New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1032156 times)

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #4860 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:11 AM »
My buddy told me he was the only person in the state that has a permit to do that. Don't worry we made the news and the newspaper.

I remember when the Good Ole Boys (1000 island guides!) were going out and dynamite a island that the Cormorants had desecrated up there. Don't remember how that worked out?

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4861 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:14 AM »
David Lemon, the Region 7 fisheries manager for the New York DEC, said, “We implemented a more restrictive regulation of 18 inches and three per day. Prior to that, it was 15 inches and five per day, in terms of what you could keep.”

Isn't the size limit 15" did I miss a regulation change ?

Many places including Lake Ontario and it's tributaries/bays are 18". I believe Oneida and Honeoye Lake have exceptions that make it 15" there.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4862 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:21 AM »
I've always wondered why they dont have a slot limit so bigger fish get released, the smaller fish are better eating any way

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4863 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:26 AM »
I like to believe that most of the better fisherman who fish it on a regular basis are releasing the bigger fish without a slot limit....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4864 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:26 AM »
David Lemon, the Region 7 fisheries manager for the New York DEC, said, “We implemented a more restrictive regulation of 18 inches and three per day. Prior to that, it was 15 inches and five per day, in terms of what you could keep.”

Isn't the size limit 15" did I miss a regulation change ?

Yes. Before around the year 2000 the size limit was 15" and you could keep 5. Other than around 1990 when they dropped the size limit to 12" like Fred mentioned because of a bumper crop of fish around then. Then around 2000-2001 when the walleye population hit it's bottom (250K - 300K adult eyes) they raised the size limit to 18" and dropped the quantity to 3 fish. Then the population started to stabilize and around 2004 they changed it to 3 fish 15" and it has been that way since then.

From 2004 - about 2017 we cruised along in the 400K adult walleye range. Then the past few years we are talking 500K - 1 million adult walleyes.

I would expect some discussions to begin about bringing the quantity back to 5 fish per day.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4865 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:33 AM »
I've always wondered why they dont have a slot limit so bigger fish get released, the smaller fish are better eating any way
I was told by a biologist the prime spawning fish are 17-22”
 I to like the smaller fish to eat

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4866 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:55 AM »
I was told by a biologist the prime spawning fish are 17-22”
 I to like the smaller fish to eat

I think the best eaters are 15-21" after that I like to release them
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4867 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:58 AM »
I think the best eaters are 15-21" after that I like to release them
I toss 20 and overs back unless badly hooked , that just me , I don’t care what anyone keeps , that’s just my thing

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4868 on: Feb 27, 2020, 10:26 AM »
ice season i keep a few in summer i rarely keep an eye unless i want a fresh fish dinner that day, normally have enough perch in freezer from ice season ,

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4869 on: Feb 27, 2020, 01:16 PM »
chapman park cam looks like snow is blowing off the ice.......lets hope....a good freeze is greatly needed before lake effect tomorrow

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4870 on: Feb 27, 2020, 04:20 PM »
Not much snow here today, so far so good.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4871 on: Feb 27, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Yeah that wind was definitely blowing the little snow that fell off the ice today. Looked wild out there! I’m working right on the lakeshore and had a great view of it. I would think it hardened right back up. That windchill is getting down there. 🥶
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4872 on: Feb 28, 2020, 05:02 AM »
SOOOOO, how's the ice holding up after yesterday. Also how much snow?? Want to try 1 last trip before walleye season ends. Thanks for any help...
      Kim ??? :-\ :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4873 on: Feb 28, 2020, 05:12 AM »
No snow on the lake, it's all in the amusement park at the beach. Winds here now is 30+ with higher gusts, supposed to get 3-6 inches "maybe?" before Sunday, if it stays cold we will have weeks left I think.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4874 on: Feb 28, 2020, 05:14 AM »
OK, thanks. Saw that for Oneida Lake walleye season wraps up this weekend. Wanted to give it 1 more shot. 2 hour drive from Albany. Perch fishing was pretty good too...….
      Kim :bow: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4875 on: Feb 28, 2020, 05:16 AM »
Walleye ends the 15th of march.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4876 on: Feb 28, 2020, 05:50 AM »
I remember when the Good Ole Boys (1000 island guides!) were going out and dynamite a island that the Cormorants had desecrated up there. Don't remember how that worked out?

