will work with the older non-chirp units.It will operate as a standard transducer. BUT you will not have the chirp function. Also since it is a four pin an adapter is needed to connect to 8 pin and 12 pin units.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2017, 01:29 PM »
Well, since ice fishing is going to be here soon, today i ordered both the transducer and mobile kit case (power cord, base, battery, and soft case).  Total was $180.    So for a Grand Total of $630 I have a 7" full featured year round sonar with SI DI GPS/Mapping and Quickdraw.    I'm curious to see how well it works on the ice....

Offline Brushy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2017, 01:11 PM »
Will the 73sv Chirp work for ice fishing as well? Anyone try it?

DTro, Can you post the URLs for the items you purchased to turn your's into an Ice Unit?

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Will the 73sv Chirp work for ice fishing as well? Anyone try it?

DTro, Can you post the URLs for the items you purchased to turn your's into an Ice Unit?

I set my 73sv chirp up for ice this year.  I already had mine set up for portable use in my kayak with a battery and RAM mount, so I went the cheaper route and bought the transducer and am mounting it in a clam flasher bag.

Links:
Garmin bundle (includes bag, transducer, battery, power cable, charger): https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/599587

GT10HN-IF transducer: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/599585

Either way, you'll need the 8 pin to 12 pin adaptor cable:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/511579

The bundle is $50 cheaper at Cabela's if you go that route.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2017, 04:24 PM »
For Garmin stuff, Hodges Marine always has a lot.  They ship fast, too.  https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Garmin-Gt8hw-If-Ice-Transducer-p/gar010-12401-20.htm

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2017, 05:00 PM »
From the Garmin website, (kayl mentions the GT10HN-IF transducer above), Garmin states that "GT10HN-IF ice fishing transducer features Garmin CHIRP traditional sonar with narrow, 8-16 degree beam angle for crisp, clear images and excellent target separation". Before this new transducer, they said that last year's "GT8HW-IF transducer is perfect for ice fishermen who want clear bottom definition under the ice as well as crisp, clear and wide fish arches with excellent target separation. The wider beam width — up to 24 degree beam angle — provides a larger coverage area in the water".

Comparing these two from the vague descriptions, last year's GT8W-IF calls out a "wider beam width — up to 24 degree beam angle" without telling you what the angle is.  The newer GT10HN-IF spells it out as 8-16 degree coverage.  Maybe Garmin realized that wider isn't necessarily better for stationary fishing.  Until today, I hadn't seen the GT10HN-IF.  https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/599585  I wonder how much of an improvement it might be over the GT8W-IF when trying to see fish and lures in the hole, and if it would be worth the investment.

Offline Brushy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2017, 12:29 PM »
What has everyone done for a separate power cable from their boat? I'd like to simply be able to "pop" my unit off the boat and "pop" it into a flasher bag.

I would like this, https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/536437#devices , bail mount on both the boat and in my ice bag. That way it is just a transfer of the main unit and start fishing.

BUT, Garmin told me that there is no separate power cable to purchase, which I find hard to believe. They advised the only thing to purchase to make it an "ice machine" is their $400 Echo Ice Kit. That's about how much I spent on the entire unit, so I'm not likely going to do that.

I'd appreciate any help on this as hard water season is approaching.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2017, 01:25 PM »
What has everyone done for a separate power cable from their boat? I'd like to simply be able to "pop" my unit off the boat and "pop" it into a flasher bag.

I would like this, https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/536437#devices , bail mount on both the boat and in my ice bag. That way it is just a transfer of the main unit and start fishing.

BUT, Garmin told me that there is no separate power cable to purchase, which I find hard to believe. They advised the only thing to purchase to make it an "ice machine" is their $400 Echo Ice Kit. That's about how much I spent on the entire unit, so I'm not likely going to do that.

I'd appreciate any help on this as hard water season is approaching.

Complete incompetence on their part. I have my bail mount mounted on a ram mount, so I'm using that in both locations, but a second bail mount is actually cheaper than a ram mount!

Here's the power cable you need: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12445-00

I assume you know this from your boat install, but if you're not using NMEA, you can crimp off and ignore the blue and brown cables. I crimped these insulated connectors on the end.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:43 PM »
Funny that I just found this thread...  I was just on the Garmin website chat feature a few hours ago trying to find out if there was a convenient and fairly inexpensive way to use my Garmin 93sv on the ice.  I was told the ice fishing kit wouldn't fit it, but I guess I could buy the transducer and a power cable and rig up my own ice box for it.

I love the 93sv.  I also love my MarCum VX1P, but I wouldn't mind having the 93sv on the ice instead....

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Funny that I just found this thread...  I was just on the Garmin website chat feature a few hours ago trying to find out if there was a convenient and fairly inexpensive way to use my Garmin 93sv on the ice.  I was told the ice fishing kit wouldn't fit it, but I guess I could buy the transducer and a power cable and rig up my own ice box for it.

I love the 93sv.  I also love my MarCum VX1P, but I wouldn't mind having the 93sv on the ice instead....

Tight lines,
Bob

I'm picking up my clam flasher bag tomorrow. I'll see how much extra space there is with my 73sv in there. I think the 93 might fit.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2017, 08:43 PM »
I'm picking up my clam flasher bag tomorrow. I'll see how much extra space there is with my 73sv in there. I think the 93 might fit.

