New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1032169 times)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #4800 on: Feb 25, 2020, 10:50 AM »
Don’t know how long it’s been sitting there, but I’m not sure I would have gone on foot let alone on a machine.

Good news is he wasn’t harmed

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4801 on: Feb 25, 2020, 11:27 AM »
God the comments these people post on Syracuse.com and some of these other sites bugs the hell out of me. It’s like watching these politicians on tv. Obviously the shorelines go at the end of the season. Looks like the atv is in 3 feet of water. Where I been the ice has been 11-12 inches thick. Getting to that ice can be iffy around the shorelines like every year. This snow will screw us if we get the forecasted amounts.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4802 on: Feb 25, 2020, 11:31 AM »
 Agreed Bob , traveling shorelines early and late in the year are bad news , I haven’t had any trouble getting on or off at this point either

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4803 on: Feb 25, 2020, 11:43 AM »
theres a small creek/ditch over  in that area that comes into lake

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4804 on: Feb 25, 2020, 12:38 PM »
God the comments these people post on Syracuse.com and some of these other sites bugs the hell out of me. It’s like watching these politicians on tv. Obviously the shorelines go at the end of the season. Looks like the atv is in 3 feet of water. Where I been the ice has been 11-12 inches thick. Getting to that ice can be iffy around the shorelines like every year. This snow will screw us if we get the forecasted amounts.

I had to go read them for myself. Unreal. People really have no clue how the real world works beyond their TVs, PCs, and smart phones.

Kind of sad really.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4805 on: Feb 25, 2020, 12:52 PM »
I had to go read them for myself. Unreal. People really have no clue how the real world works beyond their TVs, PCs, and smart phones.

Kind of sad really.

I did the same. I’d imagine for some it’s a platform that they frequently use to entertain themselves at others’ expense

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4806 on: Feb 25, 2020, 12:54 PM »
Ya know...it’s brutal

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #4807 on: Feb 25, 2020, 01:12 PM »
that whole area is shallow .......when it gets warm with sun like yesterday that area gets really soft in a hurry.....gotta swing to the east of the island.....went out of a buddies house to Messengers this morning......no issues at all with the wheeler....BUT, that top layer of white slush ice is getting mushy......it's not suppose to drop below freezing for the next 48 hrs.......so I would really pay attention out there....ice was still 10"+ this morning......half white, half black......and we're suppose to get up to an inch of rain tomorrow night....hopefully it gets to freeze back up before the snow starts....not trying to be negative but just use your heads out there......fishing wasn't great.....9 perch....but did get a blue perch....will try and post pic

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4808 on: Feb 25, 2020, 03:09 PM »
It looks like the fishermen of Oneida Lake are eating well as said earlier. I also see the fish have been eating well too. Lots of fat fish photos. I finally stopped long enough to remembeer to take a picture of my fish dinner in the pan last friday...it was walleye, portabella mushrooms, compari tomatoes, tomato paste, pamasean cheese, salt, pepper, garlic olive oil and other secret stuff. Man was it good...more like a Gumbo I guess...I just love those baby mushrooms...I must thank a couple of Diehards for helping me eat like a king again. Thanks guys, the 3rd week of February was always prime time for me. ><{{{;> Be safe.

Dug that looks delicious!
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4809 on: Feb 25, 2020, 03:18 PM »
Had another good trip on Oneida. Walked out a looong ways again near where I was Saturday. Got my eyes....some perch mixed in, so I did not move to far. Ended up with 8 keeper eyes, a few shorts and 3 big perch. could not find more perch... Had to leave early, but had fun. Jigging raps for all fish...good times on Oneida.
Like the gray phase walleyes
v
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4810 on: Feb 25, 2020, 03:30 PM »

good job choo choo......caught an elusive blue perch today.....kinda cool.......

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4811 on: Feb 25, 2020, 03:43 PM »
 Well done everyone , hey Scout nothing wrong with a little half & half 😳
 Ice I have been sitting on is 9 white 1 black

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4812 on: Feb 25, 2020, 04:41 PM »
Nice fish, gentlemen. Love the look of those blue perch and the blue tinged walleyes too.

I've been on at least 5" of black with another 5 or so white thru yesterday. That ice you're on doesn't sound like it's built to last, filet.