6 months house arrest for my friend’s father.  He was a local hero. And shortly afterwards DEC started oiling the eggs
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4877 on: Feb 28, 2020, 06:00 AM »

6 months house arrest for my friend’s father.  He was a local hero. And shortly afterwards DEC started oiling the eggs

Wow! That is dedication.  Something like a peaceful protest that was a bit noisy in spots.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4878 on: Feb 28, 2020, 06:24 AM »
ice looks like its in good shape no snow to speak of

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4879 on: Feb 28, 2020, 06:33 AM »
little snow  here  .... looks like  just  north of  us is getting pounded

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4880 on: Feb 28, 2020, 07:05 AM »
Wow! That is dedication.  Something like a peaceful protest that was a bit noisy in spots.

He was a captain, had rooms he rented etc. and the cormorants were wreaking havoc with their industry and ability to earn a living. They had attempted to get help the right way and it didn't happen so a number of people in the community all went in on an enormous amount of ammo and they went out on july 4th so the noise was less suspicious.

I know for a fact they wouldn't have done it if DEC had started oiling the eggs a couple of years earlier.

Civil disobedience redneck style  ;D

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4881 on: Feb 28, 2020, 07:10 AM »
He was a captain, had rooms he rented etc. and the cormorants were wreaking havoc with their industry and ability to earn a living. They had attempted to get help the right way and it didn't happen so a number of people in the community all went in on an enormous amount of ammo and they went out on july 4th so the noise was less suspicious.

I know for a fact they wouldn't have done it if DEC had started oiling the eggs a couple of years earlier.

Civil disobedience redneck style  ;D

6 months of house arrest sound like it was worth it
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4882 on: Feb 28, 2020, 07:49 AM »
So far we've lucked out. The top was all water and slush before this weather but now the cold and wind has flattened it out and locked it up. The only snow on the ice is the tiny amount that can hold on the surface thru this wind. We'll see how much snow tonight brings but the weekend is looking good.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4883 on: Feb 28, 2020, 09:23 AM »

Thanks for that feedback Ship. I remember that Island (Little Gull/Big Gull?) was devoid of any vegetation because of the birds and they were putting a hurting on the Perch population.
I was in Florida a few years back and the Cormorants there had decimated a little Bass Pond I fished. Cya.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4884 on: Feb 28, 2020, 09:37 AM »

Yep the Gallo islands took a beating  and it wasn’t just the perch the stocked browns took a hit to

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4885 on: Feb 28, 2020, 09:41 AM »
Yep the Gallo islands took a beating  and it wasn’t just the perch the stocked browns took a hit to

I heard the cormorants would literally stalk the stocking truck and as soon as the fish got dumped in the water they would eat them,

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4886 on: Feb 28, 2020, 10:24 AM »
I heard the cormorants would literally stalk the stocking truck and as soon as the fish got dumped in the water they would eat them,
They did , it was insane , 😡

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4887 on: Feb 28, 2020, 11:04 AM »
Wind is laying down just a tad. Starting to see a few guys venture out. I would think they are anchoring down the shacks with the slick conditions and remaining wind. Chow I agree that we should be in good shape this weekend. I bet the lake is packed with fishermen again Saturday and Sunday
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4888 on: Feb 28, 2020, 11:21 AM »
I read on the news that maybe very soon the limit for eyes on onieda will go back up to 5..

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4889 on: Feb 28, 2020, 11:37 AM »
by the looks of the extended forecast I would say get your ice fishing in this weekend.......it is calling for some major warm up for the duration of March......what a wacky year this has been........don't mean to be a negative nancy but reality is reality

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.