Cool.  I'll be interested to see how it works out.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2017, 09:16 PM »
I have a 93 and 73 on my boat. If I could be guaranteed they would work and not freeze up on me I might think of icifying one. ;D
Problem is the frigid temps up here make LCD displays slow down quite a bit. So they are next to useless up here.

Offline Brushy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2017, 06:40 PM »

I asked a Garmin Rep why someone can get the entire Striker5 Unit with Ice Kit for $400 and the ECHOmap kit without a unit is also $400..... They're response... "The price difference comes down to the fact that this bundle contains a larger battery and different transducer." What a load of BS!! After buying the 73sv I don't have the cash to fork up the same amount just to ice fish with it.

Kayl; how did it fit in the clam bag?

I think what I'm going to end up doing is purchasing this bag; http://www.glensoutdoors.com/trophy-angler-ice-guide-square-bottom-flashers-soft-pack.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA9f7QBRBpEiwApLGUilGZJFC6bbc77H5FdXJZJYpSHQAqTqutolpE78_qDF6SpJQzuKKu0xoCHEIQAvD_BwE

This power cable; https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12445-00#devices

This Transducer; https://www.gps4us.com/GARMIN-GT10HN-IF-Ice-Fishing-Transducer--P36033.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA9f7QBRBpEiwApLGUijVYCuLBHHQsY7CsWD4FQocl7wWBYtGPi-Nx49ds-u7lc0WI7mvjeRoCVPQQAvD_BwE

And get a bail mount and 12v/12ah battery. Then I'll just mount all of this onto a wood base inside the bag.

Should work......maybe?

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2017, 10:58 PM »
I like your thinking, 400$ does seem steep, thought I'd love to get my 93sv on the ice.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Just to be clear.  I have the Non Chirp version of the 73sv.

I bought the mobile kit (not the ice kit) and the GT8HW-IF transducer.   The bracket for the 73sv is not a straight up bolt on for the mobile kit so I bought an extra ram ball for the mobile kit (which makes it a much easier swap from the boat).  Problem is that with the ram mount it makes it much too tall to fit in the soft case, so I'll just have to live without it.  But it came with battery, power cable, charger, and base.

Also in regards to transducer you have to manually go in and select dual frequency trandsducer as the unit will not automatically recognize it.  After that you will be scanning at 200khz which I believe is about 10-15 degrees which isn't a bad cone angle for ice fishing. 

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2017, 03:27 PM »
I got the EchoMap 73sv with chirp this spring. I thought about using on the ice, too. But adding $400 to a unit I just paid $650 seems rediculous. I bought the Lowarance Ice Kit last year for $118 so I could use my Elite-5 on the ice. I mean really? A bag, battery and ice transducer for $400? Might as well just buy the Striker Ice Bundle for that. It still has GPS but no mapping.
jbird68

Offline Brushy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:54 PM »
I ended up ordering a Garmin soft carry case $16, portable handle base $15, GT8HW transducer $100, 4 to 12 pin adaptor $20, power cable $22, and quick bail mount $25.

IF it works I'll be able to quick detach from boat and quick attach to ice unit for about $200. If I like it enough I'll end up selling my Vex FL22. I'll post once I get it all set up and running.

Offline Angler15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:23 PM »
I ended up ordering a Garmin soft carry case $16, portable handle base $15, GT8HW transducer $100, 4 to 12 pin adaptor $20, power cable $22, and quick bail mount $25.

IF it works I'll be able to quick detach from boat and quick attach to ice unit for about $200. If I like it enough I'll end up selling my Vex FL22. I'll post once I get it all set up and running.

I'm looking to buy the handle base and soft case for my echomap 43dv. I looked on Garmin's site and it doesn't say the echomap series is compatible with the case or base. Do you think the echomap's mounting base will fit right?

Offline Brushy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:59 PM »
I'm looking to buy the handle base and soft case for my echomap 43dv. I looked on Garmin's site and it doesn't say the echomap series is compatible with the case or base. Do you think the echomap's mounting base will fit right?

Angler, the below link is for their portable kit, which includes the base/handle and soft case. I believe the soft case is the same one they use for all their ice kits and portable units except for their new kit for 7 & 9" units.

I think you'll be just fine with the soft case and the handle. The handle may not line up perfectly with your mount bolt holes, but sounds like mine won't either. Just mark and drill out new holes and you should be set.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/543361#devices

Below is the bag I bought, but got it from Walmart on clearance for $16;
https://www.gpsnation.com/garmin-portable-bag-replacement.html?fee=14&fep=2143&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsK7RBRDzARIsAM2pTZ_o1WsZeJQZ54LsZ3loH6s83876CESH2qY_tWGq_Rn2-N-uizmgcdMaArW7EALw_wcB

Offline Angler15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Angler, the below link is for their portable kit, which includes the base/handle and soft case. I believe the soft case is the same one they use for all their ice kits and portable units except for their new kit for 7 & 9" units.

I think you'll be just fine with the soft case and the handle. The handle may not line up perfectly with your mount bolt holes, but sounds like mine won't either. Just mark and drill out new holes and you should be set.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/543361#devices

Below is the bag I bought, but got it from Walmart on clearance for $16;
https://www.gpsnation.com/garmin-portable-bag-replacement.html?fee=14&fep=2143&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsK7RBRDzARIsAM2pTZ_o1WsZeJQZ54LsZ3loH6s83876CESH2qY_tWGq_Rn2-N-uizmgcdMaArW7EALw_wcB

They do look exactly the same so I think you're right. I don't need all of the extra stuff that the portable kit comes with so this will save money. Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.