I drove down 49 today and the shore looks like it gets worse as you go West. It's still not too bad here. I was amazed by how few people were out though. I'm just praying this big dump of snow either misses us or doesn't materialize at all.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4813 on: Feb 25, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Some snow will help hold the shoreline though. Sun wins eventually

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #4814 on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:05 PM »
got out on the west end this morning. ended up with 19 sunnies, and one perch. ice was getting soft on top early afternoon. about 11" of ice where i was. half black, half white. be safe, and keep your eyes wide open fellas. the guy I was walking in with would have walked right into a gas pocket if I didn't hollar at him.   Sully...

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4815 on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:56 PM »
I just cleaned 18 nice perch, hope most of the snow stays north, except for Sandy pond, it just needs 2 inches or so for the derby this weekend. I should go out in the morning, really good fish about, and the walking is easy.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4816 on: Feb 25, 2020, 07:23 PM »
Nice reports guys! ChooChoo I’m glad you got on a good eye bite. Those silver/grey eyes are neat looking.

The ice I’ve been on was 8 black with 3 white on top according to the tape measure. That was up to yesterday evening. Not sure after today’s temp what that spot looks like. Sounds like it varies quite a bit from the reports and I know some of those reports aren’t to far from where I’ve been fishing. Be careful out there guys.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4817 on: Feb 25, 2020, 07:51 PM »
Nice reports guys! ChooChoo I’m glad you got on a good eye bite. Those silver/grey eyes are neat looking.

The ice I’ve been on was 8 black with 3 white on top according to the tape measure. That was up to yesterday evening. Not sure after today’s temp what that spot looks like. Sounds like it varies quite a bit from the reports and I know some of those reports aren’t to far from where I’ve been fishing. Be careful out there guys.
I am having some fun out there Bob... those blue/ silver/ grey eyes are neat...cell phone pictures don't do it justice..the cheeks were really shiny silver.

good job choo choo......caught an elusive blue perch today.....kinda cool.......
Love that blue perch scout!...Ive never caught one...awesome looking!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4818 on: Feb 26, 2020, 04:38 AM »
 Those off colored perch look great
 I’m taking a couple days off to give my back a rest and see what this weather is going to do , see if it’s back to lakers or back to chasing more perch

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4819 on: Feb 26, 2020, 05:52 AM »
I hope your back is ok Fred,..... the weather gets colder and stays cloudy, ....and you get back on the ice in the next day or two....looking forward to more of your reports and pictures.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4820 on: Feb 26, 2020, 06:16 AM »

Ill be out come he’ll or high water 🎣

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4821 on: Feb 26, 2020, 08:44 AM »
UGH! Bucket Back! I remember it soo well... >:(

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4822 on: Feb 26, 2020, 08:54 AM »
From the pic there was open water not far away , plus rocks showing
  Glad he’s ok

I looks like he was too close to the island...the sled looks like it's sitting on the bottom and he just got off and walked off like the article said...he got lucky...the couple who went in a few days prior were crossing in front of a creek mouth...Both places are somewhere you should avoid...they were inexperienced and not local...and were lost.
It's so hard to say, yes the ice is good and we're catching fish...but if you're not familar where the ice is good...you can get up to your neck in trouble or worse...So follow the crowd and don't get lost out there! Be safe, use your head and try to pay attention to where these guys are fishing...don't go out there blind...

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4823 on: Feb 26, 2020, 09:07 AM »
NICE, fresh fish, still floppin' on the table! Lol

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4824 on: Feb 26, 2020, 09:10 AM »
Here's a shot for Deady...Venison meatballs and spaghetti with portobella mushrooms...just as good as it gets.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4825 on: Feb 26, 2020, 10:26 AM »
lil soft on top but ice seems to be holding up well, hope we can avoid the lake effect and just get this weekends cold temps

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4826 on: Feb 26, 2020, 10:55 AM »
Picture posting test... smaller image size. It worked!

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4827 on: Feb 26, 2020, 11:10 AM »
lake was peaceful as can be this morning.........had a 12" perch in hand before I even got a rod in the water.......explanatio n: driving to my spot I spotted a fishing rod and upon investigation it was still in the water.....picked it up and set the hook and lo and behold a nice jumbo was on the ice......needless to say if anybody lost/left a rod out of William's let me know and I will get it back to you......ended up with 15 counting the freebie.......ice is sloppy on top but as Oneida 1 stated it seems to be holding .......need a freeze though

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4828 on: Feb 26, 2020, 12:25 PM »

Nice report guys and nothing like somebody leaving you a nice perch instead of 1 of those nasty eyes

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4829 on: Feb 26, 2020, 12:32 PM »
Nice report guys and nothing like somebody leaving you a nice perch instead of 1 of those nasty eyes
yessir........a dandy at that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.