New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031899 times)

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #4830 on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:42 PM »
Here's a shot for Deady...Venison meatballs and spaghetti with portobella mushrooms...just as good as it gets.

Dug that looks awesome!! Enjoy my friend!! 👍🏻
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4831 on: Feb 26, 2020, 03:08 PM »
👍🍽

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #4832 on: Feb 26, 2020, 08:39 PM »
lake was peaceful as can be this morning.........had a 12" perch in hand before I even got a rod in the water.......explanatio n: driving to my spot I spotted a fishing rod and upon investigation it was still in the water.....picked it up and set the hook and lo and behold a nice jumbo was on the ice......needless to say if anybody lost/left a rod out of William's let me know and I will get it back to you......ended up with 15 counting the freebie.......ice is sloppy on top but as Oneida 1 stated it seems to be holding .......need a freeze though

I can't be the only one thinking this... don't know too many fishermen that just leave a rod with the line still in the water!! It's not uncommon for stuff to bounce out of a sled but to have the line still in the water!!??? I hope someone isn't reported missing...… Just saying IT IS ONEIDA and those damn gas pockets are all over
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4833 on: Feb 26, 2020, 09:15 PM »
Scary thought; but it was probably a young Millenial and Scout was the early bird who got the worm, or in this case a nice perch, Lol...serves whoever it was right, that isn't quite kool to do...everyone knows you mark your hole with a branch from a christmas tree! Lmao ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4834 on: Feb 27, 2020, 02:12 AM »
I can't be the only one thinking this... don't know too many fishermen that just leave a rod with the line still in the water!! It's not uncommon for stuff to bounce out of a sled but to have the line still in the water!!??? I hope someone isn't reported missing...… Just saying IT IS ONEIDA and those damn gas pockets are all over
  I’m sure there would be more things laying around than just a rod if the unthinkable happened , I don’t know anyone  comes out with just an ice rod , I’m sure it just didn’t get picked up is all

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4835 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:05 AM »
it was really weird to say the least........how you could pick up and head in and leave a rod still in the water in plain sight is beyond me......your right Freddy, there was nothing else left behind......just the rod .......that's 2 fairly pricey items I've found this year with no one claiming them.....my garage is becoming a salvage yard ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4836 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:19 AM »
 I picked up to move to another location a mile away and had to go back and get my vex 🤪
 In a hurry 4 times this year I forgot to reel up my lure and Nate wanted to know if I was ice trolling lmbo ,

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4837 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:27 AM »

Dam goat that’s a hell of thing to see first thing in the morning 🤢

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4838 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:34 AM »
I picked up to move to another location a mile away and had to go back and get my vex 🤪
 In a hurry 4 times this year I forgot to reel up my lure and Nate wanted to know if I was ice trolling lmbo ,
welcome to the golden years bud

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4839 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:38 AM »
welcome to the golden years bud
Lol , least I keep goon boy entertained

Offline icefishnfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4840 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:40 AM »

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4841 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:50 AM »
 I can remember  there were so many they lowered the size to 12” I season
 Next year there will be more , those juveniles will be legal size and they like perch 😡
 The eye bite has been crazy starting last spring

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4842 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:55 AM »
they eat perch ......kill em

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4843 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:58 AM »
they eat perch ......kill em
You bet we aren’t even fishing for the dam things and three seem to swim out of holes every outing lol

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4844 on: Feb 27, 2020, 06:34 AM »
Here I am thinking "darn" all these guys must be "really" good fishermen and now I read this....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4845 on: Feb 27, 2020, 06:38 AM »
Here I am thinking "darn" all these guys must be "really" good fishermen and now I read this....h2l
Fooled you 😉

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4846 on: Feb 27, 2020, 07:16 AM »
https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/oneida-lake-could-produce-its-best-walleye-fishing-season-in-over-30-years/
interesting story on oneidas walleye #,s i hope there accurate

Still no mention of the round goby???

Interesting that Cornell doesn't even acknowledge their potentially positive impact. The last regulation change was over 15 years ago...

Perch, bass, and pickeral are eating more gobies so they are eating less baby walleyes and less baby perch. Now the walleyes don't seem to eat the gobies and they still eat a lot of young perch.

It seems obvious to me. Maybe they will admit it in a few years...

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4847 on: Feb 27, 2020, 07:21 AM »
Still no mention of the round goby???

Interesting that Cornell doesn't even acknowledge their potentially positive impact. The last regulation change was over 15 years ago...

Perch, bass, and pickeral are eating more gobies so they are eating less baby walleyes and less baby perch. Now the walleyes don't seem to eat the gobies and they still eat a lot of young perch.

It seems obvious to me. Maybe they will admit it in a few years...

I don't remember where I read it or heard it but I heard or read that last time dec killed some comrades stomachaches where full of round gobie
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #4848 on: Feb 27, 2020, 07:27 AM »
Perch had shrimp and walleyes had gobies in them , I bet all fish feed on them .

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4849 on: Feb 27, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Perch had shrimp and walleyes had gobies in them , I bet all fish feed on them .

Is this 1 sampling or something you have seen over the past few years?

I have filleted 3 walleyes (all the same batch) with gobies in them since they arrived, the other couple hundred have had no gobies in their stomachs. The majority of the perch I have caught over the past few years have been puking up gobies.

Either way, it is saving the baby walleyes.  :thumbsup:

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4850 on: Feb 27, 2020, 07:42 AM »
I got pic of a cormarnts hunt I went on.

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4851 on: Feb 27, 2020, 07:49 AM »
Reeleyz , I just stated to paying attention the past couple years . Seen it a couple times ,and like you said I see gobies in the perch more often but a couple times in the walleyes as well.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4852 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:03 AM »
where do you hunt Cormorants????
what do you do with them after?
is there a use?

can you decoy them? be fun shooting

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4853 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:10 AM »
I can remember  there were so many they lowered the size to 12” I season
 Next year there will be more , those juveniles will be legal size and they like perch 😡
 The eye bite has been crazy starting last spring
I caught two keeper eyes on tiny jigs with spikes last weekend.  I don’t think I have ever caught a walleye on my tiny perch jigs before. I target perch and they were a pleasant surprise. I must say I fried them up with the perch and my wife and both kids passed after one bite saying the perch were way better.  I had to suck it up and eat all the fillets myself. The sacrifices a dad makes...

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4854 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:12 AM »
where do you hunt Cormorants????
what do you do with them after?
is there a use?

can you decoy them? be fun shooting

I thought it was dec only didnt think general public.could hunt them
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4855 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:13 AM »
DEC gave my buddy a permit he owns a island and they were destroying the property lost half of the land. We were allowed to shoot 300 a year and 50 a day. Out of sight out of mind that's where they went.

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4856 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:14 AM »
I thought it was dec only didnt think general public.could hunt them
My buddy told me he was the only person in the state that has a permit to do that. Don't worry we made the news and the newspaper.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4857 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:20 AM »
My buddy told me he was the only person in the state that has a permit to do that. Don't worry we made the news and the newspaper.

I trust ya and makes since they gave him a permit for is island. Did ya try eating any just curious how they taste

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4858 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:26 AM »

I trust ya and makes since they gave him a permit for is island. Did ya try eating any just curious how they taste

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Offline Bug-Eye-Brew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into the Grease
« Reply #4859 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:03 AM »
https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/oneida-lake-could-produce-its-best-walleye-fishing-season-in-over-30-years/
David Lemon, the Region 7 fisheries manager for the New York DEC, said, “We implemented a more restrictive regulation of 18 inches and three per day. Prior to that, it was 15 inches and five per day, in terms of what you could keep.”

Isn't the size limit 15" did I miss a regulation change ?
Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter ... Mark Twain

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.